jsj1992

AOS interview approved (10yrs GC) - some concerns?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all! 

We had our AOS interview yesterday and were approved. They told us we should receive our GC within 4-6 weeks and gave us this letter afterwards and he said they'll also mail us a letter of approval. He gave us the 10yr GC because we're married for 2yrs now and told us we can apply for citizenship after 3yrs. We didn't expedite anything, I actually never receive my EAD card and our case status (ead and ap) is still showing case is received. So I think we skipped the ead altogether because we had the interview pretty fast. 

Also, our case officer/interviewer only asked us questions on the form or checklist like whats our full name, our address, birthdays and the yes/no questions. He didn't really ask any personal questions like where did we meet, when did we get married, etc.. After the general questions, he said he doesn't see any problems at all and he is giving us our 10yr GC and that's it. He also didn't ask for any other documents. I brought the entire copy of our AOS packet with me, brought more proof of relationship like house deed, bank statements and even made a 25 page photobook of our journey from beginning which he didnt even ask for or looked at. Does it sound okay? I'm so thankul but i'm also wondering and worrying why he never asked for anything and why it was so easy like that.  

Did anyone get a letter like this after their interview? And how long until you get your GC on hand? I just checked our case status online and it still hasn't changed from "Interview is Scheduled". 

IMG_2360.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

When we had our interview, I don't remember getting this form, but honestly, I wouldn't read too much into it.  The IO said they were recommending approval, and since you are already married more than 2yrs maybe he decided there was not a lot of reason to dig, or maybe this IO is just easy, who knows.

Regardless, Congrats!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

When we had our interview, I don't remember getting this form, but honestly, I wouldn't read too much into it.  The IO said they were recommending approval, and since you are already married more than 2yrs maybe he decided there was not a lot of reason to dig, or maybe this IO is just easy, who knows.

Regardless, Congrats!

Thank you! And yes, I was out of status for almost 2 years because we had a financial problem and we got pregnant as well so we decided to wait so I can stay home and raise the kids myself. That's actually the first question he asked to why we waited so long and when we told him our reasons he said he understand and it's a pretty good reason. That's why he gave us the 10yrs because he said we're married 2 yrs now. After telling us that we're approved, he gave us this letter for now as a "proof" that we are approved and that we had our interview and he also told us they'll mail out a leter of approval. But when we got home and I reread the letter thoroughly I was anxious because it states that we are still waiting for a final approval? (At least that's from my own understanding of the letter). My husband said no because if the IO had any doubts or saw any other discrepancies he wouldn't have checked the first box and went with the other ones instead. I guess I'm just making myself crazy lol. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Congrats!

Did you send a whole lot of evidence in with your AOS? The officer must have been satisfied with that and didn't feel the need to probe further, so you got an easy interview.

We sent in a huge packet for AOS, and then I'd also prepared a binder full of evidence since applying for AOS. The officer didn't ask for anything, and didn't ask us any substantive questions, either. (I was kind of mad because I'd spend so long putting that extra evidence together!!! :))

Timeline
4 minutes ago, AK_2014 said:

Congrats!

Did you send a whole lot of evidence in with your AOS? The officer must have been satisfied with that and didn't feel the need to probe further, so you got an easy interview.

We sent in a huge packet for AOS, and then I'd also prepared a binder full of evidence since applying for AOS. The officer didn't ask for anything, and didn't ask us any substantive questions, either. (I was kind of mad because I'd spend so long putting that extra evidence together!!! :))

Thank you! I frontloaded our AOS packet and put everything we needed there plus a LOT more that I think they'll need/want/ask for. I even put together a scrapbook of pics in our AOS packet. I'm the same way! I was sitting there thinking to please at least ask for pictures so I can show you the photobook I made that took me 3 sleepless nights to finish. LOL

4 minutes ago, jsj1992 said:

Thank you! I frontloaded our AOS packet and put everything we needed there plus a LOT more that I think they'll need/want/ask for. I even put together a scrapbook of pics in our AOS packet. I'm the same way! I was sitting there thinking to please at least ask for pictures so I can show you the photobook I made that took me 3 sleepless nights to finish. LOL

That's what it sounds like is that they reviewed everything before and just for formality interviewed you for whatever it's worth. It looks like they already had they mind made up to approve you and just wanted to double check everything in person, so don't worry. Also be thankful that you got an interview because on average approvals come faster with an interview than without one. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jordan8768 said:

Congrats! I had my interview recently and got approved, I had my GC exactly 1 week later. 

