Hawksquill

Adjustment of Status interview evidence questions

11 posts in this topic

We received our notice of action for our AOS interview in December - hooray!  But we have a few questions about evidence we need to bring, specifically things marked as "unless already submitted" on the list.  We HAVE previously submitted these things, but don't want to get burnt and rejected for not bringing copies anyway.  Better safe than sorry, but just figured we'd double check and see what others have done.

1) Do we need to bring his proof of vaccinations and medical inspection record if he already got it done during his K1 interview?  He previously submitted it both for K1 and for AOS.  We only have photocopies because they've kept the originals, anyway.

2) Do we need to bring the affidavit of support and supporting documents if we already submitted one as part of K1?  I've changed jobs since then, so if we do need to bring this, should I bring in a copy of the form I did last time, or fill out the form all over again and get new supporting documents? 

We've also started compiling a list of evidence we plan to bring.  The above two questions and associated evidence notwithstanding, this is what we have so far:

-Interview notice

-Husband's passport

-Photocopy of husband's passport bio page and K1 visa page with stamp

-Husband's EAD/AP

-Photocopy of husband's EAD/AP

-Husband's birth certificate

-Photocopy of husband's birth certificate

-Husband's I-94 (printed from online)

-US citizen spouse's birth certificate

-Copy of USC spouse's birth certificate

-Certified copy of marriage certificate (we ordered multiple so we will let them take it, no photocopies needed)

-USC spouse's passport

-Photocopy of USC spouse's passport bio page and page with UK student visa stamp

-Joint bank statemnets

-Health insurance card showing husband as beneficiary

-Photocopies of health insurance cards

-Car insurance with both of our names

-Apartment lease with both of our names

-Life insurance documents showing husband as beneficiary

-Utility bills with both of our names

-Wedding photos

-Photos with family, friends, and vacations we took together

-Hotel receipts from recent anniversary vacation

If we do need to bring vaccination/medical docs and affidavit of support docs, we will also bring:

-Photocopies of medical examination form and vaccination records

-Affidavit of support form

-USCS most recent tax returns

-USCS most recent W-2

-USCS employer letter

-USCS two most recent paystubs

Does this sound sufficient?  Is there anything major we're missing?  We have checklist after checklist but we'd love to have a second set of eyes read over our list.

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

Edited by Hawksquill

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

You have plenty of evidence.

If your spouses financial situation has changed, that mat come up. Therefore, I would definerively bring a new affidavit and evidence.

If the medical is less than one year old and vaccinations marked complete, you shouldn’t need to bring anything for that.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

This is a great list. I'm reviewing ours now as our interview is tomorrow morning and our lists are very similar. 

Anyone know if we need to bring copies of documents from initial AOS filing?

AOS Journey

*Delay in filing due to typo on visa which took many calls, an InfoPass appointment, and about two months to resolve.

AOS/EAD/AP applications sent: 11/30/2016

NOA: 12/2/2016

RFE notice rec'd online: 12/21/2016

Biometrics appt. letter rec'd: 12/27/2016

RFE letter rec'd: 12/30/2016

Biometrics appointment: 1/4/2017

RFE response sent: 1/9/2017

RFE response receipt notice: 1/11/2017

Case status update text: 1/21/2017 (but no actual update available)

EAD/AP approval notice/card ordered (email and online): 2/13/2017

EAD/AP card mailed (e-notification): 2/15/2017

EAD/AP card received: 2/17/2017

Service request submitted: 7/11/2017

Service request processed: 8/4/2017

Service request response received (with no update): 8/9/2017

Interview letter received: 10/18/17

Interview appointment: 11/15/17

Approval: 11/15/17 

K1 Journey

Sent I-129F Packet: 11/25/2015
NOA1 (official date from hard copy): 12/2/2015

NOA1 e-notification: 12/3/2015

NOA2: 1/7/2016

Interview: 4/7/2016 - Approved!

