mighty836

December 2017 AOS

1,254 posts in this topic

So we had our Infopass appointment this morning.  Not sure I believe it was with an immigration officer because the gal was all over the place with her answers.  We were there because we want info on EAD and AP.  She immediately started telling us the processing times are 3-5 months (again, not the same info as the website but whatever) and that once they receive our case we will get a letter.  We showed her the letter from December and told her we already had it.  I also said that we called and spoke to a Tier 2 officer who said that they "just received" our case and I asked her to explain what that means.  She said that once the cases are received they are sent out to be processed at different locations.  I of course questioned that because we understood that all EAD/AP cases are processed at the NBC.  She punches some stuff in her computer and said that was there our case was.  Duh!  We explained that we have travel plans in May and we are there to see if there is movement on our case and if it has been adjudicated.  She said that she can see that they are working on it, but that it's not ready to be adjudicated.  She punched more buttons and from what I understand she was chatting with someone via a messenger system because after a couple minutes she said she spoke to a coworker who is more familiar with processing times and that if we don't hear anything in the next week to write a letter to NBC with our travel details and they will expedite.  Again, I questioned that because everything I read says they won't expedite based on that and she said no, that I should do it, and each situation is case by case and that since our travel is 5 months from applying that they will expedite.  Needless to say, I walked out not really sure what to think but will surely attempt to expedite next week.  

9 minutes ago, spike198 said:

So we had our Infopass appointment this morning.  Not sure I believe it was with an immigration officer because the gal was all over the place with her answers.  We were there because we want info on EAD and AP.  She immediately started telling us the processing times are 3-5 months (again, not the same info as the website but whatever) and that once they receive our case we will get a letter.  We showed her the letter from December and told her we already had it.  I also said that we called and spoke to a Tier 2 officer who said that they "just received" our case and I asked her to explain what that means.  She said that once the cases are received they are sent out to be processed at different locations.  I of course questioned that because we understood that all EAD/AP cases are processed at the NBC.  She punches some stuff in her computer and said that was there our case was.  Duh!  We explained that we have travel plans in May and we are there to see if there is movement on our case and if it has been adjudicated.  She said that she can see that they are working on it, but that it's not ready to be adjudicated.  She punched more buttons and from what I understand she was chatting with someone via a messenger system because after a couple minutes she said she spoke to a coworker who is more familiar with processing times and that if we don't hear anything in the next week to write a letter to NBC with our travel details and they will expedite.  Again, I questioned that because everything I read says they won't expedite based on that and she said no, that I should do it, and each situation is case by case and that since our travel is 5 months from applying that they will expedite.  Needless to say, I walked out not really sure what to think but will surely attempt to expedite next week.  

Hm, honestly I wouldn't be satisfied with this either.
It sounds like you're going to a tech support at the store and they have someone from the clothes department take care of you. If that makes sense.

I hope something will happen for you!

I have been a silent reader on this forum for a while but am beyond frustrated with this process and wanted to ask you all for insight and support while we await our EAD/AP documents together.

So I pasted my timeline below which provides more detail; however, I applied for I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrently on December 19, 2017. Had no movement on my case whatsoever until a congressional representative requested expeditious processing and followed-up countlessly on my behalf. I received a Request for Initial Evidence for my spouse's 2017 Tax Return, which by the way, did not even exist nor did we have access to this document during the time of filing in mid-December and provided an immediate response once we received the actual RFIE notice. I am now being told that because "initial evidence" was requested for my I-485 application, my case timeline has been reset to 0 and I am inside normal processing times. I am now at 96 days and have lost multiple job offers as a result of not having my EAD and have just received an offer for my dream job, which I am so eager to take. I am also so desperate to begin working again as I can't handle all this idle waiting (plus the inability to travel outside of the U.S.) I just don't understand how my I-765 can be delayed if the RFIE was for the I-485 and NOT the I-765.

Please - does anyone have similar insight about receiving an RFIE and still procuring their EAD at an appropriate time? Or any advice on how to expedite my case considering that USCIS requested documents that DID NOT exist during the time of filing?

I am beyond forlorn and just want to get my EAD/AP... as we all do.

