Voice of Reason

We need to do more for our Veterans

35 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, IDWAF said:

They gave their all, and now they need help upon return.  No one returns the same, and some return seriously hurting and in need of help.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156083735023606&id=242181938605

As much as I feel for the family that act was a very selfish thing to do. The military has gone to great length to help those with any form of PTSD, so he could have sought the treatment he needed. Now instead of his family having him there to help in times of need he won't be there and his kids won't grow up with a father. The Army gives you many different classes and alot of help for transitioning veterans out in to the workforce, and if he knew when he was getting out then he should have started preparing for that eventual outcome. Why didn't he think of re-enlistng? 

You all can bash me for not being sympathetic but I don't care. I have gone done the very same road this soldier went down and yet here I am a stronger man/father because of that struggle. 

Edited by cyberfx1024

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
9 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

As much as I feel for the family that act was a very selfish thing to do. The military has gone to great length to help those with any form of PTSD, so he could have sought the treatment he needed. Now instead of his family having him there to help in times of need he won't be there and his kids won't grow up with a father. The Army gives you many different classes and alot of help for transitioning veterans out in to the workforce, and if he knew when he was getting out then he should have started preparing for that eventual outcome. Why didn't he think of re-enlistng? 

You all can bash me for not being sympathetic but I don't care. I have gone done the very same road this soldier went down and yet here I am a stronger man/father because of that struggle. 

I get what you mean, but not everyone is capable to find that strength. I can't imagine ever to be in the situation that I don't want to live anymore, even if I would be so depressed I wouldn't be able to do that to my kids. But I can imagine that a person is in so much pain that they can't handle it anymore. They can't even think straight. I used to think like you, but through out the years I came to the realization that a depression can be extremely severe. A person can actually feel like he is a burden to the ones he loves.

I do feel sad for his family but also for him, it's such a waste of life.

Edited by Beachlover

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

1 hour ago, Beachlover said:

I get what you mean, but not everyone is capable to find that strength. I can't imagine ever to be in the situation that I don't want to live anymore, even if I would be so depressed I wouldn't be able to do that to my kids. But I can imagine that a person is in so much pain that they can't handle it anymore. They can't even think straight. I used to think like you, but through out the years I came to the realization that a depression can be extremely severe. A person can actually feel like he is a burden to the ones he loves.

I do feel sad for his family but also for him, it's such a waste of life.

Exact same way I feel honestly with the added part that I hate how people think that life will get better for their family if they are gone. Because it won't and it will only get worse for his family. The only thing I hope is that he was still AD when he decided to end it so that the family can get some type of benefits. 

Filed: Timeline

I hear you, cyber.  Some of us were there, and have come back, if not "just fine" any longer, nowhere near the low that exists just before suicide.  Honestly, I didn't understand how anyone could get that low after deploying.  For me, nothing that happened over there ever made me feel like killing myself.

But having once upon a time contemplated suicide as a way to make life "better for everyone", I can only say that straight, intelligent thought is NOT part of the equation.

It's easy, at that low of a point, to think everyone would better off if you died.  I hope for your sake you never feel that way.  I was at the brink once, never asked for help, didn't want any.  But I stepped back.  I won.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  It has helped me to change my perspective from what you posted above.

"Before you judge a man you should walk a mile in his moccassins" comes to mind here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This outfit is very highly thought of:

http://ptsdusa.org/support-us/make-a-donation/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

11 hours ago, IDWAF said:

I hear you, cyber.  Some of us were there, and have come back, if not "just fine" any longer, nowhere near the low that exists just before suicide.  Honestly, I didn't understand how anyone could get that low after deploying.  For me, nothing that happened over there ever made me feel like killing myself.

But having once upon a time contemplated suicide as a way to make life "better for everyone", I can only say that straight, intelligent thought is NOT part of the equation.

It's easy, at that low of a point, to think everyone would better off if you died.  I hope for your sake you never feel that way.  I was at the brink once, never asked for help, didn't want any.  But I stepped back.  I won.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  It has helped me to change my perspective from what you posted above.

"Before you judge a man you should walk a mile in his moccassins" comes to mind here.

