amaada

Can she stay in US even if her husband wants her to go home

106 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, LKMK said:

Sometimes immigration lawyers and other attorney's will give you a free consult.  Its worth a try, if needed.

Thanks LKMK. 

Timeline

Many new immigrants believe it's so easy to sue the petitioner because he/she signed the affidavit of support. Yes, you can but look at the cases, how many won and what? mainly the Affidavit of Support it is between the Petitioner and US government in case if the new immigrant becomes the public charge, even then, the US government doesn't sue the Petitioner.

For to get a spouse support, the new immigrant needs to go to the court, get a good lawyer and see how good is the American judge to give to the new immigrant the alimony, usually the judge see how long did you live together, what were the petitioner properties BEFORE the marriage, if they have children together, etc. Many years of marriage and children could give you alimony, few months of marriage ... I doubt. Yet the new immigrant usually doesn't go for alimony as the lawyer usually cost lots of money and it is not worth it to spend 5-10K for to get for a short time of marriage 1K or even less

Timeline

I just told my friend about all your inputs and she decided to just go home. She said she can’t hire a lawyer for herself anyway.

But she’s wondering what happens to their status of marriage after she’s sent home.

I have no idea what happens either so any inputs from you guys is much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, amaada said:

I just told my friend about all your inputs and she decided to just go home. She said she can’t hire a lawyer for herself anyway.

But she’s wondering what happens to their status of marriage after she’s sent home.

I have no idea what happens either so any inputs from you guys is much appreciated.

She is married until they divorce. Leaving doesn't change that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She remains married if that is what you mean, no doubt much easier for her husband to process the divorce.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

They stay married until the guy files for divorce?

yeah. Good for the guy. He got away with all that pretty easily. He can just say she left him. 

Timeline

Or she does.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, amaada said:

They stay married until the guy files for divorce?

yeah. Good for the guy. He got away with all that pretty easily. He can just say she left him. 

This isn't great Philippines. Anyone can file for divorce for whatever reason. She can file.

Timeline

I think there’s no way she can file for divorce? He’s sending her home in a couple days, she has no money and I don’t think she can work up the courage to file for divorce alone. She doesn’t even want to divorce. So it’ll be all up to the guy.

Timeline

It is not a major issue with a short marriage, no children etc etc, hopefully he will want to get it done. Something they need to talk about.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, amaada said:

I think there’s no way she can file for divorce? He’s sending her home in a couple days, she has no money and I don’t think she can work up the courage to file for divorce alone. She doesn’t even want to divorce. So it’ll be all up to the guy.

if she wants her life clean, she needs the divorce too, she can offer the guy to sign both the quick divorce asking him to change the ticket for to travel a little later, she is still legal here and for her would be better to get her divorce decree with her. If it's both signing and no arguments, the divorce is very fast

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MeAlone said:

if she wants her life clean, she needs the divorce too, she can offer the guy to sign both the quick divorce asking him to change the ticket for to travel a little later, she is still legal here and for her would be better to get her divorce decree with her. If it's both signing and no arguments, the divorce is very fast

Thank you for your input. Will def pass it on to her.

20 hours ago, amaada said:

Thank you for your input. Will def pass it on to her.

One way or the other she will need a to obtain a certified copy of the divorce decree for her records if her husband divorces her.  Hopefully, their marriage was not registered with the Philippine Embassy or your are looking a disaster to get the recognition of foreign divorce in the Philippines.  If she does meet someone in the future and wants to get married in US she will also need a certified of the divorce decree.  Regardless, you need to push her to obtain certified copy of the divorce decree for her future.  For her sake I hope her CENOMAR still shows her as single.

So sorry for all that happened to your friend.  Please comfort her and tell her there is so much better out there and not to give up.

Adjustment of Status Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-485: December 20, 2016

USCIS delivered: December 23, 2016

USCIS received: December 27, 2016

I-765 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

I-131 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

I-485 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

Biometrics Date: February 10, 2017

I-765 Approved: March 30, 2017 (93 days)

I-131 Approved: March 30, 2017 (93 days)

I-485 Approved: June 6, 2017 (161 days)

Removal of Conditions Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-751: May 6, 2019

USCIS delivered: May 9, 2019

USCIS received: May 9, 2019

I-751 Notice Date: May 14, 2019

I-751 received Date: May 17, 2019

Biometrics received Date: June 8, 2019

Biometrics Date: June 20, 2019

Transfer to PSC Date: February 20, 2020

RFI received Date: October 20, 2020

RFI submitted to USCIS Date: January 14, 2021

ADIT Stamp received: March 3, 2021

ADIT Stamp received: March 24, 2021

I-751/N-400 Combo Interview Scheduled: April 7, 2022

I-751 Approved: April 7, 2022 (1064 days)

Citizenship Journey

Spoiler

N-400 Submitted Online: March 05, 2021

USCIS received: March 05, 2021

N-400 Notice Date: March 05, 2021

I-751/N-400 Combo Interview Scheduled: April 7, 2022

N-400 Approved: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Oath Ceremony: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Certificate of Naturalization Issued: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, LKMK said:

One way or the other she will need a to obtain a certified copy of the divorce decree for her records if her husband divorces her.  Hopefully, their marriage was not registered with the Philippine Embassy or your are looking a disaster to get the recognition of foreign divorce in the Philippines.  If she does meet someone in the future and wants to get married in US she will also need a certified of the divorce decree.  Regardless, you need to push her to obtain certified copy of the divorce decree for her future.  For her sake I hope her CENOMAR still shows her as single.

So sorry for all that happened to your friend.  Please comfort her and tell her there is so much better out there and not to give up.

If he files it is not hard to have the divorce recognized. She can get a copy of the decree anytime after it is final through the courts it's not a big deal. Will just take longer to get in the mail. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
4 minutes ago, LKMK said:

Appreciate that input so much. Will sure tell her to get a copy of the divorce paper.

Yes, she is a widow before this marriage. I’m so so sad for her. Thank you so much I will def do that. 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.