Jump to content
brener69

Beginning K1 journey

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

 

I have really learned a lot of information from this site. I had a couple questions about the Consulate in Vietnam. I am planning my first trip to Vietnam in May and we are hoping to file the I-129F when I return. I plan to propose to her while I am there and we will have a small engagement party with her family. I would like to go back for her interview if I am able. 

 

1) Does the Consulate frown upon small engagement parties? I am not able to afford a full Đám Hỏi as I am saving up just to be able to make the trip and file the paperwork. 

2) How big is the Consulate on multiple trips to see my fiancee and would they count me coming to the interview as a second trip?

 

Thanks for your advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ummm no experience with Vietnam but in most cases, the embassy has no issues with a small engaged ceremony. My now husband and I had ours and it was ok. BUT make sure it doesn’t look like a religious ceremony. I’ve seen cases in india and a few african countries were engagement celebrations comes with blessings and some embassies take this as weddings even if it not a legal ceremony. Forcing couples to pursuit different routes.

 

you must comply with “meeting in person within 2 years” BUT you should definitely have more than one, preferred. My fiance and I applied after 2 months into dating (long distance) so we had like 4 trips together. Unless that 1st trip was for a month of more, try to visit at least one more time before the interview 


OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

 

2011

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

 

2012

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

 

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

 

2016

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

                  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, brener69 said:

Hello, 

 

I have really learned a lot of information from this site. I had a couple questions about the Consulate in Vietnam. I am planning my first trip to Vietnam in May and we are hoping to file the I-129F when I return. I plan to propose to her while I am there and we will have a small engagement party with her family. I would like to go back for her interview if I am able. 

 

1) Does the Consulate frown upon small engagement parties? I am not able to afford a full Đám Hỏi as I am saving up just to be able to make the trip and file the paperwork. 

2) How big is the Consulate on multiple trips to see my fiancee and would they count me coming to the interview as a second trip?

 

Thanks for your advice.

There is a regional section on this forum and it has Vietnam specific questions that can more than likely be answered there.


Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andrea&Henry said:

Ummm no experience with Vietnam but in most cases, the embassy has no issues with a small engaged ceremony. My now husband and I had ours and it was ok. BUT make sure it doesn’t look like a religious ceremony. I’ve seen cases in india and a few african countries were engagement celebrations comes with blessings and some embassies take this as weddings even if it not a legal ceremony. Forcing couples to pursuit different routes.

 

you must comply with “meeting in person within 2 years” BUT you should definitely have more than one, preferred. My fiance and I applied after 2 months into dating (long distance) so we had like 4 trips together. Unless that 1st trip was for a month of more, try to visit at least one more time before the interview 

Thank you very much. I am going to be with her for 9 days so I have to use up all of my vacation time and I will not have more until November which I am guessing would be around the time of her interview. I would like to make 1 more trip but I am not sure if I need to be there for the interview or not. I would like to be there for her and I know she would like me to be there as well. My company accrues vacation on a 6 months basis so i would only ever be able to go twice a year. If I go in November I wouldn't be able to go again until May assuming I use all my vacation to visit her in November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

There is a regional section on this forum and it has Vietnam specific questions that can more than likely be answered there.

Thanks Chris, I was trying to figure out where to post but I did not see the Vietnam forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, brener69 said:

Thanks Chris, I was trying to figure out where to post but I did not see the Vietnam forum.

When you start asking specific question regarding embassy and consulate your will probably find a quicker and correct answer here.  http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/136-vietnam/

 

This area tends to be more generic questions


Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chris Duffy said:

When you start asking specific question regarding embassy and consulate your will probably find a quicker and correct answer here.  http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/136-vietnam/

 

This area tends to be more generic questions

Thank you very much! I will ask it there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, brener69 said:

Thank you very much. I am going to be with her for 9 days so I have to use up all of my vacation time and I will not have more until November which I am guessing would be around the time of her interview. I would like to make 1 more trip but I am not sure if I need to be there for the interview or not. I would like to be there for her and I know she would like me to be there as well. My company accrues vacation on a 6 months basis so i would only ever be able to go twice a year. If I go in November I wouldn't be able to go again until May assuming I use all my vacation to visit her in November.

If you cannot make another visit before the interview I strongly recommend you to gather qs much proof of a bonafide relationship as you can for the interview. There are guidelines here with idea of items, documents, etc that can support your case.

