clucasabbas

Expedite K1 Petition

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all, my fiance is currently a refugee in Italy (that came by way of Libya).  He has temporary citizenship there via, a sorgianno.  However,  he was just told that since he's a citizen of Ghana and there are no issues in Ghana, his sorgianno will expire on June 16, 2018.  We are currently in the middle of the process, we received our NOA1 on 11/13/18.  Would this situation be a vaild reason to request our application be expedited?  Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does it hurt to try? No. Might as well. Worst case is they deny the request.

Since he is a citizen of Ghana, and as they said there are not real "issues" in Ghana, I wouldn't get too hopeful and probably have to change the case over to the Ghana embassy.

Ghana is definately not as "easy" of embassy as Italy probably is; so if you have to transfer you should start reviewing the information available soon to be prepared.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

2 minutes ago, ceejack said:

Hi all, my fiance is currently a refugee in Italy (that came by way of Libya).  He has temporary citizenship there via, a sorgianno.  However,  he was just told that since he's a citizen of Ghana and there are no issues in Ghana, his sorgianno will expire on June 16, 2018.  We are currently in the middle of the process, we received our NOA1 on 11/13/18.  Would this situation be a vaild reason to request our application be expedited?  Thanks

Most likely no.  Expedites are not easy and generally they involve active military deployment.  There are financial and political reasons but right now those are very difficult to get.  I recommend filing for an expedite.  It won't hurt you.  I sincerely doubt if they will issue an expedite for your situation but I would certainly give it a try.  You may get lucky.  Even with an expedite, June 16 is approaching very fast.  Have a very strong "plan B" ready and I hope everything works out for you.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

Does it hurt to try? No. Might as well. Worst case is they deny the request.

Since he is a citizen of Ghana, and as they said there are not real "issues" in Ghana, I wouldn't get too hopeful and probably have to change the case over to the Ghana embassy.

Ghana is definately not as "easy" of embassy as Italy probably is; so if you have to transfer you should start reviewing the information available soon to be prepared.

Great point.  Ghana is a difficult embassy compared to Italy because of the very high fraud rates.

@ceejack, have a VERY STRONG Plan B.  Expect a lot of questions and have very good and verifiable proof of relationship.  This journey is not easy but being prepared for tough questions will help smooth things out.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can apply, but I would suggest you plan to transfer your case to the Ghana consulate..........I don't see enough time before he has to leave Italy.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, ceejack said:

Does anyone know what steps to take, to begin the transfer process?  

Contact USCIS and let them know.  They should handle the rest or point you in the correct direction.

IMG_5168.jpeg

44 minutes ago, ceejack said:

Thanks...my fiance just told me that he actually has to go back to court on June 15.  At that time, they'll decide how much longer he can stay in Italy.  

Hopefully by then you will have NOA2 and it will be easier for both of you.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So the reason for your expedite is that you do not want to go through the US Consulate in Ghana?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

USCIS may expedite a petition or application if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situation;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or national interest situation (These particular expedite requests must come from an official U.S. government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the government.);
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.

03/14/2018 I-129f Petition sent 

Timeline

Yes, we want to expedite because we're already far into the process & want to avoid prolonging it even more... if possible.  According to calculations we may have our NOA2 by May 16 of this year. But, you know that's just an estimate.

Thanks everyone for your responses & well wishes. I appreciate your replies.

3 minutes ago, ceejack said:

Yes, we want to expedite because we're already far into the process & want to avoid prolonging it even more... if possible.  According to calculations we may have our NOA2 by May 16 of this year. But, you know that's just an estimate.

I would focus on Plan B.  I do not see any reliable way that the interview will take place before he violates his visa stay in Italy.  If that happens you will not get an interview there anyway.  Wanting to speed up the process because you don't want to interview in your home country is not a valid expedite reason.

The expedite is a very very long shot so get yourself in a position to do this legally in Ghana.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline

Because of his refugee status, USCIS said we could qualify to request the app be expedited for Humanitarian reasons.  It's a shot in the dark but, we're going for it.  If he has to go to Ghana, that's no biggie but, since we've already stated in Italy & he'd like to stay there until we're approved(hopefully), we'd like to get the case expedited or at least get him an extension on his Italian temporary residency. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.