atlus

K-1 VISA I-129F & TAXES

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Question on petition for K-1 Visa and have not  filed taxes for 2014-2016

Last year I paid thinking I was caught up but the IRS said no that I stilled owed from 2014 so they said as long as I am giving them somthing every year its ok but I was not planning do a K-1Visa.

I called the USCIS today and they said they look at my money and job to see if i can support my Fiance financially not so much that I am behind in my Taxes . 

Anyone have any experience I was planing on catching up with my taxes in full next June but not now.

Any information on this would be good. I basically have not filed for my 2014 - 2016 but i did work just have not filed them.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, atlus said:

Question on petition for K-1 Visa and have not  filed taxes for 2014-2016

Last year I paid thinking I was caught up but the IRS said no that I stilled owed from 2014 so they said as long as I am giving them somthing every year its ok but I was not planning do a K-1Visa.

I called the USCIS today and they said they look at my money and job to see if i can support my Fiance financially not so much that I am behind in my Taxes . 

Anyone have any experience I was planing on catching up with my taxes in full next June but not now.

Any information on this would be good. I basically have not filed for my 2014 - 2016 but i did work just have not filed them.

You will find that your taxes must be current. This will come up & you will be asked to submit tax transcripts. Obtain those free from the IRS on line. That info isn't needed when you first file so you have a few months to straighten out the situation until the case reaches a certain point. If you don't submit the required tax info at the right time they will issue an RFE for that info putting the case in limbo until you do. This usually causes at least a 60 day delay but can be much longer in Thailand. 

Timeline

I would not be able to pay the total . I have talk with a tax person and they said the IRS would put me on a monthly payment plan so I can file my late taxes but I would make payments on them .

USCIS should be ok with that as long as I am paying them off I hope.

Timeline
45 minutes ago, atlus said:

I would not be able to pay the total . I have talk with a tax person and they said the IRS would put me on a monthly payment plan so I can file my late taxes but I would make payments on them .

USCIS should be ok with that as long as I am paying them off I hope.

Be very careful with what you believe USCIS will be ok with. Search here on V J for similar situations related to taxes. There is a requirement to supply at the most current tax year transcript. Use caution because there have been many cases where the tax issue caused a denial or delays. They may decide your tax burden is enough to cause money issues in the relationship but only you will be able to submit the proof required. Leave nothing to chance when it comes to immigration. 

Anyone can go on line & set up tax payments on the IRS web site. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Inlovefern said:

The way I read the form i134 instructioms it says submit your tax returns if you re self employed.

Am I mistaken??

I am not behind on my taxes, I file extensions. Should be caught up soon anyways.

Use the search block to find tax issues related to K 1s. USCIS requires at least the most current years tax transcript at some point. Tax returns can be submitted but must include every type of info related to the filing. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ning said:

Be very careful with what you believe USCIS will be ok with. Search here on V J for similar situations related to taxes. There is a requirement to supply at the most current tax year transcript. Use caution because there have been many cases where the tax issue caused a denial or delays. They may decide your tax burden is enough to cause money issues in the relationship but only you will be able to submit the proof required. Leave nothing to chance when it comes to immigration. 

Anyone can go on line & set up tax payments on the IRS web site. 

Thank you for the reply I am working on it now as best i can with a Tax person.  One attorney said maybe just pay 2016 but i think they want last 3 years so dunno.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ning said:

Use the search block to find tax issues related to K 1s. USCIS requires at least the most current years tax transcript at some point. Tax returns can be submitted but must include every type of info related to the filing. 

Ok, But what other info is realated to  filing ,,, i am thinking about not even doing this K-1 HA to much trouble

Timeline
1 minute ago, atlus said:

Thank you for the reply I am working on it now as best i can with a Tax person.  One attorney said maybe just pay 2016 but i think they want last 3 years so dunno.

I believe they require just the current tax year for a K 1. 

Please keep in mind that you have months to gain ground before the taxes become an issue. The initial docs ask about your recent employment but don't require a tax transcript so you can file the case while clearing up the problems. 

Timeline

Thank you for the reply and help. I have been so sad about this . I was going to  file and pay all of it after the visa was finished but i cannot do both. dunno. I can file 2016 pay it off and see if thats ok.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, atlus said:

Ok, But what other info is realated to  filing ,,, i am thinking about not even doing this K-1 HA to much trouble

Anything info used to file the taxes must be submitted IF a transcript is not used. Whatever is sent to the IRS must be submitted unless a transcript is used. 

Any immigration based visa will require the tax info at some point. USCIS requires proof that the immigrant doesn't become a burden on the govt. 

Timeline

I have over there yearly income requirement on hand setting in my bank and i make well over there requirement i just have not  filed HA.  Money in the bank on hand you think that would be enough and I am a commercial pilot with a good wage. Just behind in my Taxes. I have all my W2's and pay stubs with bank statements  but i just have not  filed my 2014-2016.  currently I am so stupid. i will just keep crying and rinking my scotch LOL  ;)

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ning said:

Anything info used to file the taxes must be submitted IF a transcript is not used. Whatever is sent to the IRS must be submitted unless a transcript is used. 

Any immigration based visa will require the tax info at some point. USCIS requires proof that the immigrant doesn't become a burden on the govt. 

I just talked with Saim Legal my attoreny and they were very helpful and said the same thing you said. The other attorneys in the USA would say different things but Siam Legal said that I have to pay the most current year then after we get married the next interview they will want to see me pay the other back taxes. I can do this.

The tax return (or transcript) for the most recent tax year may be requested by the CO for the I-134. COs at some embassies require this and others won't. Having filed is all that is required, although the I-134 itself is just a tool to help them assess the beneficiary's public charge concern...so if the sponsor has a significant back tax burden relative to their income, they may consider that a risk. It's best to be current to avoid issues.

After entering the US on the K-1 visa and marrying, the beneficiary will need to file for AOS to obtain permanent residency. The petitioner will need to submit an I-864 for this, which requires the most recent tax year's tax return (or transcript), along with having filed for the past 3 years. Again, they only need to be filed but they will still look at the totality of the circumstances to determine the public charge concern.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

The tax return (or transcript) for the most recent tax year may be requested by the CO for the I-134. COs at some embassies require this and others won't. Having filed is all that is required, although the I-134 itself is just a tool to help them assess the beneficiary's public charge concern...so if the sponsor has a significant back tax burden relative to their income, they may consider that a risk. It's best to be current to avoid issues.

After entering the US on the K-1 visa and marrying, the beneficiary will need to file for AOS to obtain permanent residency. The petitioner will need to submit an I-864 for this, which requires the most recent tax year's tax return (or transcript), along with having filed for the past 3 years. Again, they only need to be filed but they will still look at the totality of the circumstances to determine the public charge concern.

Thank you,

I just spoke with my attorney and he said a same thing but he said they will not care about  the rest until after the 90 days in the USA but the first interview for the visa my attorney said just file and pay 2016 and show i have 30k in my checking and that I make well above there required minimum. So i think if I file and pay 2016 and then that gives me time to pay 2014-15 later. If not oh well i will just stay in Burma lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.