Ludovic UK

Employment authorization

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
14 hours ago, Meanis said:

But still, i would rather have k1 and be a few months bored with my love, than separated while cr1 processing for truly year. :D  

Current processing times for K-1 are so long it’s worth considering CR-1. Waiting only 3 months is definitely worth to have a GC and possibility to work right after entering US supporting your souse and much less problems with AOS, work and travel permit.. also

cheaper fees for feeling. For NOA2 you wait around 6-7 months now.. NVC receive is taking 6 weeks or more atm, then medicals and interview it’s at least a month. Im almost there but I have this bitter aftertaste that CR-1 was a better option.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
15 hours ago, Meanis said:

Here is what i was relating to- A friend took her K1 journey and was approved- once she got to the united states it took her almost an year to have a work permit... 

Between 1-3 months she had to get married, 

after that she could ask for work permit which took loooong time. 

So thats why i think it takes minimum 6months from the time a person arrive to the US. 

But still, i would rather have k1 and be a few months bored with my love, than separated while cr1 processing for truly year. :D  

Not all CR1 take a year.  Our CR1 was competed in 7 1/2 months which also included 2 months for sputum culture results.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Slovakia
Timeline
1 minute ago, gregcrs2 said:

Not all CR1 take a year.  Our CR1 was competed in 7 1/2 months which also included 2 months for sputum culture results.

And when?:) 

maybe i am wrong, but this year its at USCIS at least for 6months.... so not sure how with nvc, health exam and interview it could be 7months . But i am happy for you! I definitely dont want to take down anyones hopes.... 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Slovakia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Marcelina said:

Current processing times for K-1 are so long it’s worth considering CR-1. Waiting only 3 months is definitely worth to have a GC and possibility to work right after entering US supporting your souse and much less problems with AOS, work and travel permit.. also

cheaper fees for feeling. For NOA2 you wait around 6-7 months now.. NVC receive is taking 6 weeks or more atm, then medicals and interview it’s at least a month. Im almost there but I have this bitter aftertaste that CR-1 was a better option.

Is the Noa2 time same for everyone ? (Cr1 x k1?) 

well its true k1 is more expensive at the end, but it brings you earlier to be with your spouste. It depends what you prefer. But dont feel bad about your choice:) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Meanis said:

And when?:) 

maybe i am wrong, but this year its at USCIS at least for 6months.... so not sure how with nvc, health exam and interview it could be 7months . But i am happy for you! I definitely dont want to take down anyones hopes.... 

Try reading my timeline below for exact dates.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, Ludovic UK said:

That's good to know, four months isn't too bad, I just feel bad that my wife will have to work while I can't. But I guess that's the lesser problem compared to being apart. Cheers for the info, mate! 

It seems to be completely random and the timeline can vary greatly.  Myself and 2 of my coworkers all have spouses going through AOS currently (at the same field office).  One filed in June, one in July, and we filed in August.  So far the ones who filed in June and July have not heard anything on EAD/AP/or AOS.  My husband has his green card interview tomorrow which is 4 months minus one day from the time we filed.  So we seem to be lucky in how quickly our AOS was processed. 

Definitely try and get a plan together on keeping yourself entertained.  That has been one of our biggest struggles since my husband got here.  He is bored out of his mind and I am working full time and the combination can be deadly sometimes.  :wacko:  When I get home I am exhausted and he is ready to get up and go.  lol.  I will tell you one secret from the working wife perspective... Coming home to a clean house after a stressful day at work is the most amazing thing ever. ;)  haha.  Good luck to you and your lady on the rest of your journey!

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

It varies per case how long it takes. You will need a (certified) copy of your marriage license to file AOS so depending on your county, even that can take several weeks to obtain, before you can file and start counting.

I applied for AOS/EAD/AP on Oct 10/17/2016 and received my EAD/AP approval on 02/23/2017. USCIS eliminated the 90-day rule for EAD/AP processing per January 2017 so it's more of a goal now. Some people are still lucky though!

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

just a tip, fyi, for credit cards I was told having a previous AMEX card (airline) through my home country made it easier for me to obtain an AMEX card here in the States. So if you have any credit cards in your home country, maybe especially AMEX?, don't close them for now! If you don't have one yet and you still have a few months left in the UK, it may make sense to apply for one now (like an airline one, often they waive fees for the first year), buy some stuff with it and PAY IT OFF entirely within the month (to avoid paying interest and establish good account history).

Like a PP, my first US credit card had like a $1,000 limit, but as soon as I had one and used it, and paid it off within the month, I started being able to get others with a higher limit - or they automatically raised my spending limit.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/immigrant-build-US-UK-credit-history-country-1508.php 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband and I just completed the EAD/AP process:

From AOS first notification to card arriving at our house it was about 96 days (we were one of the first people in our monthly AOS forum).

From the time of entry to US to EAD arriving to the house took about 5 months for us and we were on the short time period of waiting for approval. Most others are waiting well over 100 days.

Just to give you an idea of the time line because I felt as through we were pretty streamline in our approach.

My husband arrived in June  2017 and about 2.5 weeks later we got married (we had planned a wedding prior to his arrival). In the state we applied for our marriage license we had to apply at least 3 days before the ceremony, in person, together.

After the ceremony we waited 7-10 days to get a phone call saying our marriage certificate was ready to be picked up (we had asked the people involved to try and let us know ASAP because of immigration). You need this for the AOS packet and I have heard some people say it took a month to get their marriage certificate after their wedding.

We applied for AOS about a month after my husband arrived to the states. We under estimated how much time it would take, as I think many do. We luckily are stable financially and my husband lived in Maryland for 4 years previously but it takes a long time these days.

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
22 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

I think Meanis may have been referring to the overall timeframe for AOS, which is currently close to 6-12+ months. 

Luckily EAD processing times are generally in the 90-120 day time frame. We're at day 92 waiting for my husband's EAD and he's starting to go a little crazy from boredom. :P

The 90 day mark is when my husband started getting a little stir crazy too!! Hang it there, he luckily got his approval at day 96 and a job offer the same day. Things turned around really quick and now he loves his job and is going on his first business trip next week! Good luck hope your approval comes soon!!

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.