Keith & Arileidi

Deported veteran Hector Barajas-Varela to become a U.S. citizen

70 posts in this topic

Yeah, we did establish our opinions in a previous posts.
And yes, we know why he was deported.

The argument you are trying to respond to was about the "liberal courts".

Edited by Keith & Arileidi

Filed: Timeline
8 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Yeah, we did establish our opinions in a previous posts.
And yes, we know why he was deported.

The argument you are trying to respond to was about the "liberal courts".

You said it was established in previous posts that he shouldn’t have been deported, which is patently false.

Now you are saying “our opinions” like all of us agree.  Uh uh.

Just trying to stay on topic.

Look, I get it, it sucks that a US Veteran would get deported.  It seems unfair, after serving his country.  And I happen to have a pretty strong affinity towards vets in general, it’s not like I am against them.  But... when he committed his crime, he was not a USC.  When it comes to the law, the judge(s) have to mete out a sentence commensurate with the crime under tha laws at that time, right?  As a non-USC, there is not a “remain in the US due to honorable military service” clause.  

If we need to discuss changing the laws to allow vets to automatically become citizens, we can start a new thread and have at it.  But not so sure it will end any differently than any other thread here.  Some think it should be “a given”, others want the requisite BG investigation that results to verify eligibility.  

I mean, come on... does it get ANY easer to become a USC if one joins the military?  One day of service, file an N400 the next day, pay nothing, and you will most likely be approved (pending BG checks, of course). Are you saying that there should be no N400 application and subsequent BG check just because someone enlists?  Is that what you want to see changed?

As for the left-leaning liberal aspect of this... are you denying that Gov. Brown, who pardoned this guy, isn’t liberal, and favors illegal aliens?  And even if he’s pardoned in CA, what will happen if he comes back, and applies for USC, but his deportation shows up in the federal system?  How hard will that be to overcome?

27 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

You said it was established in previous posts that he shouldn’t have been deported, which is patently false.

Look, I get it, it sucks that a US Veteran would get deported.  It seems unfair, after serving his country.  And I happen to have a pretty strong affinity towards vets in general, it’s not like I am against them.  But... when he committed his crime, he was not a USC.  When it comes to the law, the judge(s) have to mete out a sentence commensurate with the crime under tha laws at that time, right?  As a non-USC, there is not a “remain in the US due to honorable military service” clause.  

If we need to discuss changing the laws to allow vets to automatically become citizens, we can start a new thread and have at it.  But not so sure it will end any differently than any other thread here.  Some think it should be “a given”, others want the requisite BG investigation that results to verify eligibility.  

I mean, come on... does it get ANY easer to become a USC if one joins the military?  One day of service, file an N400 the next day, pay nothing, and you will most likely be approved (pending BG checks, of course). Are you saying that there should be no N400 application and subsequent BYou said it was established in previous posts that he shouldn’t have been deported, which is patently false.G check just because someone enlists?  Is that what you want to see changed?

As for the left-leaning liberal aspect of this... are you denying that Gov. Brown, who pardoned this guy, isn’t liberal, and favors illegal aliens?  And even if he’s pardoned in CA, what will happen if he comes back, and applies for USC, but his deportation shows up in the federal system?  How hard will that be to overcome?

Umm no it doesn't make it patently false.
I never challenged the legality of his deportation.

I think you are asking a lot of questions that I am not qualified to answer, but the Veteran is en-route to becoming a citizen.
Did you even bother to read the article?

"All dressed up in his U.S. military uniform and accompanied by his supporters, Hector Barajas-Varela received a life-changing announcement: April 13th will mark his naturalization ceremony in San Diego. "- NBC NEWS

Edited by Keith & Arileidi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
31 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

I mean, come on... does it get ANY easer to become a USC if one joins the military?  One day of service, file an N400 the next day, pay nothing, and you will most likely be approved (pending BG checks, of course). Are you saying that there should be no N400 application and subsequent BG check just because someone enlists?  Is that what you want to see changed?

We may have served the law in this man's deportation , but bringing him home and bestowing citizenship served justice. There is a difference.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

2 hours ago, IDWAF said:

Ok, so it’s a done deal.  Here’s hoping he doesn’t waste all this effort by actually connecting the bullet intended for another human being in the future.

You still haven't read the article? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Serious question, if one is an illegal alien and they serve, are they also allowed to apply for citizenship?  The reason I asked is that I was reading the DACA requirements the other day and it said someone with an honorable discharge from military service would be eligible for DACA (assuming other requirements are met) which implies that N400 is not an option for illegals.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

Serious question, if one is an illegal alien and they serve, are they also allowed to apply for citizenship?  The reason I asked is that I was reading the DACA requirements the other day and it said someone with an honorable discharge from military service would be eligible for DACA (assuming other requirements are met) which implies that N400 is not an option for illegals.

What is more interesting is that someone would put their life on the line in service to this country, get an honorable discharge, and still be labeled an Illegal.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

What is more interesting is that someone would put their life on the line in service to this country, get an honorable discharge, and still be labeled an Illegal.

Was that the question?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

On 4/1/2018 at 6:49 PM, IDWAF said:

I did.  Why?

"During his 10 years living in Mexico, Barajas-Varela founded, with the help of the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs in San Diego, the Deported Veterans Support House, known as the “Bunker.” Last year a congressional delegation, including Rep. Joaquín Castro, (D-TX), visited the center and advocated for the deported veterans. "Many of us believe that they should be allowed to become citizens," said Rep. Castro."

Hardly sounds like a person who wants to "connect a bullet". 

On 3/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, Póg mo said:

You are not getting what I am saying. If this guy had immediately filed for citizenship, after being discharged, he could commit any amount of crimes and not be deported, but because he didn't, he was deported. We don't know his mental state at the time of discharge from the military, and for all we know he could have been suffering severe post dramatic distress. 

One time after watching a production of The Crucible I think I had post-dramatic distress. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
17 minutes ago, bcking said:

One time after watching a production of The Crucible I think I had post-dramatic distress. 

Oops. 

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

"During his 10 years living in Mexico, Barajas-Varela founded, with the help of the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs in San Diego, the Deported Veterans Support House, known as the “Bunker.” Last year a congressional delegation, including Rep. Joaquín Castro, (D-TX), visited the center and advocated for the deported veterans. "Many of us believe that they should be allowed to become citizens," said Rep. Castro."

Hardly sounds like a person who wants to "connect a bullet". 

Ever hear of the concept that many people cannot be trusted?  It's not like he would tell them his plans to come back and murder someone,  if indeed that was what he intended.

45 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

Ever hear of the concept that many people cannot be trusted?  It's not like he would tell them his plans to come back and murder someone,  if indeed that was what he intended.

No, it's too pessimistic for me.