deepfineleg

Citizenship by Fraud / False Marriage

46 posts in this topic

This is my first post. So please move it to the right forum, if needed.

Person A dating my cousin with an intent to marry next summer (2018), relayed the details about how he previously entered into a false marriage to secure green-card. Eventually Person A applied for citizenship and subsequently divorced his wife. My cousin is content with the fact that the Person A did not keep this secret as they are looking forward to get married. However, my cousin is concerned:

(a) Is she legally or morally obligated to provide this information to USCIS? 

(b) Can Person A's case be scrutinized in the future for any other reason leading to deportation?

Edited by deepfineleg

17 minutes ago, deepfineleg said:

This is my first post. So please move it to the right forum, if needed.

Person A dating my cousin with an intent to marry next summer (2018), relayed the details about how he previously entered into a false marriage to secure green-card. Eventually Person A applied for citizenship and subsequently divorced his wife. My cousin is content with the fact that the Person A did not keep this secret as they are looking forward to get married. However, my cousin is concerned:

(a) Is she legally or morally obligated to provide this information to USCIS? 

(b) Can Person A's case be scrutinized in the future for any other reason leading to deportation?

I'm not sure but I look forward to seeing more responses. If USCIS is notified and pursues it, they could strip the person of citizenship and deport them with a lifetime ban. 

28 minutes ago, mcdull said:

1: I will let Dalai Lama answer the question

2: Everything is possible.

Thanks for reply. 

1. Dalai Lama can answer regarding morality.  I should have phrased my question better. What about legally? 

2. Any more specifics? I mean, she is approaching her marriage shortly and would be wreck if the issues from past immigration came up.

51 minutes ago, deepfineleg said:

(b) What does "for any other reason" mean?  If there is concrete evidence of fraud provided to USCIS, then everything is possible.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When it comes to immigration when something is obtain by fraud it can always be taken away. Even after citizenship. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

3 minutes ago, andy78 said:

(b) What does "for any other reason" mean?  If there is concrete evidence of fraud provided to USCIS, then everything is possible.

I don't know hence, I asked. For whatever reason....the citizenship would be under scrutiny.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

When it comes to immigration when something is obtain by fraud it can always be taken away. Even after citizenship. 

That is what I understand. 

However, if my cousin were to report to USCIS as obligation.....she doesn't have any evidence besides the information as relayed by her fiance. How should she go about? To report or not?

Timeline

She can clear her conscious and report what she knows, but unless there is proof they won't act. Now this does not mean if she reports it and they don't do anything he's in the clear. Far from that they can sit on something for a long time and gather all the proof they need till they come knocking. 

She needs to figure out if she wants to do. Since she knows what he did, can she live with herself if they have kids and he gets deported? Will she be willing to move to his country? If caught he will most likely never step foot back in the US.

Now heck we don't know if they will ever come knocking but she should think clearly about what she wants. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

42 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

She can clear her conscious and report what she knows, but unless there is proof they won't act. Now this does not mean if she reports it and they don't do anything he's in the clear. Far from that they can sit on something for a long time and gather all the proof they need till they come knocking. 

She needs to figure out if she wants to do. Since she knows what he did, can she live with herself if they have kids and he gets deported? Will she be willing to move to his country? If caught he will most likely never step foot back in the US.

Now heck we don't know if they will ever come knocking but she should think clearly about what she wants. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, GreatDane said:

I'm not sure but I look forward to seeing more responses. If USCIS is notified and pursues it, they could strip the person of citizenship and deport them with a lifetime ban. 

Thanks.

Do you know a whistle-blower or anonymous line that one can call? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

i doubt if he got deported for fraud marriage to get here,  he would want her to come to his country

he more than likely would start looking for a new woman in another country to migrate there

people don't usually change their behavior 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

i doubt if he got deported for fraud marriage to get here,  he would want her to come to his country

he more than likely would start looking for a new woman in another country to migrate there

Good point

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

6 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

Thanks for reply but your response isn't related to the questions asked. Please read my original post.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, deepfineleg said:

Thanks for reply but your response isn't related to the questions asked. Please read my original post.

ok, to answer your quesiton, she is legally obligated 

You are not an accomplice or co-conspirator unless you knew about the fraud for a while and did nothing to stop it or if you participated in the fraud 

anytime you know of a person committing a crime even if you don't have proof, you are legally obligated to report it / ICE is respondsible for investaging / if ICE does nothing,  she is clear and can not be held responsible for not reporting it 

I called a family member and asked as the person is FBI (not ICE but the Federal laws are the same for any fraud crime)

i didn't think you needed me to go on about this as many others had already answered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.