 

and yes, having your fiance there helps a lot!! My now husband, decided to joined me in my k1 interview and it made a world of a difference in my case. He made me feel extremely confident plus it kept me company foe the 5.5 hours we were there. We had another k1 visa applicant on the same day we had our interview. She was by herself and it because it was an open booth right in front of us, We heard her whole interview and it was looooong. She got approved. When my turn came, after 2-4 questions the IO noticed my then fiance was there and called him. She asked him 2 questions and we were approved on the spot. Super quick! I think his presence helped our case and saved me 200 questions


OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

 

2011

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

 

2012

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

 

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

 

2016

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

                  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andrea&Henry said:

If you cannot make another visit before the interview I strongly recommend you to gather qs much proof of a bonafide relationship as you can for the interview. There are guidelines here with idea of items, documents, etc that can support your case.

 

and yes, having your fiance there helps a lot!! My now husband, decided to joined me in my k1 interview and it made a world of a difference in my case. He made me feel extremely confident plus it kept me company foe the 5.5 hours we were there. We had another k1 visa applicant on the same day we had our interview. She was by herself and it because it was an open booth right in front of us, We heard her whole interview and it was looooong. She got approved. When my turn came, after 2-4 questions the IO noticed my then fiance was there and called him. She asked him 2 questions and we were approved on the spot. Super quick! I think his presence helped our case and saved me 200 questions

I think I am leaning towards going to the interview rather than make a second trip and having her do the interview alone. Like you said it made a big difference having your fiancee there. I think that shows a lot of commitment being there for the interview too. Thank you so much. I start looking at everything we must do and get a little overwhelmed sometimes. I am so glad I found VJ as it gives me confidence hearing from people who have made the journey themselves! Good luck to you both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Moved to the Vietnam forum, from K1 P&P. Also removed the Dupe thread that had no replies.~~


Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they care how big the engagementceremony or reception is, as long as you don't have a wedding :) 

 

I met my then-fiancee once and filed the I-129F right after. I came back the 2nd time to attend the interview with her. You don't need to have multiple trips as long as your relationship is genuine, there is nothing to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 4:31 PM, brener69 said:

Hello, 

 

I have really learned a lot of information from this site. I had a couple questions about the Consulate in Vietnam. I am planning my first trip to Vietnam in May and we are hoping to file the I-129F when I return. I plan to propose to her while I am there and we will have a small engagement party with her family. I would like to go back for her interview if I am able. 

 

1) Does the Consulate frown upon small engagement parties? I am not able to afford a full Đám Hỏi as I am saving up just to be able to make the trip and file the paperwork. 

2) How big is the Consulate on multiple trips to see my fiancee and would they count me coming to the interview as a second trip?

 

Thanks for your advice.

My first trip was with a tour group and met her for the first time.  My second trip was to meet her and her family in the country side and to take photos to use as evidence for relationship.  I filed I-129 once I returned and used the pictures as evidence.  3rd trip was to attend the visa interview and once she passed the interview my wife wanted to take pictures wearing a wedding gown and have a small family gathering/dinner.   At the interview my wife was asked if she had a wedding or ceremony.  She told them she did not but will eventually have one soon.  She passed the interview without any wedding ceremony or party.    The 4th trip I visited her to escort her to U.S. and have the Vietnamese wedding ceremony and party with her friends/family and more wedding picture in her native wedding gown.  I used these pictures for AOS.   The picture taken on my 3rd trip was put in a big frame to be displayed at the wedding party.  In retrospect, everything all worked out without any planning.  Just go with the flow.

 

Good luck to you.

Edited by poh

 

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-10-17, Approved!:D

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

Married:                                                              2018-1-8

SS Card Received:                                             2018-1-16

SS Application Sent(Name Change):             2018-1-17

AOS Application Sent:                                      2018-2-8

SS Card Received (Name Change):               2018-2-12

 

AOS Application Delivered:                             2018-2-13

AOS Application Accepted:                             2018-2-22

AOS NOA1 Received:                                        2018-2-26

AOS/EAP Biometrics NOA Received:            2018-3-2

AOS/EAP Biometrics Appointment:               2018-3-12

Interview Scheduled:                                         2018-7-6  

EAP/AP Card Received:                                   2018-7-19

Original interview Date :                                     2018-8-24  (USCIS Rescheduled due to Hurricane):cry:

Rescheduled Interview Date :                           2018-10-2, Approved!!  :D

GC Received :                                                     2018-10-18 :thumbs:

SS Card Update :                                                2018-10-19

SS Card Received:                                              2018-10-26
event.png


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...