Kanadka

Renewing I-90 and my horrible memory

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, I remember coming on this site over ten years ago when I was applying for my green card and everyone was so helpful. Hard to believe how fast the time has gone by. Well, now it's time to renew my green card, seems simple enough, but I'm stumped on the two questions below because my memory sucks. 

Part 3.

1. Location where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status.

Is it okay to just put USA here? I assume they want to know here I mailed my adjustment of status? Honestly, I don't remember where I sent it. Nebraska sounds familiar but that might have been for my initial permanent resident card. 

2. Location where your immigrant visa was issued or USCIS office where you were granted adjustment of status.

Again, can I just put USA?  Is there where I went to do all my biometrics and interviews and what not? If so, I remember that. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Kanadka said:

1. Location where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status.

City and State (or City and Country) where YOU were living at the time you first applied.

46 minutes ago, Kanadka said:

2. Location where your immigrant visa was issued or USCIS office where you were granted adjustment of status.

City and State (or City and Country) where you received your approval from (where you had your interview).

On an aside, your profile states Naturalization (Approved)---there is no green card to renew, if this is the case...

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

Geez, I feel dumb. I completely misunderstood those questions. I thought it was asking where I sent my applications. 

Yeah, I'm not sure why my profile says Naturalization approved, I have yet to even apply for that. Maybe I was going to and it was wishful thinking on my part. (Trying to find where I can change that from Naturalization to  Permanent Resident?)

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!

Edited by Kanadka

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kanadka said:

Geez, I feel dumb. I completely misunderstood those questions. I thought it was asking where I sent my applications. 

You didn't misunderstand the questions, really....it *is* asking where you sent your applications, in a round-a-bout way, because all they really need is the City/State, not the actual physical address.  Based on the City/State you fill in, USCIS will know which physical office handled your original application.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline

Why not go for citizenship instead of renewing the green card?  Cost is comparative....up to you, of course, I waited almost 13 years before applying for naturalization (and I understand not everyone wants to be a citizen).

Timeline

I actually filled out my N-400 and had it ready to mail but then I got paranoid about it not being approved and my green card expiring so soon. I don't know why, I have no reason to. I double-checked and tripled-checked that everything was filled out properly. Anyway,  I  thought it would be easier to renew my green card, have my status in good standing and then apply for my citizenship in the next year or so. I know I'm actually paying double the fees if I do that, but I figured if I do run into issues while applying for citizenship at least I wouldn't have an expired green card. Probably not the smartest thing to do but I've lived in the states for almost 20 years and dealing with immigration has always stressed me out big time!!  :) 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Kanadka said:

I know I'm actually paying double the fees if I do that, but I figured if I do run into issues while applying for citizenship at least I wouldn't have an expired green card.

An expired card is just that----the card itself is expired---your legal status is not expired.  If you want to travel outside of the country while your N400 is pending, then all you would need to do is get a stamp in your passport as proof of your legal status (for use when re-entering the US).

Many people (including me) have their GC expire while their N400 is pending.  Again, up to you, but there's no need to pay the extra money to renew your GC beforehand if you are eligible (and wish) to apply for citizenship.  At the very least, after naturalization your dealings with USCIS will be over with for good----and you can travel for extended periods outside of the US without worry of "staying too long" or "not being let back in" afterwards.  Of course, you keep your Canadian citizenship as well, so that's also a good thing ;) 

I understand waiting though----at my oath ceremony, I met a guy who'd been a GC holder for almost 40 years....he said he was tired of spending the money lol

Edited by Going through

Timeline

I was thinking if my application for citizenship was denied and my green card had expired that my status here would no longer be valid (aka no longer a permanent resident). Hmmmm, maybe I need to pull out that N-400 again. Saving that extra money would be very nice.

Thank you! You have been very helpful!

**Side note, travelling abroad was something I was concerned about too (I have a European cruise scheduled for September) but I'm also looking for a new job. I wasn't sure if an expired green card would mess that up too.

Edited by Kanadka

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Kanadka said:

I was thinking if my application for citizenship was denied and my green card had expired that my status here would no longer be valid (aka no longer a permanent resident).

You are still a permanent resident with an expired GC, you just don't have any physical *proof* of that status to carry around with you.  Which is why USCIS encourages the person to carry a valid GC on them at all times.  A stamp in your passport (given through an infopass appointment) while your application is pending would serve as proof of your status.  If your N400 happened to be denied, then yes, you would be required to renew your green card afterwards, but you would not be out of legal status between then.

13 minutes ago, Kanadka said:

**Side note, travelling abroad was something I was concerned about too (I have a European cruise scheduled for September) but I'm also looking for a new job. I wasn't sure if an expired green card would mess that up too.

An expired green card would mess that up, yes.  Hence why I suggested the stamp if you planned to travel during any pending N400.

Timeline

Well, I think you've convinced me that my initial decision to apply for naturalization was the right one. Although becoming a citizen still makes me nervous - it's a big step. :) 

I'll be sure to get my passport stamped!

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Kanadka said:

Well, I think you've convinced me that my initial decision to apply for naturalization was the right one. Although becoming a citizen still makes me nervous - it's a big step. :) 

I'll be sure to get my passport stamped!

It is a huge step....and any part of the immigration process is stressful no matter how straightforward an application is.  Just make sure to get the stamp before your GC expires (or else they will tell you to renew the GC and pay the fee).

Best of luck whichever way you decide!

Edited by Going through

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
7 hours ago, Going through said:

It is a huge step....and any part of the immigration process is stressful no matter how straightforward an application is.  Just make sure to get the stamp before your GC expires (or else they will tell you to renew the GC and pay the fee).

Best of luck whichever way you decide!

this is true.......this is my want to punch my husband in the face moment (just kidding).  His greencard was expiring in November.....we filed for N400 in July...he insisted he didnt want to go get the travel stamp (his mother is alive and in frail health so I suggested he get it...kept insisting no).  He kept telling me that it would not take so long to get citizenship.  10x I told him.  Well guess what?  USCIS told us that since he was now out of status...he could no longer get a travel stamp...and that he must be in status to go for the interview...whether this was by the GC or the travel stamp.  So...we had to file for the new GC.....USCIS said we needed too just in case he failed the citizenship exam.  Now we have both the I-90 and the N-400 in the works.  When I told my husband that he messed up big time...his response..."well how am I supposed to know...its your country!"  grrr.  His interview for N-400 is set for January 22nd. 

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JT4/25 said:

this is true.......this is my want to punch my husband in the face moment (just kidding).  His greencard was expiring in November.....we filed for N400 in July...he insisted he didnt want to go get the travel stamp (his mother is alive and in frail health so I suggested he get it...kept insisting no).  He kept telling me that it would not take so long to get citizenship.  10x I told him.  Well guess what?  USCIS told us that since he was now out of status...he could no longer get a travel stamp...and that he must be in status to go for the interview...whether this was by the GC or the travel stamp.  So...we had to file for the new GC.....USCIS said we needed too just in case he failed the citizenship exam.  Now we have both the I-90 and the N-400 in the works.  When I told my husband that he messed up big time...his response..."well how am I supposed to know...its your country!"  grrr.  His interview for N-400 is set for January 22nd. 

Good luck with his interview!  

Comfort yourself with the knowledge that soon you will be able to say "it's your country!" back to him at the first opportunity :D 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.