Bill Simmons

The day my US Passport was not enough proof of citizenship

31 posts in this topic

So I became a citizen automatically once my father Naturalized. I was only 2 years old at the time. My father immediately applied for my US passport in lieu of the Certificate of Citizenship.  Fast forward now I am 25 years of age living on my own. I applied recently for a government job that required you to be a citizen. Once hired they asked me to bring in proof of citizenship, I obviously brought in my valid US passport. HR said I needed to instead bring my naturalization certificate in. I told them I didn't have one and they looked at me dumbfounded. I referenced the child citizenship act but that only confused them more. If anything they became very suspicious of me and began questioning me as if I was a fraudster. I felt so little and quite frankly embarrassed. They forced me to file the N600 and only then I received a final offer. Save your kids the trouble and apply for the N600. 

They probably couldn't have forced you to file for the N-600. This USCIS page specifically says a valid U.S. passport is enough.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 hours ago, Bill Simmons said:

So I became a citizen automatically once my father Naturalized. I was only 2 years old at the time. My father immediately applied for my US passport in lieu of the Certificate of Citizenship.  Fast forward now I am 25 years of age living on my own. I applied recently for a government job that required you to be a citizen. Once hired they asked me to bring in proof of citizenship, I obviously brought in my valid US passport. HR said I needed to instead bring my naturalization certificate in. I told them I didn't have one and they looked at me dumbfounded. I referenced the child citizenship act but that only confused them more. If anything they became very suspicious of me and began questioning me as if I was a fraudster. I felt so little and quite frankly embarrassed. They forced me to file the N600 and only then I received a final offer. Save your kids the trouble and apply for the N600. 

Bogus.  Your passport is the BEST way to demonstrate your citizenship

YMMV

A passport in the US proves citizenship unlike in other countries (like Germany). However I worry sometimes because a passport expires and if I'm unable to renew it within 15 years then how am I going to proof my citizenship without a certificate? Something to think about.

Edited by little immigrant

26 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I agree. A biometric passport issued by the DOS is much more prima-facie evidence of US Citizenship than any paper certificate. I should have hired an attorney and filed a lawsuit. Well that's what happens when you're a second class citizen in this country. 

55 minutes ago, Bill Simmons said:

Yes but it also states that you 'may' be asked for a certificate of citizenship in instances of employment, social security etc.

To clarify, it says specifically that a U.S. citizen may present either as proof of citizenship. Not that a U.S. citizen must produce a certificate of citizenship when asked.

31 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

A passport in the US proves citizenship unlike in other countries (like Germany). However I worry sometimes because a passport expires and if I'm unable to renew it within 15 years then how am I going to proof my citizenship without a certificate? Something to think about.

maybe i'm wrong but isn't an old expired US Passport in good condition considered proof of citzenship when applying for a new passport?

15 minutes ago, jxn said:

To clarify, it says specifically that a U.S. citizen may present either as proof of citizenship. Not that a U.S. citizen must produce a certificate of citizenship when asked.

From my understanding that's just to prove that you are authorized to work in the United States. This is what the USICS says in regards to the certificate of citizeship for people that already have a passport

"

I already have a U.S. passport issued by the Department of State.  Am I required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship? 

No.  You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship.  The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form.  A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State.  However, you may be required to submit your Certificate of Citizenship when attempting to apply for certain other benefits, including, but not limited to:

• Social Security benefits
  • State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit
  • Financial Aid
  • Employment
  • Passport Renewal

That part at the end is what prospective employers use to force you to get the certificate. However these employers don't know (maybe because USCIS should have been clearer) they only mention that in case you were to lose your passport then you'd need a certificate to prove your citizenship and get another passport. however employers interpret It as for employment purposes  we can only accept the certificate. 

Edited by Bill Simmons

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

Not really bogus. I am naturalized citizen and often it is required to present the certificate of naturalization. For example: my recent visit to DMV/MVC to renew my driver's license.

11 minutes ago, deepfineleg said:

Not really bogus. I am naturalized citizen and often it is required to present the certificate of naturalization. For example: my recent visit to DMV/MVC to renew my driver's license.

Yes but had you shown your US passport instead of your naturalization certificate that would have been sufficient. 

4 hours ago, Bill Simmons said:

Yes but had you shown your US passport instead of your naturalization certificate that would have been sufficient. 

Yes, I did show the US Passport. DMV accepts passport only if you are born here. If you are naturalized citizen they need the certificate.

I also had to show my naturalization certificate when processing for a federal job. In later years for clearance renewal it was not required, just the first time. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.