AL-MJD

Singapore K1 filers (2017-18)

226 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
1 hour ago, cywrainide said:

Perhaps this might help! Fellow Singaporean, waiting to apply for the i-129F end of this year.

Singapore_interview_instructions.pdf

hey! since you haven't applied for I129F, perhaps you might want to look at other possible Visas. most K1 filers all over the world are waiting 6 to 8 months for their NOA2 (approval from USCIS) instead of the usual 3 to maximum 6 months. 

of course if you have the time and patience, all will be well. ❤

perhaps you can look at spousal visas.

cheers and thanks! xx

On 21/02/2018 at 10:24 AM, cywrainide said:

Perhaps this might help! Fellow Singaporean, waiting to apply for the i-129F end of this year.

Singapore_interview_instructions.pdf

Are there any reasons why you would want a K1 instead of a CR-1? Since the waiting time is going to be as long, and with a K1 you will still need to do adjustment of status, perhaps you might consider getting married and filing for a CR-1 instead? My husband and I considered the options and eventually went with a CR-1. Although that meant that we did a courthouse marriage with just us and the witnesses present, since we did not have the luxury of time together to plan a wedding, we will make up for it later on with a reception :) 

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see this thread!

Is there anyone applying for K1 in 2017 - 2018?

We filed in Nov 2017 and still waiting for NOA2.

If any one could share their experience after receiving NOA2 and how all the procedures are like in Singapore, that will be really appreciated!

I751:

Mailed: 3th May 2021

Delivered: 5th May 2021

Rejected due to missing signature: 26th May 2021

Resend: 26th May 2021

Delivered: 28th May 2021

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

@cywrainide@allisonf

Heyya fellow Singaporean-K1 filers.

I just thought you'd like a detailed update. I'm the beneficiary. I'm Singaporean.

My NOA1 was on 28/7/2017

Received NOA2 16/2/2018

For some strange reason, I have 2 NOA2 dates lol. Online says 21/2/2018, everywhere else says 16/2/2018. USPS misplaced our hardcopy letter, which is so very sad.

Anyways, I called in to NVC - (603)-334-0700 on 16th March 2018 (I was in U.S. then), and received awesome news. I am not very sure when NVC received our petition from USCIS, but they made a case for our petition on the 6th March (i.e. a case number was assigned).

You will need to call in to NVC to harass them for your case number, which starts with SGP btw, and an invoice ID number, which acts like a username-password to check online, the status of the courier of your petition-case from NVC to U.S. Embassy of Singapore.

NVC sent out our case to U.S. Embassy of Singapore on 15th March and the Embassy received our case on 19th March 2018. It sent out forms, copy of the I-129F, etc, to the mailing address provided on I-129F. These reached my home on 21st March, but I was in the States until 2nd April. This is called Packet 3.

These are the forms that are part of Packet 3.

1. Letter that Embassy is ready to process your case -- has case number and full name of beneficiary on it.

2. Letter to request for COC(police certificate) -- you will need to scan this letter to upload into your application for Singapore police certificate(COC), along with scans of beneficiary IC front, IC back, passport biometric page, and a digital copy of Singapore-passport-sized photo. There is a $55 fee.

After sending your application for COC, you will be asked to make an appointment online to go to Police Cantonment Complex at Outram Park for fingerprinting. You legit can book an appointment on the day itself. You can take an underpass via the MRT Station there, follow the directions to the complex's Block D, you will need to surrender an ID(NRIC or Driver's License) for a visitor pass then proceed through security checks to level 2. Show your appointment notice to the men at the counter and follow the men's instructions. Don't forget to return your visitor's pass.

3. Letter for medical appointment -- You're just going to have to call-in to the number on the letter to schedule an appointment. You will need to inform them that you are scheduling one for a U.S. Visa. You don't need to wait very long for one. Ladies should make an appointment outside of their period duration, at least 3 days before her period starts or 3 days after it has ended. They will send you a pre-registration form via e-mail, you will need to complete it and send it back to their e-mail, along with a scan of your passport biometric page and this letter before your appointment date.

