Alanis

J1 and pregnant

8 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

Happy Holidays! 

I would like to inquire on what visa to process next if I plan to extend my stay in the US. 

My visa ends this April 2018, and I have 1 month grace period to stay in the US. However, I am 3 months pregnant. By the time my stay ends I will be 8 months then and almost my due date. My Doctor will not advise me to travel since it is not safe for my health and the baby’s. Me and the Dad of the baby are not planning on marriage yet and I am worried to get into labor without a visa in the US and will be illegal.

My friends told me to process a student visa since I dont have the 2 years requirement to stay back in my country and most of them are already working on it and got approved. But it is quite expensive and I honestly cant afford it with a baby on the way and paying for the tuiton. And another option they told me is to get a tourist visa, which I am also concerned if I will get approved because the USCIS might think I am using the visa just to have a US citizen baby. 

I am so anxious and stressed about this. I know its not good for the baby for me to overthink but I cant help it since the days passed by so quickly. 

I really appreciate all the advice that you can share. Thank you. 

Edited by Alanis

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

The main question you need to ask yourself is do you wanna stay or do you wanna leave? If you wanna leave just go while you’re still able to safely travel and there’s no issue. But it sounds like you wanna stay so if the student visa is your only option to stay then you need to go that route no matter what. Find a way to gather the money. Staying illegally seems hard enough as it is on your own let alone with a baby. 

Returning to the Phil before getting to far into the pregnancy might be an option. That way you needn't worry about USICS concerns about a US baby, and you'd probably avoid stressing. Having support of close Phil family would be a plus. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

9 hours ago, Alanis said:

My visa ends this April 2018, and I have 1 month grace period to stay in the US. However, I am 3 months pregnant. By the time my stay ends I will be 8 months then and almost my due date. My Doctor will not advise me to travel since it is not safe for my health and the baby’s.

If you visa expires, then you will be without medical insurance by the time you have the baby. That is a big no-no. Your bill could end up to the hundred of thousands or even a million (I'm not kidding). The safest option might be to leave early and deliver the baby in your home country. Also, you have to consider that you might not be able to fulfill your duties for the J1 while you are 8 months pregnant. 

What type of J1 do you have?

Me and the Dad of the baby are not planning on marriage yet and I am worried to get into labor without a visa in the US and will be illegal.

Is he going to support the baby? You need to have a serious talk. If you leave the country then the relationship might not continue. Is he serious? Cold feet? If you are having a baby and will marry eventually, the safest course of action for you is to marry as soon as possible, start AOS, and get health insurance. Otherwise, you have to make a decision as to what you will be doing, where, how will you afford stuff, etc.

You do not want to stay on "maybes". Airlines do not allow women who are 7+ months pregnant on flights. If you stay past your visa and you go home after having the baby, you won't be able to get another visa to the US. 

You also have to think whether you want the baby. 

My friends told me to process a student visa since I dont have the 2 years requirement to stay back in my country and most of them are already working on it and got approved. But it is quite expensive and I honestly cant afford it with a baby on the way and paying for the tuiton. And another option they told me is to get a tourist visa, which I am also concerned if I will get approved because the USCIS might think I am using the visa just to have a US citizen baby. 

Getting a student visa is not easy.

First, you need get admission to a program and have enough money to cover tuition and living costs. If you are already a student you can extend you J1.

Second, the 2 year requirement has nothing to do with an F1 student visa, you are allowed to do the F1 even if you have the 2 year requirement.

Third, USCIS takes over 6 months to make a decision and you do not have that time. The decision will come after you have the baby or by the time you are having the baby. If you do not have proof of tution, etc, it will be denied and you will have to pack your bags immediately. Doing a long flight with a new born is impossible. And if you get the denial right before giving birth it is impossible. 

You are in a difficult situation. I think you need to think what you want and also have a chat with the father of the baby. You should make the decision that makes you content because this is a very difficult decision that will affect the rest of your life. 

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the update and this is such great news. 

Congrats on everything!

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

• 4 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ali2014 said:

Congratulations to you. Would you like to tell which solution worked for you? I mean how did you figure this out? A colleague of mine is in a similar situation.

Thanks

this thread is over 4 years old and is considered a dead topic.  it has been locked to further replies.  please start a new thread should you have questions.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.