mighty836

December 2017 AOS

1,254 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Gslice said:

Same timeline and situation here.  Patiently waiting and expecting to start EAD renewal paperwork by halloween. 

I crossed in November submitting my medical at the border.  Since November is near, does my medical expire 1yr from submission?  Or does it matter since I've already submitted for AOS?  I heard some people were getting warnings their medical had expired.

I did too. You have to apply for aos within 1 yr so that the medical doesnt expire. And since you did youre good.  Its a question that comes up everyday :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 9/19/2018 at 5:51 PM, Marzena & Stephen said:

Same i read you have to renew work permits 180 days prior to expiry so thats 6 months. Mine expires April 2019 so im thinking by october i should be applying to renew ...seems like such a waste but how much would it suck if we dont get a gc by than and didnt renew! 

we apply for renewal 180 days before EAD expiring next year :S Our case is ready for interview since January 2018 (it changed to march on the USCIS system) Houston Office

Timeline
19 hours ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

I did too. You have to apply for aos within 1 yr so that the medical doesnt expire. And since you did youre good.  Its a question that comes up everyday :) 

somewhenre in the USCIS this is the USCIS link about medical exam https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter3.html

a fellow posted in VJ this information in other forum... so according to this a new medical is not needed for AoS from K or V visas

image.thumb.png.a603c6ad2d8eec66cddc34bab914a14a.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

@CE and JR, thanks for sharing the info. Just adding info for future readers about the V visa, https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant--visa-for-spouse-and-children-of-a-lawful-permanent-resident.html:

U.S. Embassies and Consulates have not issued any V visas for the past several years because applicants with priority dates on or before December 21, 2000, were able to apply for immigrant visas as their priority dates became current.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I talked to an immigration attorney who said it is not needed, but that it all depends on the officer in front of you. Even though it's technically not needed, they can still request a new one.

So if you get stuck with someone who does not know this exception, you could be getting a delay. 

So if a delay of a week or two-three is a situation you cannot bear, you might want to redo it, with the sidenote that it might not be needed after all.

I had an appointment for a new medical until the receptionist told me it would cost me 750 dollars. I opted not to do it after all, and I will be going to my interview coming Tuesday without a new medical and only a copy of my previous medical (the one they got when I entered as a K1).

I will update on Tuesday as well.

Timeline
18 hours ago, moosy said:

I talked to an immigration attorney who said it is not needed, but that it all depends on the officer in front of you. Even though it's technically not needed, they can still request a new one.

So if you get stuck with someone who does not know this exception, you could be getting a delay. 

So if a delay of a week or two-three is a situation you cannot bear, you might want to redo it, with the sidenote that it might not be needed after all.

I had an appointment for a new medical until the receptionist told me it would cost me 750 dollars. I opted not to do it after all, and I will be going to my interview coming Tuesday without a new medical and only a copy of my previous medical (the one they got when I entered as a K1).

I will update on Tuesday as well.

good luck! let us know how it went and what did they say about the medical exam requirements.

yes it is typically above 500$

Anyone that got Combocard in May planning to renew it within the next month? I read somewhere that the EAD can still be used for awhile after the expiration date. Is it true?

Ultimately, I got a new passport (I applied  for AOS last year and my old passport would expire next December), I guess I will have to send them a new copy. So tired of this process. Takes forever. 

Timeline
21 hours ago, debkennedy said:

Anyone that got Combocard in May planning to renew it within the next month? I read somewhere that the EAD can still be used for awhile after the expiration date. Is it true?

Ultimately, I got a new passport (I applied  for AOS last year and my old passport would expire next December), I guess I will have to send them a new copy. So tired of this process. Takes forever. 

My EAD card expires end of April. Sent the application within the 180 days they recommend. in this USCIS link explain about the extension, but you need the letter when they receive your application in order to extend it. Also, if necessary the employer need to make an amendment to the I-9 form 

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/automatic-employment-authorization-document-ead-extension

Timeline
On 10/18/2018 at 11:46 AM, CE and JR said:

good luck! let us know how it went and what did they say about the medical exam requirements.

yes it is typically above 500$

I just added my interview review in the September 2017 filers (I hope it was the 2017 and not 2018 filers!!). 

He asked for an updated medical as the first question, and I replied I didn't have one as mine was still valid. That was fine. He didn't comment or make a weird face. He seemed to know that.

He did calculate the date to make sure I filed within the year (and he calculated to make sure we married within 90 days as well).

It was fine.

We got approved on the spot.

I hope that helps others who are also not willing to spend much money on a medical that might not be necessary.

Timeline
49 minutes ago, moosy said:

I just added my interview review in the September 2017 filers (I hope it was the 2017 and not 2018 filers!!). 

He asked for an updated medical as the first question, and I replied I didn't have one as mine was still valid. That was fine. He didn't comment or make a weird face. He seemed to know that.

He did calculate the date to make sure I filed within the year (and he calculated to make sure we married within 90 days as well).

It was fine.

We got approved on the spot.

I hope that helps others who are also not willing to spend much money on a medical that might not be necessary.

Congratulations!

just to clarify: the clerk was looking that the medical was within one year or the clerk knew that for K visas is not required retake the medical examination as per the USCIS info I posted previously?

Timeline
5 hours ago, CE and JR said:

Congratulations!

just to clarify: the clerk was looking that the medical was within one year or the clerk knew that for K visas is not required retake the medical examination as per the USCIS info I posted previously?

He knew it wasn't necessary if you filed it within the year. So he checked that. I had mine done in May 2017 in Belgium, and I filed for AOS in September 2017. Clearly within the year. He just checked that out loud.

Still waiting for a final decision on AOS. Interview was 6 weeks ago, officer said would recommend the file for approval and that a supervisor needed to finalize the decision. We had an InfoPass appointment a week ago, got no new info other than confirming that yes our application was complete and they would forward it to a supervisor for review. This makes us think that maybe our file was never put to a supervisor pile for review 🤷‍♀️. This wait is almost harder than waiting for the actual interview!

Hey guys, I am so happy, got my letter from USCIS, my interview is scheduled for 11/27, Milwaukee office. Finally!! 

Such a big relief not having to renew the combocard, I was planning to start doing that this week. 

I will let you know about the final decision. Hope you guys hear sth soon too. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, debkennedy said:

Hey guys, I am so happy, got my letter from USCIS, my interview is scheduled for 11/27, Milwaukee office. Finally!! 

Such a big relief not having to renew the combocard, I was planning to start doing that this week. 

I will let you know about the final decision. Hope you guys hear sth soon too. 

Congrats im still waiting for the interview :whistle:

Timeline

Has anyone renewed their ead/ap yet?

I realize i have to use the i765 form to renew ead. But im confused as to which form to use to renew the travel document and cant seem to find it on here. The i765 has a check box for renewal but the i131 didnt so do you just have to reapply? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.