On the day itself, you need to produce 4 Singapore-passport-sized photos which are the same(3 for children). You will need to bring your original passport and the letter on Number 1, the one with your case number and name on it, as well as vaccinations history.

Currently I have no details on how the medical goes, my appointment is on 9th April. But, the fees are a minimum of $320(before GST); $150 Visa medical exam, $135 lab tests, $35 chest x-ray. Additional fees for vaccines, which I will talk about after my medical appointment.

4. I-130 and I-130 instructions. This is the affidavit of support. When you read about it here on VJ, you will see many people saying a photocopy of the sponsor(s)'(petitioner's included) signature will suffice. Some will say their consulates only accept wet ink signatures. I was in the States, and I asked my Baby to sign me I-130s before I left for Singapore, therefore I'm doing this in wet-ink.

5. Brochure on domestic violence, and information on assistance available to the beneficiary in United States.

6. Copy of the I-129F sent by the petitioner -- this is important, this will have the beneficiary's new A-number, needed on the I-130.

OKAY, THESE ARE THE IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT OF THE LOT.

• CHECKLIST.

This will list all the things that you need. You only gather the documents that pertain to you.

1. Complete DS-160. 

This form will ask for your Singapore passport book number. It is the same as your Singaporean passport number. I'm not going to be familliar with book numbers for passports of other countries. You will also need a digital copy of U.S.-passport-sized photo.

You don't have to complete it in one sitting, in fact I encourage you to partially-complete it after receiving a case number. The application number is valid for 30 days.

You must print out 2 photocopies of the confirmation page only.

2. Payment information.

You will need to pay US$265 in SG$357.75 through Singpost or S.A.M.. You need to print out a DMV deposit slip which is remarkably easy to find online even without the website listed on the checklist.

3. Documents: Passport, Birth Certificate or the best possible secondary evidence, Police Certificate(COC), Police Cerificates from all other countries that you have lived in for more than 6 months after the age of 16, or have been arrested in. Court and Prison records, Military records, 2 colour photographs in U.S.-passport-size. Marriage certiificates and/or termination of previous marriage(s) document(s) of both petitioner and beneficiary. Evidence of support, which is I-130 Affidavit of Support. Medical Examination. Evidences of relationship. And translations of any document that is not in English.

•Form

It's really just a declaration form that you have everything ready for an interview and that you know that you are not guaranteed a Visa approval until a consular officer interviews and approves you.

After you are done with all of that, you will need to mail back the form, the checklist, one of the photocopies of the DS-160 confirmation page and the original receipt you get from paying the DMV, back to the office. Only these 4 need to be mailed. Do not mail anything else, do not mail your original or photocopies of documents.

I had it mailed to:

Embassy of United States of America, Singapore

Consular section, Immigrant Visa Unit

27 Napier Road

Singapore 258508

I decided to mail it by registered mail. You don't have to. It's just that the Immigrant Visa unit is not able to tell you if they have received your documents. Since it's registered mail and that's only available on Singpost counters, I paid my DMV fees literally 10 mins before I mailed these 4 things to the Embassy.

So I mailed packet 3 back to the Embassy on 3rd April, registered mail informed me that the Embassy received it on 5th April, and I got an e-mail notification on 6th April, saying that my interview is on 24th April. They will send this interview notification to the e-mail you provide on the form that you mailed back to them. You must print this e-mail to bring to the interview.

So conclusion, prepare all original documents that pertains to you beforehand. Remember to make photocopies, the interview notice will reflect that they want photocopies, but the checklist will not.

You will receive the COC on the spot after your fingerprinting, which confuses me too because the Embassy letter says the Police Complex will send it straight to the Embassy. Maybe I did something wrong somewhere in the application, who knows?

It allegedly takes maximum 2 weeks for the medical exam to reach the embassy, something I will confirm later.

Feel free to mail back the packet 3 sooner than you receive your COC or medical exam date.

I wish you all the best. (:

Timeline

Mistakes. Many mistakes I made in my previous post.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:57 PM, AL-MJD said:

3. Letter for medical appointment -- They will send you a pre-registration form via e-mail, you will need to complete it and send it back to their e-mail, along with a scan of your passport biometric page and this letter(#1) before your appointment date.