Local office: New York, NY

Timeline:

12/19/2017: AOS/EAD/AP applications mailed

12/20/2017: Delivered to Chicago lockbox

12/26/2017: Fingerprint fee and checks cashed

01/02/2018: Notices received

01/13/2018: Biometrics appointment received and scheduled for 1/24

01/16/2018: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

02/23/2018: Inquired about expeditious processing of EAD with local congressional representative

02/26/2018: Provided privacy release and all pertinent documents congressional representative for expeditious processing

03/08/2018: Congressional representative followed up on my behalf, NBC confirmed RFIE was mailed

03/14/2018: RFIE had not yet arrived; congressional representative requested document from NBC to scan and share with me

03/15/2018: Lawyer prepared RFIE response and shipped overnight

03/16/2018: RFIE response was delivered to USCIS

03/19/2018: USCIS received RFIE response and update was reflected in case tracker; lawyer put in a status inquiry

03/26/2018: Called USCIS and requested to speak to a Tier 2 officer but none were available, representative provided me with minimal case information

45 minutes ago, oppcla said:

I have been a silent reader on this forum for a while but am beyond frustrated with this process and wanted to ask you all for insight and support while we await our EAD/AP documents together.

So I pasted my timeline below which provides more detail; however, I applied for I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrently on December 19, 2017. Had no movement on my case whatsoever until a congressional representative requested expeditious processing and followed-up countlessly on my behalf. I received a Request for Initial Evidence for my spouse's 2017 Tax Return, which by the way, did not even exist nor did we have access to this document during the time of filing in mid-December and provided an immediate response once we received the actual RFIE notice. I am now being told that because "initial evidence" was requested for my I-485 application, my case timeline has been reset to 0 and I am inside normal processing times. I am now at 96 days and have lost multiple job offers as a result of not having my EAD and have just received an offer for my dream job, which I am so eager to take. I am also so desperate to begin working again as I can't handle all this idle waiting (plus the inability to travel outside of the U.S.) I just don't understand how my I-765 can be delayed if the RFIE was for the I-485 and NOT the I-765.

Please - does anyone have similar insight about receiving an RFIE and still procuring their EAD at an appropriate time? Or any advice on how to expedite my case considering that USCIS requested documents that DID NOT exist during the time of filing?

Timeline:

02/23/2018: Inquired about expeditious processing of EAD with local congressional representative

02/26/2018: Provided privacy release and all pertinent documents congressional representative for expeditious processing

03/08/2018: Congressional representative followed up on my behalf, NBC confirmed RFIE was mailed

03/14/2018: RFIE had not yet arrived; congressional representative requested document from NBC to scan and share with me

03/19/2018: USCIS received RFIE response and update was reflected in case tracker; lawyer put in a status inquiry

03/26/2018: Called USCIS and requested to speak to a Tier 2 officer but none were available, representative provided me with minimal case information

Wow....  Out of curiosity, did you send the 2017 tax documents?  What did your lawyer have to say about it?  Seems like they could have pushed a bit on your behalf since it was an RFIE and not an rfe in which they wanted more proof of income therefore asking for tax returns for 2017 on top of the 2016 one you already sent.  Since you have an attorney, I would ask him/her about the reset on the time and if it has an affect on EAD/AP.  I would just be speculating if I gave my answer, although there are probably some folks on here that could give you insight.  Hopefully it doesn't have any impact.  BTW, great to hear that you got such a push from your Congressional rep.  Not everyone receives that much support!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, oppcla said:

Timeline:

Hello,

I am a January 2018 filer, and also received a RFIe, does it reset the clock on the case? I wish I could give you a definite answer but there is none, as usual with USCIS there is no clear guidelines, and it is depends on the person you talk to, or the adjudicator.

But since it took them 3 months to send the RFIE, I think you should get it sooner than later. Mine was early in the process, a month after my PD.

I have seen cases where right after the RFIE their EAD was approved and others were it actually took longer and delayed their case. Most cases when they received the RFIE a few months after the PD get their EAD soon after that, from the reading I did on the forum.

What you can do, is try to talk to your potential employer and see if they will not only give you a job offer letter signed but also wait for you. Because nowadays request to expedite EAD take about a month, from the time you send your request to actually getting the card in the mail. But since you have great support from your Congressman who knows you might be lucky and get it faster.

Also register to this website it has better up to date information and will help you during the expedited request: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Good luck, I pray you get some good news soon.

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

2 hours ago, oppcla said:

Timeline:

We have pretty much an exact timeline. Minus the RFE, which I didn't get.
You should request expedite for your job offer. Maybe you can bring valid reasons!