I have felt at one time when I got back about being suicidal honestly when I got out of the Marines and was going through a really bad break up/divorce that landed me in jail for 48 hours. Then I thought about my kids and how I could never do that to them at all, how I had to much to live for. Thankfully I did not take that route, my current wife was instrumental in being there for me when I needed someone the most to just be a friend and a springboard to talk to. That was what I call my low point in 2010, and every since that time I have building back up and thankfully now I am usually ok now without a quiet moment in the house with 4 kids. I was lucky about 2 years ago the VA sent me to a outside Shrink in Glendale that I saw weekly and she really was great. 

Edited by cyberfx1024

2 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I have felt at one time when I got back about being suicidal honestly when I got out of the Marines and was going through a really bad break up/divorce that landed me in jail for 48 hours. Then I thought about my kids and how I could never do that to them at all, how I had to much to live for. Thankfully I did not take that route, my current wife was instrumental in being there for me when I needed someone the most to just be a friend and a springboard to talk to. That was what I call my low point in 2010, and every since that time I have building back up and thankfully now I am usually ok now without a quiet moment in the house with 4 kids. I was lucky about 2 years ago the VA sent me to a outside Shrink in Glendale that I saw weekly and she really was great. 

Shoot me a PM if you ever need/want to talk.  I’ll gladly give you my phone number.  Any time, day or night.  Maybe late at night, when th kids are sleeping? :) 

But seriously...

Timeline

When I met my husband I couldn't imagine that he went through the same things you guys went through, he is the happiest positive person. He too was depressed after he came back from Iraq and in combination with the death of one of his parents and a crazy ex, it drove him to the edge of insanity.  He has battled that and I'm really proud to see how he managed to get his life back on track, earn his Bachelor and overall he is a very happy positive person. But yes, he too had a couple times that he wanted to end it all and honestly, I don't know how I would handle that if we were together at that time.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

32 minutes ago, Beachlover said:

When I met my husband I couldn't imagine that he went through the same things you guys went through, he is the happiest positive person. He too was depressed after he came back from Iraq and in combination with the death of one of his parents and a crazy ex, it drove him to the edge of insanity.  He has battled that and I'm really proud to see how he managed to get his life back on track, earn his Bachelor and overall he is a very happy positive person. But yes, he too had a couple times that he wanted to end it all and honestly, I don't know how I would handle that if we were together at that time.

Yeah I firmly believe if I didn't have my wife back then I wouldn't be where I am at today in all honesty. She is my rock and springboard in life. She has been there for me in everything with love and support, but a firm kick in the butt when I needed it. This has allowed me to earn my Bachelors, and I am working on my MBA right now. But what keeps me going when I have bad days is when I come home and see my family, that to me is all worth it. :D 

Edited by cyberfx1024

Timeline
3 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah I firmly believe if I didn't have my wife back then I wouldn't be where I am at today in all honesty. She is my rock and springboard in life. She has been there for me in everything with love and support, but a firm kick in the butt when I needed it. This has allowed me to earn my Bachelors, and I am working on my MBA right now. But what keeps me going when I have bad days is when I come home and see my family, that to me is all worth it. :D 

That's so sweet, I just read this to my husband and he said: he, that's my text!!

Consider yourself blessed, but I'm sure you already do.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

5 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

At the end of the day, that’s exactly what matters.  Nothing more so than family who love you. Instead of having kids who have to hang their head every year in sorrow over a gravestone, we have kids who get to smile and wish us a happy birthday in person.  It may not have seemed like it was the right thing back when things were so bleak, but I think we are all on the same sheet of music now!  Glad you’re still here to argue with us!

And Beachlover, thanks for sharing your husband’s story with us.  Very glad he was able to get thru his struggles and become the husband of a great lady!

Edited by IDWAF

Timeline
1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

And Beachlover, thanks for sharing your husband’s story with us.  Very glad he was able to get thru his struggles and become the husband of a great lady!

Thank you! Much appreciated.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
18 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

It is amazing what a solid partnership will do for someone’s life.  I cannot comment on the PTSD issue as I don’t have the experience, but it is good to see that there are programs available to help.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

A nice story of selflessness of a veteran, and at least one person doing more to help said veteran.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5107571/Woman-raises-money-homeless-man-helped-her.html

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!