On the day itself, you need to produce 4 Singapore-passport-sized photos which are the same(3 for children). You will need to bring your original passport and the letter on Number 1, the one with your case number and name on it, as well as vaccinations history.

#1: You will need to scan the letter that has your case number and name, the same letter that you will bring to the medical appointment and not the Letter for Medical Appointment, which turns out to be nothing more than instructions. 

4. I-130(#2) and I-130 instructions. This is the affidavit of support. Some will say their consulates only accept wet ink signatures. I was in the States, and I asked my Baby to sign me I-130s before I left for Singapore, therefore I'm doing this in wet-ink.

6. Copy of the I-129F sent by the petitioner -- this is important, this will have the beneficiary's new A-number, needed on the I-130.

#2: I meant I-134 Affidavit of Support. I don't know why I keep making this mistake of calling it I-130.

• CHECKLIST.

3. Documents: Passport, Birth Certificate or the best possible secondary evidence, Police Certificate(COC), Police Cerificates from all other countries that you have lived in for more than 6(#3) months after the age of 16, or have been arrested in. Evidence of support, which is I-130(#4) Affidavit of Support. Medical Examination. Evidences of relationship. And translations of any document that is not in English.

#3: Sorry, you need to gather police certificates from countries that you have been in for more than 12 months, not 6, since attaining the age of 16. But you need to obtain a police certificate from country of nationality and country of residence if you have lived in the countries mentioned for 6 months or more after attaining the age of 16.

Additional notes: The checklist does explicitly inform that police certificates must not be older than 6 months when presented to the consular office.

#4: Again with my I-130 mistakes. I meant I-134. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Timeline

MEDICAL APPOINTMENT 9/4/18:

I made a medical appointment on 9th April at 10am.

It is advisable for you to make an appointment and reach the clinic 30 minutes before your appointment.

I reached the clinic at 9.54am. It is located on the 25th floor in Ngee Ann City Office Block B. It is at the Wisma Atria side of the building, not the Takashimaya/Mandarin Gallery side. It is located at the back. There are directions to the lift lobby on the building walls if you walk outside from Wisma Atria. There are allocated elevators for the upper floors on the building.

I went into the clinic and asked the counter for pre-registration for my U.S. Visa medical appointment at 10am. They asked me to write my name on a list and have a sit. Perhaps because I did not arrive 30 minutes prior to my appointment time, I waited 1 hour before they called my name. They asked for my passport(which they kept), 4 SG-passport-photos(they erased one side of the white background and asked me to sign on all 4 photos) and my consular letter that has my name and case number on it(photocopied then returned it). They gave me a piece of paper that declares that I am aware I must take a chest x-ray for the Visa medical exam. The lady at the counter told me I have to give this to the consular officer during my interview.

I was given a cup for urine sample and told to knock on Room 6 after filling it to place it in a basin there. I was SMS-ed a queue number and waited 35 more minutes to be called into Room 4 where I was given back my passport. The lady doctor asked me questions about my medical history, if I have smoked, etc. She took my forehead temperature, blood pressure. She wrote all this down on a report that she passed to me to hand to the registration counter. I was told to sit and wait.

The next doctor at Room 6 called my name after 20 minutes. He asked if I ever had chicken pox. He offered a titre test, saying that if results come out negative for varicella antibodies, I have to take Varicella shots. I told him that is alright because I already took Varicella shots. He asked how recent they were. I hand him my vaccinations record. He drew blood from me.

I waited outside for another 15 minutes before another lady asked me to follow her into a room, asked about the start date of my last period, asked if I were pregnant and told me to sign a little form consenting to the x-ray and stating that I wasn't pregnant. I believe measures are taken if pregnant, like it does state on the piece of paper I received from the registration-counter lady that something will be wrapped around the tummy area? Amyways, I then had to remove my top, bra, necklace and tie up my hair. She gave me a CD of my chest x-ray, in case consular officers asked me for it.