I'm not expecting anything EAD/AP wise in the next two weeks.

Personal note: Reading all the frustration here I'm kind of glad for my decision to not look for a job until my EAD is issued. Saves a lot of nerves.

2 hours ago, oppcla said:

Timeline:

Thought I saw something about this. Found it

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/tip-sheet-employment-authorization-applications-pending-more-75-days

If it is an RFIE the clock does start over but if it's a RFE it "pauses" and restarts when received. That's what I understood from the link above. 

As the 2017 tax returns were not available in Dec. Unless you did not send the 2016 tax returns you may be able to expedite due to USCIS error? It's one of the reasons. If they asked for it as initial evidence I would see this as an error? 

Edited by Ghmorrell

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am checking my status on uscis website and app for multiple times but it keeps saying validation error on aos but i can track the ap and ead. What does it mean?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Holy smokes 

I just read the new timelines on the new website and they are insane 

Aos for Chicago says:

11.5 months to 32 months 

Makes me want to clench my teeth even more..

1 hour ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Holy smokes 

Aos for Chicago says:

11.5 months to 32 months 

Yep same LA county 12-30 months. 

just received an email on my service request that we made last week saying that there is no update on our case!!!!!!! Really ?????!!!!! UGHHHH!!! 

K1 visa adventure 

02/20/2017- I-129F packet send to Dallas

02/22/2017- I-129F packet delivered

02/28/2017-- check cashed

03/01/2017-- NOA1 text and email received transferred to (CSC)

03/06/2017-- NOA1 hard copy received in the mail.

05/23/2017 -- Notified RFE

06/16/2017 -- Replied RFE

06/19/2017 -- CSC Received reply

06/26/2017-- Approved 

06/30/2017-- received NOA2

07/10/2017-- NVC Recived case

07/11/2017-- Case number assigned

08/14/2017-- Interview ( APPROVED )

AOS

11/29/17- Packet sent to Chicago lockbox ( I-485, I-765, I-131 included)

12/1/2017- recieved packet

12/6/2017 NOA1 text and email recieved

12/8/2017 NOA1 Hard copy recieved

12/26/2017 Biometrics done

03/31/2018 RFE - I-131

04/19/2018 Approved I-765, I-131 ( EAD & AP )

04/26/2018 Received combo card in mail

12/06/2018 Interview done - no decision

12/27/2018  APPROVED - card being produced

On 12/12/2017 at 12:38 AM, Kissfm said:

im filing for aos

sent my application through ups on 30th november

got notification that my application was recieved in Chicago on monday 4th dec

uscis just sent a 3 confirmation emails and 3 confirmation sms that my application was recieved by 11:55pm monday dec 12th!

Yesss! Woke up this morning to see an email from USCIS. they said a decision has been taken on my case and i should log into my account to view their decision. i just checked and it said my I-765 was approved and that my card was mailed to me on march 23rd! i got up and rushed to my mailbox and behold MY EAD!!!!!! Thank you lord! been waiting forever for this. Time to get that drivers license and get a job!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Holy smokes 

Aos for Chicago says:

11.5 months to 32 months 

8 hours ago, Ghmorrell said:

Yep same LA county 12-30 months. 

This made me check my local office, Baltimore. It says that the estimated time range is 8 - 64.5 months for I-485... How could the range be less than a year to over 5 years?

image.thumb.png.fbe0b6f1574faafe8fdfecc38e9b4338.png

im filing for aos

uscis just sent a 3 confirmation emails and 3 confirmation sms that my application was recieved by 11:55pm monday dec 12th!

Yesss! Woke up this morning to see an email from USCIS. they said a decision has been taken on my case and i should log into my account to view their decision. i just checked and it said my I-765 was approved and that my card was mailed to me on march 23rd! i got up and rushed to my mailbox and behold MY EAD!!!!!! Thank you lord! been waiting forever for this. Time to get that drivers license and get a job!

im filing for aos

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 minute ago, A_F said:

This made me check my local office, Baltimore. It says that the estimated time range is 8 - 64.5 months for I-485... How could the range be less than a year to over 5 years?

image.thumb.png.fbe0b6f1574faafe8fdfecc38e9b4338.png

But then it says that Family Based AOS is 7.5 - 21.5 months?

image.thumb.png.ebc0761d8e6fa3550e6ac7e9d2326b80.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.