Kevindam99

I-130 completed and responded, but waiting for more than 7 months for next step

12 posts in this topic

Background Information

Living in Taipei, Taiwan.  

American Citizens in family - Husband, and two sons

applying for spousal visa - wifef

Stated in the "citizen path website" ---

After the approval of an I-130 petition, USCIS will send your file to the National Visa Center (NVC). And the NVC will eventually coordinate the transfer of your case to the U.S. consulate in the country where you reside. This is known as consular processing. But first, several things need to happen.

We sent out our i-130 in beginning of April 2017, now its almost November 2017 (7 months) and still no next step response.  

Is it taking longer now because Trump is in office?  Or is this wait time normal?

And would it be better to just move back to America and have my wife on a visitng visa and apply while in America?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Dam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

immigration has been slowing down over the years

understaffed and more petitions every year. the approval time for the i130 is taking an average of 9 or 10 months, so you are still within the normal time frame

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

**Post moved from K1 Process to CR1 Progress Reports. OP is currently waiting for CR1 to be approved.

OP - Have you received, at least, confirmation that they received your petition? Sorry if the question sounds silly but I can assure you is a valid question.

7 hours ago, Kevindam99 said:

Thank you all for your help!   What a great community!

Yes, we sent in the i-130 and they sent us back a letter saying that they received it.  -but still that was about 7 months ago.  

Yeah it is taking roughly about 9-12 months right now for that to be approved. 

I recommend that you fill in your timeline.  If you do, you get an estimate of when your petition will be processed.  I have found it to be a good estimate (within one month).

Alternatively, you can click on the immigration timeline link above and it will show you the NOA1 dates that are being processed at each service center.  

I have found the dates provided with either of the above methods to be far more reliable than the dates UCSIS publishes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I totally understand....My wait time will be 9 months come November 9th...From what someone told me, I am within the normal time frame...I am giving it until November 9th and if haven't heard anything, I may just have to call, but will that even help? Praying that we all receive good news soon...

@Loray

That's a long time for the Texas Service Center.  I don't know if it's because there are a lot of petitions for spouses in Nigeria.

I noticed that TSC is processing Jan 24, 2017 petitions as of Aug. 30 according to the USCIS website.  If the next update shows a date later than your NOA1 date, I would definitely call them. 

At that time you can also try to enlist the help of your Senator.  I've heard that they have people in their office that can find out what is going on or help nudge the process.

Edited by SAJourney

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Team! 

Thanks again for all the responses.  I do hope and pray we all receive good news soon.

QUICK QUESTION : 

If I have filed the i-130 and received the notice that they received it (just like stated above) ------- My previous plan was to stay in the country (Taiwan) we are currently living.  HOWEVER, do you guys think it would be a good idea to go back to the USA and continue to file there?  Does the fee that I paid for the i-130 get transferred over if I can do this?  

I am just so tired of waiting so long for something that should be so simple (since I have been married to my wife for TEN YEARS and we have TWO CHILDREN).  

Thoughts? 

10 hours ago, Kevindam99 said:

Hi Team! 

Thanks again for all the responses.  I do hope and pray we all receive good news soon.

QUICK QUESTION : 

If I have filed the i-130 and received the notice that they received it (just like stated above) ------- My previous plan was to stay in the country (Taiwan) we are currently living.  HOWEVER, do you guys think it would be a good idea to go back to the USA and continue to file there?  Does the fee that I paid for the i-130 get transferred over if I can do this?  

I am just so tired of waiting so long for something that should be so simple (since I have been married to my wife for TEN YEARS and we have TWO CHILDREN).  

Thoughts? 

I have a similar issue except that I am the US citizen and I am petitioning for my husband. We have 2 kids(US citizen already), married for 15 years and have been living abroad for the past 20 years.  I applied in May 2017, a month after you, and am also stuck in Nebraska.  In any other center, we should be hearing soon but with Nebraska u never really know. It is frustrating as we can't plan anything right now. We r hoping to move next summer to start the school year in the states and we may have to leave my hubbie in HK.  it will be such a mess to divide finances n stuff. 

I don't think u can get out of this whole process even with a move to the states. And the applicant will have to return to the home country to interview anyway. And of course, no fee transfer!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.