15 minutes later, the last doctor called me and asked me about my vaccinations record. Apparently, she is the one that administers shots. I had previously taken MMR, DPT and Varicella shots at Woodlands Polyclinic on 1st March 2018. She told me I have to get an Influenza shot but I told her that I have already taken one but I did not have the certificate for it (because I thought Influenza shots were only for during the flu season). She told me that I can return to the clinic I took the shot from and e-mail a photo of the certificate. She did an eye-exam, colour blindness exam and took my height and weight.

I paid $342.40: $150 US Visa Medical Exam, $135 Laboratory, $35 Chest X-Ray, $22.40 GST(7%).

I believe $342.40 is the minimum anyone must pay? There are reviews from K1 beneficiaries saying they paid up to $600, which could be a vaccinations thing. I asked a VJ member who did a medical exam last July, receiving a Varicella titre test, MMR, Influenza and DTP vaccines, she paid $575.

Personally, I did my vaccines at a polyclinic(or you can even get them at TTSH) because some vaccines are medisave-claimable. For me, MMR($30 at Polyclinic) and Varicella($72 at Polyclinic) are medisave claimable. I ever only paid out of my pocket $50 for DPT Boostrix and $25 for Influenza. Relative to the other VJ member, I save about $150.

I strongly believe if you can, and especially if you are a Singaporean, take your vaccinations at a Polyclinic. You will need to send an online request for appointment and they will offer you appointment one month after.

Vaccinations for me went as follows:

28th November '17:

1) Influenza shot $25

1st March '18:

1)Varicella(free/medisave): $72

2)MMR(free/medisave): $30

3)TDaP: $50

1st June '18:

1) 2nd shot of Varicella(free/medisave).

Do the maths.

Good luck on your journey! (:

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Guys, I overprepared my photocopies. :lol:

Find attached the packet 3 checklist(letter), packet 4 checklist(e-mail for interview) and finally a checklist I received upon entering the interview room in the embassy. Do note that you may still be required to submit other documents that only pertain to you.

As you can see there are some things on the packet 3 checklist that doesn't need to be submitted as per the checklist received in the interview room. I did not need the 2nd photocopy of the DS-160 confirmation page for example.

At window 7, I submitted:

1. original passport,

2. two recent 2in×2in photo -- note that checklist received at interview room did not specify 2 but I submitted 2,

3. orginal birth certificate and photocopy

4. petitioner's certified copy divorce decree and photocopy,

5. original police certificate

6. I-134 and supporting documents (2× employment letter and 2× bank letter),

7. 2× photocopy of petitioner's 2017 W2,

8. original deed poll and photocopy (see, you may need documents that uniquely pertain to you).

Those returned to me at window 8 were original birth certificate, certified copy of divorce decree, photocopy of divorce decree (i saw through the window, the officer had the copy my Baby sent with his petition) and original deed poll.

I had my Baby's Form 1040 most recent tax returns from 2016. I did not hand it to the officer but he saw I had it and asked me for it but when I told him my fiancé's most recent tax return is from 2016, he said "then nevermind".

I did not submit any evidence of relationship, but did not even realize it until I was minutes into a phone call with my future hubby outside the embassy. We think it could be that he sent 3 photographs of us with his petition? I don't know, I mean the Packet 4 and checklist I received in interview room does not list evidence of relationship.

After answering all the interview questions, I was told that I could expect my visa in my passport delivered by Aramex within 2 weeks and congratulations. This made me run out to grab my phone and call my sleeping future hubby, not realizing that they didn't ask for any evidence of relationship.

I wrote a detailed review that you can find on the Main Menu tab > Office Reviews & Info. Or it could be on my K1 timeline? 

I'll leave it to you on how best you want to prepare for your interviews.

All the best and cheers! xx

P/S: Attached are checklist from Packet 4(interview notice) and the one I received from interview. Packet 3 on next post.]

Screenshot_20180425-092427.png

Screenshot_20180425-095311.png

Edited by AL-MJD

Timeline

Update

Interview done on 24th April. The consulate officer approved my visa.

