calengineer

Would a minor get granted a tourist visa if he's under i130 processing one parent is a legal resident?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

Ahead of time, let me thank you all for your time and helping us in this time of need. Let me explain the situation.

My brother is currently 12 years old and resides in Mexico. Our mother is currently in the USA and resides there as a green card holder. She applied for my brother (i130) as soon as she became green card holder 18 months ago, but unfortunately, he still has to wait at least 18-24 months until a visa becomes available plus additional time until the visa gets processed. Our father is currently with him in Mexico. 

Our mother wants him to visit her on his winter break for around 2-3 weeks. There is no intention of overstaying his visa and not to return. In fact, there is 100% intention of returning back because it is the best to wait his turn in Mexico and avoid issues with immigration in the future. Yet, the mother would love to see him since its been over a year since they haven't seen each other and she wants him to know where she lives and show him around the city where she lives. Our mother will pay entirely for the trip. Our father will take him to the immigration appointment and will travel with him since he's also a green card holder but he's currently residing in Mexico. 

How likely is it that he gets granted a b1/b2 visa? What documents should he take to increase the likelihood? Any other thoughts? 

My Timeline - From when I became resident to now

My Photos - As time has passed by

VisaJourneySignature.JPG

N-400: Citizenship (Applying pursuant to INA 319(b))
Service Center : Fairfax, VA
CIS Office : Fairfax, VA
Date Filed : 15-Aug-2014
Bio. Appt. : 09-Sep-2014 (issued by error as applicant had already taken fingerprints overseas).
Bio. Appt Corrected. : 14-Sep-14 (Bio appt canceled by immigration since application already included fingerprint card).
Interview Appointment Received via E-Mail : 25-Nov-14
Interview Date, Place, and Status: 09-Dec-14 in Fairfax, VA (Accepted)
Same Day Oath Ceremony: 09-Dec-14
US Passport Received: 11-Dec-14
Comments : Applied pursuant to INA 319(b) on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen who is or will be regularly stationed abroad. Application sent to the Virginia office. Fingerprints taken at overseas embassy and sealed on enveloped to be sent with N-400 application.

I-130: IR-5 Visa (Wife Petitioned Parents)
Service Center : N/A
Consulate : Juarez, Mexico
I-130 Sent to Phoenix PO Box : 17-Feb-15
I-130 NOA1 : 24-Feb-15 (Routed to Nebraska Service Center)
I-130 NOA2 : 24-Jul-15 (Exactly 5 months or 150 days from NOA1)
NVC Received I-130 : 10-Aug-15
NVC Produced Case Number: 16-Aug-15
Received NVC Letter with Case Numbers: 24-Aug-15
Submitted DS-261 Online Forms: 25-Aug-15
Resubmitted one DS-261 as made a mistake: 25-Aug-15
Payed AOS Fees: 25-Aug-15 (USD 120.00 for both)
Sent I864: 07-Sep-15
Paid IV Fee: 29-Sep-15 (USD 325.00 for each)
Submitted DS-260: 06-Oct-15
I864 Reviewed: 07-Oct-15 (2014 W2 missing but NVC will proceed with interview as long as applicant takes it to interview)

veC6p4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 10/25/2017 at 6:10 AM, monica7777 said:

I highly doubt they will give him a tourist visa, as the I-130 has been submitted and intention to live in the U.S. is  evident. You could try.

There is the intention to live in the US due to the I-130 of course. But there is also the intention simply to visit his mom during his vacation and then go back and wait with his dad until he gets his turn.

My Timeline - From when I became resident to now

My Photos - As time has passed by

VisaJourneySignature.JPG

N-400: Citizenship (Applying pursuant to INA 319(b))
Service Center : Fairfax, VA
CIS Office : Fairfax, VA
Date Filed : 15-Aug-2014
Bio. Appt. : 09-Sep-2014 (issued by error as applicant had already taken fingerprints overseas).
Bio. Appt Corrected. : 14-Sep-14 (Bio appt canceled by immigration since application already included fingerprint card).
Interview Appointment Received via E-Mail : 25-Nov-14
Interview Date, Place, and Status: 09-Dec-14 in Fairfax, VA (Accepted)
Same Day Oath Ceremony: 09-Dec-14
US Passport Received: 11-Dec-14
Comments : Applied pursuant to INA 319(b) on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen who is or will be regularly stationed abroad. Application sent to the Virginia office. Fingerprints taken at overseas embassy and sealed on enveloped to be sent with N-400 application.

I-130: IR-5 Visa (Wife Petitioned Parents)
Service Center : N/A
Consulate : Juarez, Mexico
I-130 Sent to Phoenix PO Box : 17-Feb-15
I-130 NOA1 : 24-Feb-15 (Routed to Nebraska Service Center)
I-130 NOA2 : 24-Jul-15 (Exactly 5 months or 150 days from NOA1)
NVC Received I-130 : 10-Aug-15
NVC Produced Case Number: 16-Aug-15
Received NVC Letter with Case Numbers: 24-Aug-15
Submitted DS-261 Online Forms: 25-Aug-15
Resubmitted one DS-261 as made a mistake: 25-Aug-15
Payed AOS Fees: 25-Aug-15 (USD 120.00 for both)
Sent I864: 07-Sep-15
Paid IV Fee: 29-Sep-15 (USD 325.00 for each)
Submitted DS-260: 06-Oct-15
I864 Reviewed: 07-Oct-15 (2014 W2 missing but NVC will proceed with interview as long as applicant takes it to interview)

veC6p4.png

4 hours ago, calengineer said:

There is the intention to live in the US due to the I-130 of course. But there is also the intention simply to visit his mom during his vacation and then go back and wait with his dad until he gets his turn.

good luck trying.  hard for f2a bene to get visitor visa.  everybody know visitor visa not for visit but to come live temporary while wait for visa.  very common.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, calengineer said:

You have to look at it from the CO's point of view.

The CO is going to automatically think that, with the i-130 already in place, there is a greater chance that someone who applies for a tourist visa is planning on not returning to their home country afterwards.  Also, since he is only 12 years old, there are really no ties for him to show as proof he WILL return..

Just by reading your original post, there appears to be more ties in the USA than in Mexico for the 12 year old:  There is intent to immigrate already shown by the i-130 being filed. The mother is a US LPR and lives in the US.  The father is a US LPR...who plans on travelling with him to the US.  Obviously, there is no job for the 12 year old to come back to, and no assets owned by the 12 year old in Mexico.  

The chances of a CO believing that the child will return to Mexico after a short visit is slim to none.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.