11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just joined this community and feel so blessed that I found here! I hope everyone is doing well :)

I am preparing marriage based green card by myself, and have a question on maiden name and married name.  Could you please help me on these questions? I wrote down my situation using bullet points. 

1) I just got the marriage certificate, but was told by Vital record office that Ilinois only shows the maiden name on the marriage certificate and there is no such thing like "married name" field on the certificate. 

2) I prepared all the documents with my married name even though marriage certificate only has the maiden name. 

3) However, I already have my SSN with my maiden name. My passport also shows my maiden name. My country does not change the last name even though I am married. 

In this situation, I have two concerns regarding the name.

1) filing green card with my married name would be an issue? I am very worried if having only maiden name in my marriage certificate would be enough to show the name change. 

2) My last document that I have to get is i-693. In this case, should I get this i-693 under my maiden name? or should it be my new name? Actually, I have no idea if I even have a married name since marriage certificate only shows my maiden name.

Thank you so much for reading this! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My marriage certificate shows my maiden name, I just went to SS office to change it. I'm in IL too but never went to dept of vital records. My husband country doesn't routinely switch last names but when I came back to the US I did.  

When we filed our CR1 I just used my married name no problem. 

21 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

The marriage certificate gives you permission to use your husband's last name if you wish. No office will give you an issue for it.

Thank you so much for your response! I would like to use my husband name, but was not sure if this would be an issue with USCIS. 

1 minute ago, EandH0904 said:

My marriage certificate shows my maiden name, I just went to SS office to change it. I'm in IL too but never went to dept of vital records. My husband country doesn't routinely switch last names but when I came back to the US I did.  

When we filed our CR1 I just used my married name no problem. 

Thank you for sharing your experience! I went to vital record to get my marriage certificate, and do you think I have to change my SSN before submitting green card application? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just now, Candy12345 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! I went to vital record to get my marriage certificate, and do you think I have to change my SSN before submitting green card application? 

I didn't get married in the US and I'm the USC so I'll let someone else answer that question. Did you come here on k1 or?

6 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

I didn't get married in the US and I'm the USC so I'll let someone else answer that question. Did you come here on k1 or?

got it, I came to US as F-1 and now i am under h1b. So I already have my SSN, was not sure if I have to update this first before moving forward with my greencard application. 

Edited by Candy12345

1 hour ago, Candy12345 said:

got it, I came to US as F-1 and now i am under h1b. So I already have my SSN, was not sure if I have to update this first before moving forward with my greencard application. 

Changing your name just takes a trip to the SSN office. If you decide to send your GC application in the meantime you can use your married name :)

Just now, little immigrant said:

Changing your name just takes a trip to the SSN office. If you decide to send your GC application in the meantime you can use your married name :)

Thanks for your advice! I was reading some posts by searching "maiden name RFE" or something, and sometimes I see that people got the RFE because of their name. I know Chicago is pretty slow now when it comes to processing time, so just wanted to reduce the changes of getting RFE

*~*~*moved from "what visa do I need" to "AOS from work/study/tourist visas" as OP is adjusting status from a work visa and not applying for a visa*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.