Neonred

A Billionaire and a Nurse Shouldn't Pay the Same Fine for Speeding...

272 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
23 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

Read the post I quoted. You said in reply to  IDWAF, “ if you and spooky think that rich people have earned the right to break the law with little to no consequence, that’s your opinion. “  Show me where I said this.

She cannot show you where either of us said this.  She’s just grasping at straws.

1 minute ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

so to summarize what you said, you think rich people should be able to break the law with little or no consequences ?

that's how i read it. 100 dollars is not the same consequence to all people. 

1 minute ago, IDWAF said:

She cannot show you where either of us said this.  She’s just grasping at straws.

it's how i'm understanding your opinion. how is that grasping at straws exactly?

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

so to summarize what you said, you think rich people should be able to break the law with little or no consequences ?

No.  Are you having a redhead moment?  I think rich people should be punished equally as everyone else.  As in losing their license.

The fee structure of the intermediate fines may be more affordable for them, but as I said, those are just a way to offset the cost of the police officer doing his/her job (even if no one broke the law).  The true deterrrent is the LoL.

3 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

eating at MacDonald is a choice. So is breaking the speed limit, something I almost never do because I dont want to pay the fine and higher insurance 

but eating at mcdonalds is not a choice that includes breaking the law. good for you.

Just now, IDWAF said:

No.  Are you having a redhead moment?  I think rich people should be punished equally as everyone else.  As in losing their license.

The fee structure of the intermediate fines may be more affordable for them, but as I said, those are just a way to offset the cost of the police officer doing his/her job (even if no one broke the law).  The true deterrrent is the LoL.

now that, to me, sounds like grasping at straws.

4 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

if the fine amount is structured by income, there's no need to change when a person looses their license.

Off topic, to be sure, but those loose licenses have been known to be problematic.

2 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

it's how i'm understanding your opinion. how is that grasping at straws exactly?

Apologies then.  Not grasping at straws, rather a misunderstanding of my words or the concept of equality.

1 minute ago, IDWAF said:

Off topic, to be sure, but those loose licenses have been known to be problematic.

well...https://www.npr.org/2015/01/05/372691918/how-drivers-license-suspensions-unfairly-target-the-poor

1 minute ago, smilesammich said:

now that, to me, sounds like grasping at straws.

It might, if you’ve never gotten a speeding ticket.  Have you?

When I was younger, I did.  Several of them.  And even though I made about $3.25 an hour, and even though those fines stung a bit, want to know what made me stop disregarding the law, and other peoples’ safety? The idea that losing my license was coming up fast, and getting to work was going to be problematic with zero public transportation.  

My contributions to the policeman’s ball did nothing to slow me down for more than a few days, honestly.

3 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

That has nothing to do with loose licenses, but I think I am smelling what you are stepping in...

Poor people don’t travel first class very often.  Poor people don’t eat out as often.  Poor people don’t have big, expensive houses typically. Or drive fancy sports cars...  And poor people who cannot afford to pay the fine should recognize that their failure to pay a ticket has further consequences beyond the moment of the infraction.  Personal Responsibility.  Again.  No one should break the law, though probably everyone has at one time or another.  It’s a chance and a choice we take.  Sometimes you’re the windshield, and sometimes you’re the bug.

Just now, IDWAF said:

It might, if you’ve never gotten a speeding ticket.  Have you?

When I was younger, I did.  Several of them.  And even though I made about $3.25 an hour, and even though those fines stung a bit, want to know what made me stop disregarding the law, and other peoples’ safety? The idea that losing my license was coming up fast, and getting to work was going to be problematic with zero public transportation.  

My contributions to the policeman’s ball did nothing to slow me down for more than a few days, honestly.

i got one in like 2000 i think. 

more relevant to me is all the wealthy people i know who drive however they please, because the fines are not an issue. one came very close to losing his license (almost killed someone) but had a good lawyer and just got more fines. he paid way more for the lawyer..

"I want my kids to look up to me. I want my kids to be like, 'Me and my father did that,' or, 'I need these,' or 'I want these,' or, 'The school said I needed this,' " he says. "And I can't afford to buy it. Or I can't provide for my children. I don't want that to be that way."

Here’s another option... “I want my kids to know daddy didn’t break the law, thinking he could just skate, and they appreciate his example for how to get ahead in life.”

7 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

Bad example. This guy was a fool over $64.

for poor people, sometimes 64 dollars isn't doable..https://injusticetoday.com/fines-and-fees-explained-bf4e05d188bf

7 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

That has nothing to do with loose licenses, but I think I am smelling what you are stepping in...

Poor people don’t travel first class very often.  Poor people don’t eat out as often.  Poor people don’t have big, expensive houses typically. Or drive fancy sports cars...  And poor people who cannot afford to pay the fine should recognize that their failure to pay a ticket has further consequences beyond the moment of the infraction.  Personal Responsibility.  Again.  No one should break the law, though probably everyone has at one time or another.  It’s a chance and a choice we take.  Sometimes you’re the windshield, and sometimes you’re the bug.

no one is talking about buying stuff. we're talking about fines for breaking the law.

2 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

i got one in like 2000 i think. 

more relevant to me is all the wealthy people i know who drive however they please, because the fines are not an issue. one came very close to losing his license (almost killed someone) but had a good lawyer and just got more fines. he paid way more for the lawyer..

I figured as much; women are more likely to follow the laws (generally speaking).  Never knew one to come close to losing a license.  My ex, after getting caught speeding one time, cried her way out of the ticket.  Totally bogus, but a pretty face and some crocodile tears worked. After the cop told her to slow down and go on about her driving, she put it in reverse and backed into the grill of his police car. And STILL didn’t get a ticket.

I understand the frustration about the fines and the laws and lawyers.  It’s how our system works.  Everyone is sue happy.  I once got out of what would have been a BAD speeding ticket (reckless, actually) for going really fast on a really long and open road when I was in college; driving a friend to the funeral home because her brother had just been killed.  No one around, except the cop coming head-on to me doing about 90 in a 55.  Probably would have lost my license for a year on that offense alone.  But I hired an attorney, went back home, and a month later he called me to say it had been removed from my record, and all I had to do was pay a $100 fine.  Fair?  No.  But it worked.