Moxa1989

N-400 Newark/Mt Laurel New Jersey

1,199 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline
On 10/19/2022 at 2:01 PM, NihalV said:

can you explain what is "Name Change Court Document".  I have received one document during oath ceremony saying my old name and new name. are you referring to same one or I have to get it from court?

Yes...it's the same one with a raised seal on it :)

I-130 (for parents of US Citizens):

8/19/2022: NOA (IOE0917XXXXXX); Texas Service Center

7/22/2023: Both (parents) petitions approved

7/27/2023: Both cases sent to NVC

8/8/2023: Received NVC welcome email for both parents

Timeline
On 10/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, Immi_Matter said:

Finally a citizen. :) 

My interview happened this week at the Newark office. My appointment was at 8:30. I reached at 7:30. There was a small line to get inside the building. 

Security is airport style. I got inside the the building at 7:45 and took the elevator to 15th floor. At the check in desk, security verified my id and N400 appointment letter. 

Once inside, I submitted my appointment letter to the check in desk. Check in officer asked me to sit and wait for my name to be called out. There were 50 to 60 people in the room. I was called to meet with the officer at 9:15. 

The officer first began with civics questions first. 

1)  When was the constitution written?

2) What are 2 Cabinet level positions?

3) Why did colonists fight the British?

4) What did Susan Anthony do?

5) Name one American Indian tribe.

6) Who makes federal laws?

I got first 6 questions right. We then moved to reading and writing sections of the test, which I cleared as well. 

The officer then began reviewing my application in detail. The officer asked me to verify current address, date of birth, date of marriage and contact details. I was then asked for my 10 year Green card (didn't get it back),  marriage certificate and spouse's certificate of naturalization.Then I was asked Yes/No questions (part 12).

I was then asked to verify my details (name, date of birth, address) & sign on a tablet. I was told that my application was recommended for approval. I was handed an interview cleared letter and told to sit outside until my name was called for oath ceremony.  The interview lasted 15 minutes. 

Oath ceremony happened more an hour later at 10:45. About 30 people took the oath with me  All of us were handed the naturalization certificate along with another packet containing key rights as a US citizen, voting information and passport application details. 

My experience was great at Newark. USCIS team at Newark is very friendly and ready to address any questions. 

Timeline: 

N400 submitted online - April 25th. (I-751 approved in January)

N400 Receipt - April 25th

Biometrics Waiver notice - April 25th

Interview scheduled - October 20th

Case Approved - October 20th (Same day oath)

Overall, it took me about 6 months from application to approval. 

Congratulations!

• 4 months later...

Hi all, 

I have an interview coming up in Newark. Can your spouse enter the building with you? I am sure not the actual interview, but just the waiting room?

Thank you!

I-129F Received: 07-19-2017

NOA1: 07-21-2017

NOA2: 01-23-2018

NVC Received: 01-29-2018 

Case # Assigned: 01-31-2018

NVC Sent Case: 02-03-2018

DS-160 Submitted: 02-05-2018

Consulate Received: 02-05-2018

VAC: 02-09-2018

Interview: 03-12-2018

Outcome: APPROVED!

POE: 03-17-2018

Married: 04-27-2018

USCIS Received I-485, I-765, I-131: 05-24-2018

Biometrics Fee Accepted: 06-08-18

NOA1 Recieved : 06-16-18

Biometrics Appt: 07-02-18

EAD being Produced: 09-28-18

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/7/2023 at 2:07 PM, N & A said:

Hi all, 

I have an interview coming up in Newark. Can your spouse enter the building with you? I am sure not the actual interview, but just the waiting room?

Thank you!

Hello, yes, your spouse can enter the building.  For the waiting room, on the day we had our interview, it was a matter of giving the security guard a rationale for why spouse should be in the waiting room.  Our explanation was that there was a good possibility that the interview was a combo (N400/ROC) interview, and spouse would be interviewed as well for the ROC portion.  The guard did let both of us in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just got a notification that my interview has been scheduled at Newark - I don't have the letter with the date yet, but from what I can tell it's usually ~4 weeks out. Will update when I know!

Does anyone know if Newark lets you do your interview and then book your Oath ceremony for a different day? I have international travel booked for 1-2 weeks after I'm anticipating that the interview gets scheduled. If it's possible to keep my interview date - then keep my Green Card for travel and take the oath when I return - that would be the best outcome for me!

Timeline
5 hours ago, *FishF00D* said:

Just got a notification that my interview has been scheduled at Newark - I don't have the letter with the date yet, but from what I can tell it's usually ~4 weeks out. Will update when I know!

Does anyone know if Newark lets you do your interview and then book your Oath ceremony for a different day? I have international travel booked for 1-2 weeks after I'm anticipating that the interview gets scheduled. If it's possible to keep my interview date - then keep my Green Card for travel and take the oath when I return - that would be the best outcome for me!

Newark is one of the USCIS locations that does same day Oath ceremonies....when we had our interview, there were several oath ceremonies throughout the day.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Duncan21 said:

Newark is one of the USCIS locations that does same day Oath ceremonies....when we had our interview, there were several oath ceremonies throughout the day.

It's true that Newark is one of the USCIS locations that does same-day oaths by default -- my question is whether they will allow people to choose a later oath instead of doing it the same day when there are circumstances like mine (imminent travel).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, *FishF00D* said:

It's true that Newark is one of the USCIS locations that does same-day oaths by default -- my question is whether they will allow people to choose a later oath instead of doing it the same day when there are circumstances like mine (imminent travel).

Can't you just tell the interviewing officer you want to take the oath at a later date?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, Crazy Cat said:

Can't you just tell the interviewing officer you want to take the oath at a later date?

That would be my plan as long as they allow it! If they don't allow that option for whatever reason, then I would need to either change my travel plans or rebook my interview in advance.

Timeline
On 6/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, *FishF00D* said:

Update:

Sorry all, I live really close to Newark but for some reason my interview has been scheduled at 8 Cedar Brook Drive, Cranbury NJ (also comes up on Google Maps as East Windsor). I guess I'll be hopping off of this thread, unless - has anyone else here been scheduled at this location? 🤔

Just completed interview at Newark (14th june). 
My interview time was scheduled at 9:30 but there was a long line. Actual interview took place at 1:15.
I counted 3 oaths - one in the morning, one around 1:30 (right after my interview) and 3:30. 
I had to wait until 3:30 - they weren't able to print out my certificate quick enough after the interview to get 1:30.

Overall glad I could complete everything same day even though the wait time took around 6hrs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.