Fast-forward 2nd May, I just received my passport with visa and a sealed package this afternoon via Aramex home-delivery. This came with a notice NOT to open the sealed package and stated that it can only be opened by customs or public health officers. 

EXTRA INFO

After the interview, I checked CEAC status case tracker (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=WwjqOlbeRYzCYubaSQI+RA==) daily. 

On Interview day 24/4, Case Last Updated changed from 19-MAR-2018 -- this was when Embassy received case from NVC and was ready to interview me -- to 24-Apr-2018, status still "Ready".

On 27/4, the Case Created and Case Last Updated both changed to 27-Apr-2018, with status reading "Application Received". On 30/4, the Case Last Updated changed to 30-Apr-2018, status now reading "Issued". Aramex delivered my passport and package on 2nd May.

Something to note, the visa in my passport reads an issued date of 30APR2018 and 1st May is a Singaporean public holiday Labour Day. I read some posts here that Singapore visa applicants could pick-up their passports one day after approval, whereas home delivery takes 3-5 working days. I'm trying to state that I effectively received my passport through home-delivery within one working day from the Issued Date as well. I don't know whether it's the same thing. #shrugs

I will only be travelling after the fasting month, which is 16th June earliest. You will find another review about my point-of-entry experience then.

Good luck and may your journey after NOA2 be as smooth as mine. xx

Edited by AL-MJD

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

On 5/2/2018 at 8:24 PM, AL-MJD said:

Update

Interview done on 24th April. The consulate officer approved my visa.

Fast-forward 2nd May, I just received my passport with visa and a sealed package this afternoon via Aramex home-delivery. This came with a notice NOT to open the sealed package and stated that it can only be opened by customs or public health officers. 

EXTRA INFO

After the interview, I checked CEAC status case tracker (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=WwjqOlbeRYzCYubaSQI+RA==) daily. 

On Interview day 24/4, Case Last Updated changed from 19-MAR-2018 -- this was when Embassy received case from NVC and was ready to interview me -- to 24-Apr-2018, status still "Ready".

On 27/4, the Case Created and Case Last Updated both changed to 27-Apr-2018, with status reading "Application Received". On 30/4, the Case Last Updated changed to 30-Apr-2018, status now reading "Issued". Aramex delivered my passport and package on 2nd May.

Something to note, the visa in my passport reads an issued date of 30APR2018 and 1st May is a Singaporean public holiday Labour Day. I read some posts here that Singapore visa applicants could pick-up their passports one day after approval, whereas home delivery takes 3-5 working days. I'm trying to state that I effectively received my passport through home-delivery within one working day from the Issued Date as well. I don't know whether it's the same thing. #shrugs

I will only be travelling after the fasting month, which is 16th June earliest. You will find another review about my point-of-entry experience then.

Good luck and may your journey after NOA2 be as smooth as mine. xx

Thanks for all the information you've provided! It will really help for when my packet 3 arrives and when I need to go get my medical done, hehe.

It's really hard to find up to date information for Singapore filers just because there are so few of us, so I really do appreciate these posts.

Also, congratulations! I wish you all the best in your marriage! :) Woohoo!

I-129F Filed: 11 October 2017

I-129F NOA1: 16 October 2017

I-129F NOA2: 21 April 2018 

NVC Received: 14 May 2018 

Case Number Assigned: 16 May 2018

NVC Left: 18 May 2018

Embassy Received: 21 May 2018

Packet 3 Received: 24 May 2018

Medical: 30 May 2018

Packet 4 Received: 21 June 2018

Interview Date: 10 July 2018 (Approved)

Visa on Hand: 21 July 2018

Port of Entry: Seattle, 12 August 2018

Timeline

Just some side info: the I-134 brought to the interview can be a scanned copy.

I emailed the embassy and they responded that a good scanned copy is all right for the interview. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everyone! Just did my medical today, so I'll share my experience as well. :)

My medical was scheduled for 30th May 2018, at this point I still don't have my interview date yet and there were no issues.

My appointment time was 11.30am.

EXPERIENCE

I arrived 11am, went to counter for registration, they told me to write my name down on a list and to wait.

