MRSW1709

Health Insurance before moving to US

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I am a US Citizen and my German husband and I are planning on moving back June 2018. We've already been approved through phase 1 and need to start phase 2 soon. 

HOWEVER, my biggest concern with moving back to the US is bridging the time to make sure I am always medically insured. I have a chronic condition that requires extensive 24/7/365 medication. 

Does anyone have any resources, etc, that may help me make sure I am immediately insured in the US?

I'm sure this topic isn't new for those moving back to the US...*sarcastic undertone included.

Thank you in advance, 

Mrs.W

Unfortunately you are in a situation where by the time you arrive in the US open enrollment for things like the federal exchange would be closed (and due to political factors we never quite know what state Ocare will be in from year to year). But your next best option would be to purchase coverage from any insurance provider in the state which you'll reside. You will have to investigate and coordinate coverage that works for you, to ensure that it kicks in as soon as possible. Your spouse will also be eligible for coverage. There will be considerable expense involved. 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

It will take time like previous poster mentioned to get federal or insurance through employer and you can only get those after you get back. There are private insurance companies where you can get coverage but that’s gonna cost you a lot but I guess it’s better than being uninsured. You can also get traveling insurance through private companies but I’m pretty sure traveling insurance doesn’t cover medication. Only doctor visits and emergencies. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Can you come with a 90 day supply of whatever medicine you need?

Important as in order to obtain any insurance in any state, you must be living there when you apply

48 minutes ago, MRSW1709 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am a US Citizen and my German husband and I are planning on moving back June 2018. We've already been approved through phase 1 and need to start phase 2 soon. 

HOWEVER, my biggest concern with moving back to the US is bridging the time to make sure I am always medically insured. I have a chronic condition that requires extensive 24/7/365 medication. 

Does anyone have any resources, etc, that may help me make sure I am immediately insured in the US?

I'm sure this topic isn't new for those moving back to the US...*sarcastic undertone included.

Thank you in advance, 

Mrs.W

There are many changes said to take effect in U.S. healthcare.  I know Medicare is state funded, but your eligibility for that depends on your income.  If you have disabling health condition, then you will qualify for SSI Benefits, which includes Medicare.  I think open enrollment for Obamacare ends December 15, 2017.  https://www.healthcare.gov/
You do need to be in the U.S. to receive benefits.  In the meantime, most states have government funded clinics that you can access without insurance for low costs ($20-$50).  They called it

SLIDING FEE DISCOUNT PROGRAM.  The program is for people mostly US CITIZEN or even green card holder with limited income and /or who do not have health insurance or affordable insurance.  The program includes assistance on eligible patients with discounts on their prescriptions and other medical services. 

So, whichever is applicable with your situation, and incomes all you need to do is to provide PAPER works like proof of income and others.   The good thing, US government we believe are doing their best to provide a good living situations for all their citizens and even immigrants (legal).  Hope this helps. 

You may find this useful:  The MUST have 6P's in processing immigration papers. These are Patience, Perseverance, Prayers, Paper Works, People & Pera ( money to paying immigration fees). 

Edited by Haltom Family
Additional details

Our Family 

Joshua, a music lover, and Tennessee born guy met Lady Lyn, a Filipina in an online Yahoo Christian Chat while both of them were praising God in a different way.  The latter was bullied by some chatters, and courageous Joshua rescued her like a damsel in distress, that was where a new chapter of life begun with the two of them. Their marriage is blessed in many forms including of rewarding them with a beautiful and joyful baby girl named Abigail Exodus Haltom which named perfectly represents their love and life story as a family.

VisaJourney is always a part of where we are as a family, so THANK YOU!!!  

"To give back, you can message us here for your Fiancee, IR1/CR1 visa or DCF related inquiry or visit us in the following social medias."  

Instagram

Twitter

FB Page

www.haltomfamily.wordpress.com

Our DCF Journey 

Our K1 to I-130 Application Journey

DCF I-130 US Embassy Manila Application to Approval

Our assurance is God’s words.

But as for you, be strong and courageous, for your work will be rewarded.” -2 Chronicles 15:7

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.