debbiedoo

K1 vs CR1

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i saw this mentioned in a comment on another thread but didnt want to derail it

(paraphrased) K1 used to be a lot faster than CR1, but now the difference is only a few weeks and since the CR1 comes with instant work/travel rights, might be the better choice

Is this true, regarding processing time? Him being able to work sooner would be  HUGE benefit, if the processing times are similar.  A few weeks difference i wont squibble about, you know? Better than him going stir crazy for 6 months waiting for adjustment. We had decided on the K1 probably a year ago solely based on the faster processing time.

We have 95% of our paperwork together for the K1, we're not filing till next month, but, as I said, getting married now wouldnt be a big deal if theres little processing time difference...we're not doing a big wedding anyways so no plans to change or worry about lol

What are the cost difference and document/requirement differences? (i know i can look it up but its stupid o'clock early lol). While the Cr1 is in process would be be able to travel back and forth from the US as he does now (another big deal). We know once the K1 is submitted he COULD be denied, but he has solid work and family ties to Canada so assuming the agent on duty isnt overzealous, crossing, we are hoping, wont be too much of an issue. And if it is, I can cross (its just harder for me with child and dog care -we have 5 pups and an 11 year old (previous marriage of mine) )

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

i saw this mentioned in a comment on another thread but didnt want to derail it

(paraphrased) K1 used to be a lot faster than CR1, but now the difference is only a few weeks and since the CR1 comes with instant work/travel rights, might be the better choice

Is this true, regarding processing time? Him being able to work sooner would be  HUGE benefit, if the processing times are similar.  A few weeks difference i wont squibble about, you know? Better than him going stir crazy for 6 months waiting for adjustment. We had decided on the K1 probably a year ago solely based on the faster processing time.

We have 95% of our paperwork together for the K1, we're not filing till next month, but, as I said, getting married now wouldnt be a big deal if theres little processing time difference...we're not doing a big wedding anyways so no plans to change or worry about lol

What are the cost difference and document/requirement differences? (i know i can look it up but its stupid o'clock early lol). While the Cr1 is in process would be be able to travel back and forth from the US as he does now (another big deal). We know once the K1 is submitted he COULD be denied, but he has solid work and family ties to Canada so assuming the agent on duty isnt overzealous, crossing, we are hoping, wont be too much of an issue. And if it is, I can cross (its just harder for me with child and dog care -we have 5 pups and an 11 year old (previous marriage of mine) )

I would consider getting married...we ran into issues at the border traveling back and for with my fiancé even though he had ties to Canada. Basically they thought he would come to the states and not go back. We are on day 223 of waiting for our NOA2 and he has not been able to come into the states. Many other couples in similar situations haven’t had any problems at all, so I am just sharing my personal scenario. Ultimately it is whatever option works best for you...there is a lot of good information and advice on the site which can give you details. Good luck! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, KBA said:

I would consider getting married...we ran into issues at the border traveling back and for with my fiancé even though he had ties to Canada. Basically they thought he would come to the states and not go back. We are on day 223 of waiting for our NOA2 and he has not been able to come into the states. Many other couples in similar situations haven’t had any problems at all, so I am just sharing my personal scenario. Ultimately it is whatever option works best for you...there is a lot of good information and advice on the site which can give you details. Good luck! 

it just seems to be a ####### shoot (re: crossing) either way.

Whatever we do, clock is ticking on us deciding which path to take.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

it just seems to be a ####### shoot (re: crossing) either way.

Whatever we do, clock is ticking on us deciding which path to take.

Yes, it all depends on who you get at the border...but it seems like they have been tougher on Canadians these days

51 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Sounds like you are more interested in money versus a relationship.

I let my fiancé adjust for over a year before she started to look for work in the USA

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Timeline
Just now, Chris Duffy said:

Sounds like you are more interested in money versus a relationship.

I let my fiancé adjust for over a year before she started to look for work in the USA

if that were the case id be moving there. he makes MUCH more there than he will HERE ;)

I am interested in him not going batshit crazy and therefore driving ME batshit crazy for 6 months.

I was married for 20 years to a man who refused to work. This one has a little bit more drive and ambition. ;)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Even with processing times, I still say the K1 has it's place for some couples - it's wonderful for couples who don't have the money/time/flexibility to be able to get together & get married then wait out the CR1.   

For example my partner and I can't easily do CR-1 right now - he only gets 10 days leave per year including his sick leave, and in order for him to come to me he'd use up 4 of those days just travelling (thanks to flights that don't line up without 5+ hour layovers at 2 different airports - so this isn't ideal if he wastes half his leave and then what happens if he gets sick later?) and my job is great and pretty flexible, but they already gave me 15 weeks of paid leave in 2017 so they're understandably wanting me to... ya know, do my job ...for a while before I take more time off.   We put in K-1 and ~10-12 months from now we can be together.  If we wanted to CR-1, we'd have to wait until probably June or July until we can finally get together (that's the earliest I can even ask for time off again) in order to get married, then file CR-1; it'll be closer to 2 years apart.  No, thanks.  I'd rather go K-1 and take the 3-6 months of not working while I get settled into our home, spend time with his family, train the puppy he promised we could get, and plan out/plant my veggie patch rather than sleeping only 5 hours a night so I can spend time with him around work by staying here. 

That being said, for those who don't have restrictions on easily getting together to marry and would prefer to both be able to work right away, yeah, CR-1 is absolutely the best option because you've already got green card, ability to travel, work rights and overall cheaper.

Edited by dentsflogged

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As someone who recently went through the K1 process, I think that unless K1 processing times go back down again, getting married and filing the CR1 petition is a better option. I think current K1 processing times are at around 8-10 months and CR1 processing times are anywhere from 9-14 months. 

My husband arrived on his K1 visa in July 2017. We got married August 2017, then applied for his adjustment of status in September 2017. Last week, he finally received his work and travel authorization, after a stressful and boring 4 month wait. During those 4 months, he couldn't legally work or leave the country (or rather return to the country, he could leave if he wanted but would need a new visa in order to return).

As far as total costs go (minus costs of medical exams, copies of official documents, ect):

K1: $535 (petition, I-129F) + $265 (visa fee paid at interview) + $1225 (AOS filling fee I-485+biometrics, no filing fee for EAD and AP if filed concurrently with AOS) Total: $2025

CR1: $535 (petition, I-130) + $120 AOS (Affidavit of Support) + $325 (Immigrant Visa Fee) + $220 (New Immigrant Fee/green card production) Total: $1200

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline

thats a pretty significant price difference.

any idea on how hard a time the (canadian) applicants have had crossing the border during visa processing?

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.