itsdonealready

Minneapolis-St. Paul MN Office AOS Filers

863 posts in this topic

Timeline

Before Covid interviews were taking about a year at the Minneapolis office (one of the slower ones). Not sure how Covid is impacting that - obviously the period where they suspended interviews didn't help but I also imagine I485 filings have fallen quite a bit.

Even pre-covid its seems like interview cancellations/reschedules were not all that rare.

Based on my experienced about changing SS card, I recommend people to change their SS after they got the green card. The employees at SS used to tell me that people should change their SS to delete the statement of “valid for work ...” when they got green card and when they become US citizen. Anytime when you do some paperwork and they need a copy of your SS (if they see it with the statement “valid for work only...”), they will ask many questions. Believe me, it will take you a lot of time to answer these questions

Edited by October20

9 hours ago, October20 said:

Based on my experienced about changing SS card, I recommend people to change their SS after they got the green card. The employees at SS used to tell me that people should change their SS to delete the statement of “valid for work ...” when they got green card and when they become US citizen. Anytime when you do some paperwork and they need a copy of your SS (if they see it with the statement “valid for work only...”), they will ask many questions. Believe me, it will take you a lot of time to answer these questions

But showing your green card as DHS  authorization doesn't help at all?

Package sent: 08/29/19

Package delivered: 09/03/19

I-765 received :09/03/19

I-131 received: 09/03/19

I-485 received: 09/10/19

Text notification: 09/11/19

Check cashed: 09/12/19

NOA1 date for all 3 forms: 09/10/19

Biometrics: 10/03/19

Ready for interview schedule: 10/30/19

Interview was scheduled: 09/15/2020

Interview date: 10/15/2020

GC received: 10/22/2020

5 hours ago, Q2018 said:

But showing your green card as DHS  authorization doesn't help at all?

Yes, the GC does help. I mean it is not a good idea to bring your GC everywhere with you and answering many question about SS.  If you change your SS and you can avoid these problems. Why don’t you change it, because the SS officer told me that people should change their SS after they got the GC. And not too much people know that they ought to do it

15 hours ago, October20 said:

Yes, the GC does help. I mean it is not a good idea to bring your GC everywhere with you and answering many question about SS.  If you change your SS and you can avoid these problems. Why don’t you change it, because the SS officer told me that people should change their SS after they got the GC. And not too much people know that they ought to do it

I see your point.

Right now I’m not going to replace my SS as SSA only accepts mail-in for that type of update on the card, meaning I have to mail in my SSN and GC and there’s no way to track when it’ll be done. I think I’ll wait.

Package sent: 08/29/19

Package delivered: 09/03/19

I-765 received :09/03/19

I-131 received: 09/03/19

I-485 received: 09/10/19

Text notification: 09/11/19

Check cashed: 09/12/19

NOA1 date for all 3 forms: 09/10/19

Biometrics: 10/03/19

Ready for interview schedule: 10/30/19

Interview was scheduled: 09/15/2020

Interview date: 10/15/2020

GC received: 10/22/2020

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Timeline

We filed for wife's AOS, 130, etc. Abbreviated timeline below.

What are your thoughts on getting the SS in time for taxes? I'm wondering if it will come in time or if we will need to go the ITIN route for 2020 taxes.

Mailed - 10/27/2020

Accepted - 11/2/2020

Checks cashed - 11/6/2020

Notice - 11/26/2020

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Nibake said:

What are your thoughts on getting the SS in time for taxes? I'm wondering if it will come in time or if we will need to go the ITIN route for 2020 taxes.

Mailed - 10/27/2020

Accepted - 11/2/2020

Notice - 11/26/2020

Not for April 15 but by October 15

YMMV

Timeline
22 hours ago, Nibake said:

Mailed - 10/27/2020

Accepted - 11/2/2020

Notice - 11/26/2020

File an extension. You'll have until Oct 15 to send the returns (though you still need to pay by April 15 if you owe). You should have the SSN/EAD by then.

• 3 weeks later...

Had our interview today. My husband filed for AOS in December 2019 after we got married on the K1 visa in November. We got our interview notice about 2 weeks in advance. Since it's been so long since filing I made an updated affidavit of support and also got a co sponsor since my new job just started and I was unemployed for awhile. However, he didn't ask anything about that and I offered up the information that I got a new job and he took the employment letter from that. 

Otherwise, he went over the information with my husband. He asked my full name, my birthday, the day we got married. Then asked him for his name and birthday. Asked about his name changes (mom's maiden name at birth, then adopted name, then married name since he took my last name). He asked us both how we met and I described his travel history to the US since my husband is bad at remembering dates . He asked where my husband worked. 

Then he asked for evidence of us living together. I did not have a lot of evidence as a lot of things are around the bend for us (like joint health insurance, more adult type stuff that will come once I get benefits with my new job). I had a joint bank account statement, a letter from a friend that has met us several times (notarized), photos of us together, and a generic lease agreement since we live with family. He asked about the relatives in the wedding pictures.

After that we had some random talk and he told us our case would be decided soon but explained about green cards and when they come in the mail and removing conditions in the future.

About 10 minutes after we left, the site updated and we learned we were approved. The person we dealt with was super nice and my husband, who's really shy, felt comfortable. 

I hope this helps someone who's worrying about an upcoming interview!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all!

Wife got her Green Card in the mail today!!

Approximate timeline, don't have the exact dates handy...

Filed I129F - January 2019

NOA - April 2019

Interview at Embassy - September 2019

Arrival to US - October 2019

Wedding - December 2019

Filed AOS Paperwork - January 2020

Biometrics - February 2020

Combo Card Approval - April 2020

Interview ready to be scheduled - April 2020

Combo Card Received - June 2020

Interview Scheduled - Early Feb 2021

Interview and Approval - March 8 2021

Card Received - March 11 2021

Been an emotional journey. Did everything ourselves, without a single RFE! MANY thanks to this amazing forum.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Our case status changed to "Interview scheudled"yesterday.

How far out does Minneapolis office usually schedule the interview for?

We have 3 week?  2 weeks? 11 weeks?

Need to reprint alot of documents as many went missing/lost moving to our new home.

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:53 PM, Russel1995 said:

Our case status changed to "Interview scheudled"yesterday.

How far out does Minneapolis office usually schedule the interview for?

We have 3 week?  2 weeks? 11 weeks?

Need to reprint alot of documents as many went missing/lost moving to our new home.

Ours was 30 days out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.