Ck207

N400 Seattle (merged)

3,836 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Seattle_ite said:

This is weird and confusing. When I check the USCIS case processing times for N-400, it says cases with a receipt date of March 05, 2018 are being processed at Seattle, WA. And per the link above, case filed 8/10/2018 is having an interview on 11/18/2019.

Receipt processing dates for N-400 at other locations: Spokane: June 9, 2018. Yakima: July 4, 2018. Portland: August 18, 2018.

March 5, 2018 is the 'Receipt date for a case inquiry', not the date that is being processed.

13 minutes ago, Curve said:

March 5, 2018 is the 'Receipt date for a case inquiry', not the date that is being processed.

I am confused now. Does it mean that you can call  and they will give you information if your case was filed prior to March 5, 2018?

Is not the same idea that they are processing cases received from that date onward?

5 minutes ago, GermanG said:

I am confused now. Does it mean that you can call  and they will give you information if your case was filed prior to March 5, 2018? 

Is not the same idea that they are processing cases received from that date onward?

If your PD falls before March 5, 2018, you may submit an outside normal processing time inquiry. Like @GermanG  said March 5 , 2018 is probably the oldest date they are currently processing. 

From USCIS Processing time page

We have posted a “Receipt date for a case inquiry" in the table below to show when you can inquire about your case. If your receipt date is before the “Receipt date for a case inquiry", you can submit an “outside normal processing time” service request online.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well folks just to give an account of my not successful interview (the officer decided that a decision couldn't be made and told me he would evaluate and make a decision about if he needed more documents).

Application sent on July 3 2018

Interview Scheduled on September for today 16th of october

I got there 10:40 and my interview was scheduled originally for 11:15.

From what I could grasp from the mess (there was so many people in the room. I would guess around 80+) the people whose interview had finished around 10:30  got the oath scheduled for the afternoon at 1:30 and the people that were leaving as I arrived got a letter saying to come back in a month or that they would receive a letter about when their oath would be scheduled.

I was finally called around noon. The interview went very smoothly. It took 25 min. 

First photo, biometric collection and some signatures and oath of truth.

Then in the sequence the officer did the reading and writing test (very simple like reading and writing a statement of 3 words). The questions were all in the easy side (no names of current politicians were asked and nothing really deep about the constitution. It is an oral test and not a multiple choice). 5 of them of civics and the last one about geography. I answered all correctly so the test ended by question number 6.

After that he went thru my n400 form (is that the name? the form we filled during the application) and asked about all my answers. I had an issue that I had highlighted during the application and was what lead to my "no decision". So he asked me if I could provide any documents about that but the document I gave him was long enough that he said he would take some time to analyze and because of that he would not make a decision). After that we went for the "300" questions that you answered about being a member of a militia or having some nuclear weapons or commited genocide and he read all really fast and I answered it the best I could.

Then he did a couple of updates in my application and gave me a piece of paper with all the options but with mine marked as decision couldn't be made...

Well... that is not the best result but is what happened! Glad I had all the possible documents with me but I am still in the limbo... My impression was that most of the people had their cases approved on the spot. Lots of families and a couple of people with lawyers.

Good luck for all and fingers crossed! The officer mentioned 30 days to a decision but in a way that in fact it will take a way longer than 30 days....

@promenad - thanks for posting your interview experience and congratulations on almost getting there.

I was exactly in the same boat as you ["decision cannot be made" etc.] about a month ago [my interview was on Sep 23]. And my oath is on Oct 24 so things can change really rapidly.

From what I have read on this thread, the "no decision" doesn't even delay the oath. For example my actual approval happened about 10 days after the interview but I am still taking oath within a month or so of the interview date. I find that is true of lot of other folks too who got approved but were unable to take oath the same day.

So relax and stay positive. All the best.

Edited by Sukhdeen Niwas

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Sukhdeen Niwas said:

@promenad - thanks for posting your interview experience and congratulations on almost getting there.

I was exactly in the same boat as you ["decision cannot be made" etc.] about a month ago [my interview was on Sep 23]. And my oath is on Oct 24 so things can change really rapidly.

