egroeg

I-751/N-400 combo filers in Chicago

196 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Had my combo I-751/N-400 interview today. Was called almost immediately after checking in, on time (actually a few minutes before). I asked if my wife needed to be there (she is due any day now), and the officer asked her to join along. 

The I-751 interview happened first. Most of the time was spent going over my answers to the form, along with a couple questions about our travels and the circumstances of our meeting and some timelines. No questions about finances, and was not asked for any of the updated documents (tax returns, finances, bills, photos etc). My wife answered maybe a question or two.

Next was the N-400 portion - my wife stayed in the room for this. Civics test first (6 questions), reading and writing, and then went over the N-400 form again where i basically answered all the yes/no questions again. 

Concluded by saying that my I-751 would need to be adjudicated in the system first before i could be approved. So verbally said that i was approved for both, but my receipt paper says "A decision cannot be made at this time". Said that it would be a month or two before my oath ceremony could be scheduled. 

Very straightforward and was in and out in about 30 mins. 

As an aside, my 2 year GC as well as extension letters were returned back to me (i thought i read somewhere that they held on to these...)

Filed: Timeline
8 minutes ago, pastorom said:

Had my combo I-751/N-400 interview today. Was called almost immediately after checking in, on time (actually a few minutes before). I asked if my wife needed to be there (she is due any day now), and the officer asked her to join along. 

The I-751 interview happened first. Most of the time was spent going over my answers to the form, along with a couple questions about our travels and the circumstances of our meeting and some timelines. No questions about finances, and was not asked for any of the updated documents (tax returns, finances, bills, photos etc). My wife answered maybe a question or two.

Next was the N-400 portion - my wife stayed in the room for this. Civics test first (6 questions), reading and writing, and then went over the N-400 form again where i basically answered all the yes/no questions again. 

Concluded by saying that my I-751 would need to be adjudicated in the system first before i could be approved. So verbally said that i was approved for both, but my receipt paper says "A decision cannot be made at this time". Said that it would be a month or two before my oath ceremony could be scheduled. 

As an aside, my 2 year GC as well as extension letters were returned back to me (i thought i read somewhere that they held on to these...)

Congrats, hopefully you will be scheduled for the Oath Ceremony soon. Keep us updated if you have any news on your green card or the Oath. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Greencardchicago said:

Congrats, hopefully you will be scheduled for the Oath Ceremony soon. Keep us updated if you have any news on your green card or the Oath. 

That was quick - online update on the dhs.gov website. Note how estimated wait time is still 6 months though (Updated from 9)

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 8.11.53 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I just saw today that  my case status was updated on the online tool to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

Do you have any idea when I can expect to find out the oath ceremony date and when the actual ceremony will probably take place?

I am supposed to be travelling for work from March 8th through March 15th and I am trying to figure out if I should start rescheduling flights, hotels, meetings, etc. ?

Thanks!

Received my new resident card on the mail this week. I have a pending N400 application. Applied for N400 on Dec 2018 and I-751 on Jan 2018. 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 2, 2018 submitted application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 14 months or March 2020.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled , date not yet shown.

December 10, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for  28 December 2018.

December 13, 2018 did a walk-in to the scheduled service center, and they did the appointment on the spot. New completion time reads 13 months to February 2020.

May 10, 2019 - received notification that interview has been scheduled. Date for the interview is Jun 12th, 2019. Completion time reads 9 months to February 2020.

June 12, 2019 - Passed the Interview. Waiting for Oath Ceremony Date. Estimated Wait Time: 6 months per the online portal. 

June 17, 2019 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled to July 9th, 2019. Wait Time: 5 months per the online portal. 

July 9th, 2019 - Oath Ceremony Done, Naturalization complete. Total time was 220 days or 7 months and 8 days.

• 5 months later...
On 1/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, pastorom said:

Congrats! :)  Happy for you! 

