21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, Sad&Abused said:

I have my passport and all my documents on me at all times. I have already began making checks for a shelter. I have considered going back to my home country many times but there is nowhere to go. I fell like giving up sometimes. I feel like I am between a rock and a really hard place. I am in New York

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/battered-spouse-children-parents

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/10/2018 at 9:54 PM, Sad&Abused said:

I am married to a U.S citizen and he is abusing me. I came to the U.S and I got sick and had a major operation and spent one year in a rehab facility. While I was in the rehab I met the most wonderful man. He was sweet, kind, loving, he was just overall amazing and we fell in love. He got released from the rehab about 2 months before I did and when I got out I decided I was gonna rent an apartment and just start fresh because I had lost one year of my life. I was trying to move on from him. Trying to convince myself that what we had was just because we had no other options. But I couldn't and it didn't help that he was calling and texting me non-stop so I decided ok let's just see where this leads. BAM! He asks me to marry him. I was over the moon because I love this man. I told him I wanna do this the right way. I don't want us to move in together until after the ceremony. He said he was so eager to make me his wife we had to get married right away. A few weeks later we were standing in line at the court house, giddy in love and eager to be man and wife. We did it. We got married over a year ago and I moved in. We were happy for the first couple months and then I got a job. He would argue that he couldn't work because of his hip and I was working and acting like I was better than him. I tried to play it down because as this point we're already married and I have no family here so I have nowhere else to go. And he had already filed the I-130. I noticed he started drinking and his sister told me he always drank - this was news to me. The first time he beat me I was shocked and humiliated. I'm a 50 year old woman and I've never before experienced this. I didn't know what to do. Then he would apologize and say he's sorry and do it again a couple days later. I got my work-permit a couple months after we filed and he said he was happy and then that night he beat me because he said I would get a good job and walk around like I was somebody and I was nobody. I went and did a nursing course a couple months after that and on the day of my exam he used his cane to beat me bloody and break one my fingers so I couldn't do the exam. I've called the police countless times. I contacted a lawyer who does VAWA cases for the state and she promised to get the paper work started but up till yesterday when I spoke to her she hadn't started yet because she says they have to meet with me a few more times. I'm writing this from a hospital bed with a brace on my neck and back because he tried to break my back tonight. He says he isn't going to stop until he kills me. What can I do? The VAWA application hasn't started processing and for all I know our interview is being scheduled right now. I can't do this anymore. What can I do? Please help me. He says he will tell them he doesn't know me if we go in to the interview together. I know realistically he can't say that but it just shows that he... At this point I don't even know. 

Contact SAFE HORIZON  in NYC and they  will help you  with  shelter and VAWA.

Thank you guys for all your advice. I am sorry I haven't been able to respond. I have been busy finding a place to stay. I have also been trying to get my VAWA application in. I have received an email stating that my interview has been scheduled. What do I do? I cannot go. He is in jail and I am in the process of filing for VAWA. Any advice?

1 minute ago, Sad&Abused said:

Thank you guys for all your advice. I am sorry I haven't been able to respond. I have been busy finding a place to stay. I have also been trying to get my VAWA application in. I have received an email stating that my interview has been scheduled. What do I do? I cannot go. He is in jail and I am in the process of filing for VAWA. Any advice?

Why can't you go? Get your VAWA started and let them know with your evidence of the direction you are taking. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.