From what I have read on this thread, the "no decision" doesn't even delay the oath. For example my actual approval happened about 10 days after the interview but I am still taking oath within a month or so of the interview date. I find that is true of lot of other folks too who got approved but were unable to take oath the same day.

So relax and stay positive. All the best.

Thanks Sukhdeen. I will try!!

Congratulations for having your case approved!

1 hour ago, washingtonian said:

Yes.

that explains why.

I am still struggling to figure out how long does it take for a combo filer to get an interview in Seattle.

Few people really seem to give accurate dates and, as time goes by, I think most part of the participants of the N-400 Seattle forum will be combo filers as well.

My dates are November 2017 ROC// October 2018 N400.

In December 2018, they did some kind of ping-pong with my ROC (I751) and went to my "local office'" and then was went  to St. Louis, MO (National Benefits Center).

My e-request that I did on September 25 inquiring about I751 expires today October 17 and they have not emailed me any response.

I will be calling Customer Service today to schedule another appointment and hopefully get my THIRD EXTENSION STAMP I551 and ask about both cases.

It's a big mystery once your case gets transferred to the National Benefit Center. I will keep everyone posted.

32 minutes ago, GermanG said:

that explains why.

I am still struggling to figure out how long does it take for a combo filer to get an interview in Seattle.

Few people really seem to give accurate dates and, as time goes by, I think most part of the participants of the N-400 Seattle forum will be combo filers as well.

My dates are November 2017 ROC// October 2018 N400.

In December 2018, they did some kind of ping-pong with my ROC (I751) and went to my "local office'" and then was went  to St. Louis, MO (National Benefits Center).

My e-request that I did on September 25 inquiring about I751 expires today October 17 and they have not emailed me any response.

I will be calling Customer Service today to schedule another appointment and hopefully get my THIRD EXTENSION STAMP I551 and ask about both cases.

It's a big mystery once your case gets transferred to the National Benefit Center. I will keep everyone posted.

I have just called Customer Service. This is the info that they gave me:

1- To schedule an Infopass (for those that need extension of I551 on your passport), you can do it in a window of time that starts 30 days before your expiration. In my case, my stamp expires on 01/04/2020 so I will be able to call from 12/4/19 onward.

2- For combo filers, the situation is confusing. The IO said that your ROC will get approved AFTER you go through the naturalization process. 

I didn't want to ask her back...but does it mean that I will go through the interview for naturalization in February 2020 and then wait till my I751 gets approved AFTERWARDS????

Very confusing!!

3- I mentioned that my ROC got transferred to the NBC back in December 2018 and she said "we cannot provide information about this center because they are processing your case" (??)

Conclusion: I will ask all the questions again in my Infopass in December.

Timeline

That was fast! I woke up today and the case was approved!!! Unbelievable! The Officer had told me it would take 30 days to get if needed a RFE but I guess the document I had was enough to satisfy the issue! So happy!!!

Now it says case completion January 2020!

I just created this account so I can add my experience here as well.

Not a combo filer. I applied for N400 on July 01, 2018. Got interview notice on Sep 11, 2019 for Oct 16, 2019 9.45 am interview.

My wife an I both had the same time (applied together). Reached at 9.20~ and checked in. We were in 70s in line.

We roughly had our interviews at 10am. My wife's number was called first and then I waited for 15 min before my number was called. In between some numbers higher than mine were called.

My interview was short about 10 min. Simple questions followed by N-400 questions about militia etc. (answer: NO) and some questions about will you serve US if necessary (answer: YES).

Officer said I will get oath on a different date since they are too full today, my wife will also have a future date. I said thanks and came outside. My wife was still not back from her interview. I was a bit concerned.

Then she came out and she passed as well. Apparently she got confused some N400 questions since she didn't go through them but she passed as well.  

However she was told she will get the oath for same day. That was another trouble.

In a little bit another officer came out handing oath letters to people. She got 10/16 and I got for 10/24. I spoke to that officer right then and he said he will try to reschedule and came back with new oath letter for same day. So we came back home at 4pm as US citizens :)

Edited by koold
typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.