raphael2461

Help!! What do I do?? Green card is expiring

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

You can apply for citizenship on basis of 5 years as a US Permanent Resident and when you become a citizen they can NEVER deport you. No more worries PERIOD.

WIth a green card you still have to worry about stuff, like what if you get into a car accident and it's deemed you commited vehicular homicide.. with Trump finding ways to deport immigrants.. better to be safe than sorry.

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
16 hours ago, raphael2461 said:

So i can still reknew it even thpugh we are separated, he had signed a form stating he wpuld provide for me for the next 10 yrs. That would now be up, but I dont need him to provide becuase I work full time anyways.  Is that not a condition still?

After ROC there is no further need for anything but renewal or application for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
24 minutes ago, raphael2461 said:

I didnt know if i could apply for naturalization with my greencard expiring so soon.  Also have no idea how long it takes to get citizenship. All i know is I cant lose my job over immigration.I cant afford to lose my job.  This president and his actions and talk about immigration is scaring me even though I have done everything legal and right. Having my greencard expiring so soon has me so stressed out. 

I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. 

When is your GC expiring exactly?

You have been in US for more than 10 years. I assume you have met the naturalization eligibility requirements long time ago. No needing to worry about GC expiring and all that stuff. Citizenship process is taking from 10 months up, it could be less or it could be more. So the GC.

Needless to say, the sooner you start with the process for GC or citizenship the better.

The President talks (most of the time) about illegal immigration, so if you have done all correct then you should not worry at all. Now if you let that GC expire without applying for GC renewal or citizenship then it will be your fault, not Trumps. 

I would advise you to do the citizenship (if you met all the requirements) than GC renewal. This way you will never have to worry about GC expiring, etc. But that is just me. You do whatever you think its best for you.

13 minutes ago, jyaku said:

You can apply for citizenship on basis of 5 years as a US Permanent Resident and when you become a citizen they can NEVER deport you. No more worries PERIOD.

Well technically somebody can be denaturalized, but that's extremely rare and only if they determine that the person was not actually qualified for naturalization (i.e. if somebody committed fraud to obtain immigration benefits).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Well technically somebody can be denaturalized, but that's extremely rare and only if they determine that the person was not actually qualified for naturalization (i.e. if somebody committed fraud to obtain immigration benefits).

Interesting. I have read long time ago a newspaper article about the number of cases that went through "denaturalization", there were about 500 or so in one decade. It's not very common but it can happen. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am good as long as I have applied for renewel or naturalization before my greencard expires? I printed out the naturalization forms and filled them out. Have all my documents ready to copy . License, green card, BC, passport, SSI card. I just need to get 2 pictures to submit them. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, raphael2461 said:

So I am good as long as I have applied for renewel or naturalization before my greencard expires? I printed out the naturalization forms and filled them out. Have all my documents ready to copy . License, green card, BC, passport, SSI card. I just need to get 2 pictures to submit them. 

Photos are required only if applying for the N400 from outside of the US.  Since you reside in the US, you therefore do not need to submit photos---they will use the photo they take at your biometrics appointment for your certificate.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You might also qualify to apply for naturalization online.  My husband did that (based on 3 years), and we preferred it over sending in paper copies.  Just a thought...

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

Photos are required only if applying for the N400 from outside of the US.  Since you reside in the US, you therefore do not need to submit photos---they will use the photo they take at your biometrics appointment for your certificate.

Thank you for this info. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, visaqueries said:

You might also qualify to apply for naturalization online.  My husband did that (based on 3 years), and we preferred it over sending in paper copies.  Just a thought...

Where would I find the link to apply online? I saw one for reknewing the greencard but not for naturalization  i would prefer to do that. Then I wpuldnt be worried that the paperwork would get lost in the mail. 

Timeline
44 minutes ago, raphael2461 said:

Where would I find the link to apply online? I saw one for reknewing the greencard but not for naturalization  i would prefer to do that. Then I wpuldnt be worried that the paperwork would get lost in the mail. 

I applied online as well last year, highly recommend it.

Scroll halfway down the page to read how to apply online https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/log-online-filing 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Going through said:

I applied online as well last year, highly recommend it.

Scroll halfway down the page to read how to apply online https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/log-online-filing 

Thank you!

Timeline
1 minute ago, raphael2461 said:

Thank you!

You're welcome---there's also a big green button at the top of that page that says "Apply" when you are ready :) 

7 hours ago, jyaku said:

WIth a green card you still have to worry about stuff, like what if you get into a car accident and it's deemed you commited vehicular homicide.. with Trump finding ways to deport immigrants.. better to be safe than sorry.

Not entirely true.  For the OP most likely this is completely accurate, however if the US government does determine at some point in time you obtained your citizenship fraudulently or you commit a very serious crime against the US government they certainly can,  and have, revoke citizenship and deport someone.  But if you obtained your citizenship in a normal manner and don't plan on shooting anyone high up in the US government, chances are, you're pretty safe! 

As for the second part... chances are also slim. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.