11.15am: I was asked for my passport and 4 passport pictures (had to sign on the white background in the corner). They had my consulate letter and form on hand (things you email them for the confirmation) so they told me I didn't need to give them one.

11.30am: given a cup for urinalysis (I couldn't pee so this took super long. LOL. I think I re-entered the clinic at about 12.10pm)

12.10 to 12.30pm: Took a blood test and subsequently had to take 2 vaccines (Boostrix and MMR) cause my previous Tetanus jab wasnt a combination vaccine & they said my MMR jab from when I was a child is probably invalid. :jest:

I had chicken pox before so I wasn't administered Varicella but was told they'd do a blood test and I'd have to return if I required it.

12.30pm: Called over to wait outside x-ray room for chest x-ray. Given a CD of the chest x-ray to bring to usa (for POE you might be asked to give them the CD. If not you can keep it. :))

12.35pm: Called to a room for a medical history questionnaire. Basic lung and abdomen tests. 

12.45pm: Vision tests (Acuity and Colourblindess), measurement of height/weight.

12.55pm: Payment (boo!)

Overall it took about 3hrs: probably shorter if you have a bladder that will cooperate with you :')

Everyone was very friendly in the clinic, so it was kind of nice.

COSTS

Medical Fee: $150

Laboratory Fee: $177

X-Ray: $35

Vaccinations: Priorix (MMR) - $75 / Boostrix (Tdap) - $75

Total + GST (7%): $512 + 35.84 = $547.84

-----------

So yeah, DEFINITELY take your vaccinations at polyclinics or hospitals, they're going to be WAY cheaper + some are medisave claimable.

Edited by Guacamole

On 5/30/2018 at 9:27 PM, Guacamole said:

Hi everyone! Just did my medical today, so I'll share my experience as well. :)

My medical was scheduled for 30th May 2018, at this point I still don't have my interview date yet and there were no issues.

My appointment time was 11.30am.

EXPERIENCE

I arrived 11am, went to counter for registration, they told me to write my name down on a list and to wait.

11.15am: I was asked for my passport and 4 passport pictures (had to sign on the white background in the corner). They had my consulate letter and form on hand (things you email them for the confirmation) so they told me I didn't need to give them one.

11.30am: given a cup for urinalysis (I couldn't pee so this took super long. LOL. I think I re-entered the clinic at about 12.10pm)

12.10 to 12.30pm: Took a blood test and subsequently had to take 2 vaccines (Boostrix and MMR) cause my previous Tetanus jab wasnt a combination vaccine & they said my MMR jab from when I was a child is probably invalid. :jest:

I had chicken pox before so I wasn't administered Varicella but was told they'd do a blood test and I'd have to return if I required it.

12.30pm: Called over to wait outside x-ray room for chest x-ray. Given a CD of the chest x-ray to bring to usa (for POE you might be asked to give them the CD. If not you can keep it. :))

12.35pm: Called to a room for a medical history questionnaire. Basic lung and abdomen tests. 

12.45pm: Vision tests (Acuity and Colourblindess), measurement of height/weight.

12.55pm: Payment (boo!)

Overall it took about 3hrs: probably shorter if you have a bladder that will cooperate with you :')

Everyone was very friendly in the clinic, so it was kind of nice.

COSTS

Medical Fee: $150

Laboratory Fee: $177

X-Ray: $35

Vaccinations: Priorix (MMR) - $75 / Boostrix (Tdap) - $75

Total + GST (7%): $512 + 35.84 = $547.84

-----------

So yeah, DEFINITELY take your vaccinations at polyclinics or hospitals, they're going to be WAY cheaper + some are medisave claimable.

Hi Guacamole, thanks for sharing these information. Do you mind share your timeline for NOA1, NOA2 and NVC received your case and receiving packet 3?

Thanks a lot!

I have received NOA2 and still waiting for the next steps. But not sure how long on average the rest of those steps will take. Appreciate!

I751:

Mailed: 3th May 2021

Delivered: 5th May 2021

Rejected due to missing signature: 26th May 2021

Resend: 26th May 2021

Delivered: 28th May 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.