I'm also same boat like you interview date confirmed - Can you please share which documents should take as required?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Niger
Timeline
On 1/16/2019 at 4:57 PM, pastorom said:

Congratulations .I'm in the same case as u,did you ever get updated on yr i751 case?did u received 10yrs green card befr go the oath?me and my wife got combo interview, now after 2weeks I got scheduled for oath ceremony  but i751 still pending...thanks

Timeline
1 hour ago, maestro said:

Congratulations .I'm in the same case as u,did you ever get updated on yr i751 case?did u received 10yrs green card befr go the oath?me and my wife got combo interview, now after 2weeks I got scheduled for oath ceremony  but i751 still pending...thanks

Never ended up getting the 10yr GC. And funnily enough, got a notification saying my I-751 was approved *after* the oath ceremony and after i had the naturalization certificate. USCIS's system ... isn't the best, haha. 

I wouldn't worry about it. The GC is academic at this point anyways. 

Timeline
On 8/6/2019 at 1:02 PM, Land of L said:

Congrats! :)  Happy for you! 

I'm also same boat like you interview date confirmed - Can you please share which documents should take as required?

Basically, a very slim list of documents. 

1) Our passports and photocopies

2) Marriage Certificate

3) Last 3 years of tax transcripts from the IRS website

4) Home warranty deed and last mortgage statement showing joint ownership and liability

5) Last statement for joint bank accounts

6) 401k/Life Insurance/Work Benefits docs showing each other as the beneficiary

Basically the way i figured i'd submitted most of this stuff for the I-751 and the online N-400 application, so really it was just an update of the bank/financials/taxes since the last application. Over the last few application i've come to the conclusion that the single biggest factor that USCIS looks at when it comes to making decisions is comingling of assets. You can have kids or travel with anyone, but sharing half your assets? Now that's true love. :-)))).

Of course, your mileage may vary. 

As mentioned in my initial post - the officer didn't bother with any of the documents. 

5 minutes ago, pastorom said:

Basically, a very slim list of documents. 

1) Our passports and photocopies

2) Marriage Certificate

3) Last 3 years of tax transcripts from the IRS website

4) Home warranty deed and last mortgage statement showing joint ownership and liability

5) Last statement for joint bank accounts

6) 401k/Life Insurance/Work Benefits docs showing each other as the beneficiary

Basically the way i figured i'd submitted most of this stuff for the I-751 and the online N-400 application, so really it was just an update of the bank/financials/taxes since the last application. Over the last few application i've come to the conclusion that the single biggest factor that USCIS looks at when it comes to making decisions is comingling of assets. You can have kids or travel with anyone, but sharing half your assets? Now that's true love. :-)))).

Of course, your mileage may vary. 

As mentioned in my initial post - the officer didn't bother with any of the documents. 

Thank you so much for the info! really helpful. Quick Question - when we first step inside interview room, Interviewer will any docs from us like  Interview letter, Green Card, 18 months extension letter or Driver License ID?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Land of L said:

Thank you so much for the info! really helpful. Quick Question - when we first step inside interview room, Interviewer will any docs from us like  Interview letter, Green Card, 18 months extension letter or Driver License ID?

At the Chicago field office you have to present your interview letter at a kiosk where they then give you a number. The interviewer then calls out that number. When we stepped into the room the interviewer did not take any of our docs right away. 

2 minutes ago, pastorom said:

At the Chicago field office you have to present your interview letter at a kiosk where they then give you a number. The interviewer then calls out that number. When we stepped into the room the interviewer did not take any of our docs right away. 

My situation is moved from CO to IL and planning to move to NJ again becasue of job so didn't change DL to IL...my spouse and me both got CO driver license, would it be fine ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, pastorom said:

Hi, Quick Question - When we have N400 Interview schduled and I-751still Pending, do we need to call and make sure if it's combo interview or not? or by default it will be Combo?

becuase some scenarios seen like they do N400 interview and delay for I-751 approval, and, some cases they send back with no interview that day and postpone after few months?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.