EliAnon

Philippines Child Surname

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! 

This is my first post, and I had a question pertaining to Children of a mother that was had out of wedlock (not married ever). The father pays no child support and is not involved in the child's life at all. Since apparently the child has the surname of her 'legitimate', will this be a problem in the future during the journey of the K1 visa? I know that mothers have sole custody of their children in the Philippines until they are 7 and forever if had out of wedlock. I know about solo parent ID's. My question is "Do we need to get her last name changed in order to make the K1 Visa process smoother? What are some important steps we can take to make sure the child will be able to get her visa nearly the same time as her mother?"

I have done some looking around and can't find any concrete answers or solutions to this. If you know of any articles or a different place where I can inquire or read that woul help me, I would appreciate if you would link it to me!

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

every child has a father and no matter if father is in the child's life or not.  u need his permission to remove the child unles he has legally signed off all rights

changing a name will not affect this

even may have to prove with DNA that the person giving permission to have the child leave to the US,  is the real father

38 minutes ago, kris&me said:

every child has a father and no matter if father is in the child's life or not.  u need his permission to remove the child unles he has legally signed off all rights

even may have to prove with DNA that the person giving permission to have the child leave to the US,  is the real father

Please do not give bad advice to the OP if you do not know Philippine law.

1 hour ago, EliAnon said:

Hello! 

This is my first post, and I had a question pertaining to Children of a mother that was had out of wedlock (not married ever). The father pays no child support and is not involved in the child's life at all. Since apparently the child has the surname of her 'legitimate', will this be a problem in the future during the journey of the K1 visa? I know that mothers have sole custody of their children in the Philippines until they are 7 and forever if had out of wedlock. I know about solo parent ID's. My question is "Do we need to get her last name changed in order to make the K1 Visa process smoother? What are some important steps we can take to make sure the child will be able to get her visa nearly the same time as her mother?"

I have done some looking around and can't find any concrete answers or solutions to this. If you know of any articles or a different place where I can inquire or read that woul help me, I would appreciate if you would link it to me!

Thank you!

Does the child's bc list him as the father or is it blank? Either way of it was out of wedlock and the child is with her then he doesn't need to be involved at all. If it was out of wedlock then you are good to go with the embassy so don't worry. 

Be aware though that a lot of times the father will hear through the grapevine that the mother and child will be going to the USA soon. As you know all us Kanos are rich and so he might ask for some money for him not to be involved.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, kris&me said:

WRONG. The above is not correct for the Philippines

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/2/2018 at 8:56 PM, cyberfx1024 said:

Does the child's bc list him as the father or is it blank? Either way of it was out of wedlock and the child is with her then he doesn't need to be involved at all. If it was out of wedlock then you are good to go with the embassy so don't worry. 

Be aware though that a lot of times the father will hear through the grapevine that the mother and child will be going to the USA soon. As you know all us Kanos are rich and so he might ask for some money for him not to be involved.

Thank you for your answer. Of course she is saying ‘he is not like that’ but we all know an easy pay day is an easy pay day. I will keep that in mind, thank you again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.