Charlene Gei

Passport expiry and name change after marriage (split)

44 posts in this topic

Hello, i have a question related on this topic.. my philippine passport is expiring on july 2018, and i am married here in the US with a US citizen, i am a K1 visa.. i want to renew and change my passport name in to my married name now.. BUT, i’m still waiting for my AOS interview.. is there have any problem in the future? Because the one i used passport as supporting documents in my AOS is my maiden name..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post split off from zombie thread and moved to the PI portal from K1 P&P~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Other more knowledgable people may chime in and correct me if I am wrong but I believe you will first need to do an ROM (Report of Marriage) with the Philippine Consulate closest to where you were married (not sure what state you live in). Then you will be able to apply for a new passport in your married name. As for the AOS I don't believe you will have any problem because you will have a marriage certificate as reason for the name change. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Charlene Gei said:

Hello, i have a question related on this topic.. my philippine passport is expiring on july 2018, and i am married here in the US with a US citizen, i am a K1 visa.. i want to renew and change my passport name in to my married name now.. BUT, i’m still waiting for my AOS interview.. is there have any problem in the future? Because the one i used passport as supporting documents in my AOS is my maiden name..

#1  complete ROM (Report of Marriage) with the Philippine consulate representing the state where you were married.

You NOA from filing AOS can be used if you do not have your green card 

Just now, Hank_ said:

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

Other more knowledgable people may chime in and correct me if I am wrong but I believe you will first need to do an ROM (Report of Marriage) with the Philippine Consulate closest to where you were married (not sure what state you live in). Then you will be able to apply for a new passport in your married name. As for the AOS I don't believe you will have any problem because you will have a marriage certificate as reason for the name change. 

They require evidence that a person has not acquired foreign citizenship .. thus wanting a copy of the green card or I-797 Notice of Action for filing AOS 

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
5 hours ago, Charlene Gei said:

How many months to process the ROM?.

ROM is 6-8 weeks if you mail it in, if memory serves.   We did everything at an outreach event, got the ROM document back in about 4 weeks, passport was not too far behind that.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

6 hours ago, Charlene Gei said:

How many months to process the ROM?.

If you mail it in to a consulate then it takes roughly 6-8 weeks. But if you go there in person it can be done the same day. 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

If you mail it in to a consulate then it takes roughly 6-8 weeks. But if you go there in person it can be done the same day. 

It still takes about 4 weeks before you get the registered copy back in the mail, as it has to be sent to PSA then back to the consulate.  But yes, she can do both ROM and passport the same day in person at the consulate or an outreach .. I totally agree there!

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

6 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

6 hours ago, Hank_ said:

It still takes about 4 weeks before you get the registered copy back in the mail, as it has to be sent to PSA then back to the consulate.  But yes, she can do both ROM and passport the same day in person at the consulate or an outreach .. I totally agree there!

So you mean. If i go to consulate to apply the ROM, i can also apply my passport and change name at the same time?

58 minutes ago, Charlene Gei said:

So you mean. If i go to consulate to apply the ROM, i can also apply my passport and change name at the same time?

Opo 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Charlene Gei said:

Yes ...   Oo  ;) 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Charlene Gei said:

Maraming salamat po 😊 so kapag nag-apply ako ng personal sa consulate, mga 4 weeks lang po ba yung process?

Walang anuman

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm about to Report my Marriage in the Philippine Consulate and renew my passport in person. :) Do I need to bring 2 self addressed envelope (one for the passport and one for the report of marriage) or just 1? I'm confused.

Thank you!!

God has perfect timing; never early, never late. It takes a little patience and it takes a lot of faith but it's worth the wait. ❤️

I was on a K-1 Visa on 2014.

I-751 Timeline California Service Center:

• Sent Packet: July 03,2017
  • NOA 1 Receipt Date: July 05,2017
  • NOA 2 Receipt Date: July 14,2017
  • Biometrics: August 02, 2017
  • Case Received at My Local Office - No Mail Notice- Just Online Status: February 26,2018
  • I-551 Stamp: August 13, 2018
  • 18 Months Extension Letter Receipt Date: August 18,2018
  • 18 Months Extension Letter Received: August 25, 2018
  • New Card is being Produced: October 15, 2018
  • Case was Approved: October 16,2018
  • Card was Mailed to me: October 17,2018
  • Card was picked up by the USPS: October 18,2018
  • Card Received/on Hand: October 19,2018

N-400 Timeline Las Vegas Field Office:

• Online Application : January 03,2019
  • Biometrics Appointment Scheduled: January 04, 2019
  • Biometrics: January 25, 2019
  • Interview Scheduled: August 16,2019
  • Interview Day: September 23, 2019
  • Approved Application: September 23, 2019
  • Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled: October 10,2019
  • Naturalization Day: November 15,2019
  • Passport Applied: November 15,2019 (Regular Processing)
  • Passport Received: January 07, 2020

IR-5 Timeline California Service Center - MOTHER:

• I-30 Online Application - January 08, 2020
  • NOA 1 Receipt Notice Received - January 13,2020
  • Approved (Approval Notice was uploaded online) - May 18,2020
  • NVC Number was issued via E-mail - May 18,2020
  • Submitted Documents on CEAC - July 23,2020
  • Documentarily Qualified - September 29,2020

Waiting for the interview schedule before doing the medical....

IR-5 Timeline California Service Center- FATHER

• I-30 Online Application : January 08,2020
  • NOA 1 Receipt Notice Received: January 13, 2020
  • Approved (Approval Notice was uploaded online) - October 23,2020
  • NVC Number was issued via E-mail - October 28,2020
  • Submitted Documents on CEAC - November 02,2020
  • Documentarily Qualified - January 27,2021

Waiting for the interview schedule before doing the medical....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.