Arrival: 5/30/2016 (POE Chicago O'Hare)

Marriage: 7/9/2016

Second (big) wedding: 11/12/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

If it was in your application packet they have it. No need to repeat. You would have gotten an RFE already if something major was left out. If they want a photocopy of something, they usually go to the copy machine and make a copy.

Do we need to bring the affidavit of support and supporting documents if we already submitted one as part of K1?

The K1 is over. This is a new process with a different agency. If you have changed jobs since the I-864 was submitted as part of AOS, then the one you submitted is no longer truthful. Bring a new one.

Do we need to bring his proof of vaccinations and medical inspection record if he already got it done during his K1 interview?

I've never known anybody to get their entire medical exam results from Knightsbridge so not sure how you even have that. Most have a photocopy of only the vaccination sheet(s). All the originals are supposed to be in your file. Sometimes they never make it there from storage where they go after POE. If the medical file is "lost" you may be asked to have another exam. Nobody needs the chest x-ray you got on a cd at the interview.

this list is much more exhaustive than we provided and we recently passed the interview process without any undo stress, I believe you are fine. Good Luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, for how long have you been waiting for the interview invitation after he got his work permit. I got my work permit in end of July but until now, no interview notice yet.

Good luck in your interview.

In my wifes case, she has received her greencard 2 weeks ago, her EAD shows no action and her AP was 30 days from submission. We were very lucky on her quick AOS

42 minutes ago, Quad City said:

Just out of curiosity, for how long have you been waiting for the interview invitation after he got his work permit. I got my work permit in end of July but until now, no interview notice yet.

Good luck in your interview.

We applied for AOS on May 11 and he got his work permit in October.  We had a very long wait for the EAD/AP and ended up going through our congresswoman.  We were expecting a much longer wait for the interview because our field office (Hartford, CT) says they're processing I-485s from December.  

I think it mostly just depends on the field office and has nothing to do with when you got EAD/AP.

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Uganda
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hawksquill said:

We applied for AOS on May 11 and he got his work permit in October.  We had a very long wait for the EAD/AP and ended up going through our congresswoman.  We were expecting a much longer wait for the interview because our field office (Hartford, CT) says they're processing I-485s from December.  

I think it mostly just depends on the field office and has nothing to do with when you got EAD/AP.

Well, i will just keep waiting. Would love to also hear how your interviews go.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

On our AOS appointment letter and letter for evidence to bring it says to bring certain items but it also says UNLESS already submitted. Also just bring the evidence they ask on the letter, it's pretty straight forward. Your list is pretty much what is asked for. Good luck. 

My wife's interview is on December 5, day before our child is scheduled to be born. Should be interesting!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

It seems like you have everything the immigration officer might want to see. I brought almost everything I could as well including things I submitted for K1 and initial AOS submission (except those that stated "unless already submitted" on the notice). Most of them were already stored on my laptop and all I had to do was print, so I thought why not just prepare everything. For my case, I did not get the approval on the spot (although USCIS status updated like 1.5 hours after the interview lol) and the IO mentioned she will go through my file for a bit more, so I offered some more evidence that I didn't submit initially and she took them. Just make sure that you know what's where. Except for the docs that are necessary for identification purposes, I would recommend you classifying the documents in these categories - submitted with K1 / submitted with AOS package / not submitted with AOS package. 

My interview experience was more like a casual conversation rather than me being busy bringing out everything. During the talk the IO would ask if she can see the evidence related to that event. She would ask whether my husband met my parents, then I would show her pictures of him with my parents which was included in our K1 submission. She would ask where we live and how many bedrooms we have, and she would ask for the rental documents. It really is nothing to be nervous about. Just be honest about everything. 

Medicals - I had no problem ever since from K1 stage to the interview. The IO did not ask anything about medicals. I think this is because my vaccination records from K1 showed that it was ticked complete. I have been following this forum for quite a while and I tried to everything done at the K1 stage. I still submitted the copy I got from the hospital for both the AOS package and had it ready for the interview. 

Edited by montblanc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.