Thank you and congrats to you, too!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

That's what it sounds like is that they reviewed everything before and just for formality interviewed you for whatever it's worth. It looks like they already had they mind made up to approve you and just wanted to double check everything in person, so don't worry. Also be thankful that you got an interview because on average approvals come faster with an interview than without one. 

Thank you! That's what I think too, it's just my anxiety double thinking and doubting everything. But don't get me wrong, I am extremely thankful and grateful for the smooth and fast aos process that we had :) we submitted our aos packet july 5 and we had our interview yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, jsj1992 said:

Thank you! That's what I think too, it's just my anxiety double thinking and doubting everything. But don't get me wrong, I am extremely thankful and grateful for the smooth and fast aos process that we had :) we submitted our aos packet july 5 and we had our interview yesterday. 

You should be very thankful then that you had an interview so fast. It doesn't surprise me that you haven't gotten your EAD/AP yet because that usually takes about 4 months on average to receive that. 

Edit. Please fill out your timeline. 

Edited by cyberfx1024

I got my interview notice the day after I received my EAD approval notification‚ so all told I had my EAD for a little over a month before I got my green card.

I received the same form letter as you after our interview (Los Angeles) field office‚ but we were not approved on the spot. The "held for review" checkbox was selected on our letter and the IO said he saw no issues and we should hear within a few days.

I too had been out of status for many years and had field for AOS with my ex-wife but never completed the process due to divorce.

Anyway... I received approval notification the day after the interview.

PD = 1/17/17

Interview Date = 6/7/17

Approval email / texts = 6/8/17

I-130 approval (mailed copy) = 6/12 (status never changed online - nor has it to this day from the initial status) 

Card was mailed notification = 6/13/17

1-485 approval / welcome letter (mailed copy) = 6/13/17

10 Year Green Card (delivered) = 6/16

Start to finish = 150 days.

Hope this helps

Timeline
35 minutes ago, SteveE said:

I got my interview notice the day after I received my EAD approval notification‚ so all told I had my EAD for a little over a month before I got my green card.

I received the same form letter as you after our interview (Los Angeles) field office‚ but we were not approved on the spot. The "held for review" checkbox was selected on our letter and the IO said he saw no issues and we should hear within a few days.

I too had been out of status for many years and had field for AOS with my ex-wife but never completed the process due to divorce.

Anyway... I received approval notification the day after the interview.

PD = 1/17/17

Interview Date = 6/7/17

Approval email / texts = 6/8/17

I-130 approval (mailed copy) = 6/12 (status never changed online - nor has it to this day from the initial status) 

Card was mailed notification = 6/13/17

1-485 approval / welcome letter (mailed copy) = 6/13/17

10 Year Green Card (delivered) = 6/16

Start to finish = 150 days.

Hope this helps

Thank you!! Our timelines/case are very much alike. So if our IO checked the first box, it must mean we're approved and no further review is needed, right? I have never received any approval or update on my AP/EAD and case status still shows "case is received". 

Also, congrats to us both! After years of waiting, we're finally on the next step :) 

1 hour ago, jsj1992 said:

Thank you!! Our timelines/case are very much alike. So if our IO checked the first box, it must mean we're approved and no further review is needed, right? I have never received any approval or update on my AP/EAD and case status still shows "case is received". 

Also, congrats to us both! After years of waiting, we're finally on the next step :) 

I would assume so. I've read cases of people saying they were approved and the notification and updates being slow after that. Maybe that has to do with the field office‚ I have no idea.

All I know is we got the notice at the interview and received the updates the following day...

There were two sets of updates.

First one (6/8) stating card was in production‚ second one (6/9) saying case was approved. Kind of backwards in my opinion‚ but hey

6/8

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL *** 

There has been a recent processing action taken on your case. 

Receipt Number: MSC***

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS 

Your Case Status: Card/ Document Production 

6/9

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL *** 

There has been a recent processing action taken on your case. 

Receipt Number: MSC***

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS 

Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity 

On June 9, 2017, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS, Receipt Number MSC***. We will mail your approval notice. 

Edited by SteveE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
3 hours ago, jsj1992 said:

Better to have put in the work getting the materials together and not need them, than to have been thrown for a loop and not had them ready! And hey, maybe it'll be fun to look back at the scrapbook part of it down the road. :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.