Kate + Evgeny

Approved K1 Visa in Costa Rica, now over a week of administrative processing?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi, everyone.

Here is another question about the dreaded AP.

My fiance and I had our interview in the consulate in Costa Rica on the 25th of September and they told us we were approved. We were very happy about it. They gave us no extra paperwork, nothing about a 221g or anything. They only said "congratulations," and that the visa would be ready within about ten days. They kept his passport. Now our CEAC status has been "Administrative Processing" since the 26th. The "Case Last Updated" date got changed on the 28th and then again the 29th, but there has still been no change in status as of now (October 3rd), and still says "Immigrant Visa." :(  We heard from a friend that they got their visa (a different one though, a visitor's visa) within two days. Maybe we're jumping the gun here, but we are getting concerned now that this could be a bad sign. We don't have a place to live here past the 25th of this month (unrelated to this visa, actually -- just somebody else moving in) and we need to know how serious this might be and how much we should consider planning for having to stay in CR a lot longer.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Kate and Evgeny

AP usually takes days, sometimes weeks, rarely months, and very rarely years. It's been 1 week for you, which isn't anything of concern. Tourist visas and immigrant visas (or at least those handled by the immigrant visa unit like a K-1) are processed by different units within the embassy, so I wouldn't compare times there. It's not a bad sign...it's just processing.

Keep in mind Monday (Oct. 9th) is a federal US holiday, so the embassy is probably closed.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It happend to us too they told us everything  is fine and they kept his passport  after 4 days they sent us email saying our case was refused and sent back to USCIS 

I hope everything  goes well  with you I'm not trying  to get u worried or anything  . I'm saying our experience  .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
17 minutes ago, geowrian said:

AP usually takes days, sometimes weeks, rarely months, and very rarely years. It's been 1 week for you, which isn't anything of concern. Tourist visas and immigrant visas (or at least those handled by the immigrant visa unit like a K-1) are processed by different units within the embassy, so I wouldn't compare times there. It's not a bad sign...it's just processing.

Keep in mind Monday (Oct. 9th) is a federal US holiday, so the embassy is probably closed.

Thank you so much for your response, Geowrian! It is very good information, and we really appreciate your reassurance. Nice to talk to you again since the December Filers' thread, by the way! We hope you have been doing well!!

13 minutes ago, Coly said:

It happend to us too they told us everything  is fine and they kept his passport  after 4 days they sent us email saying our case was refused and sent back to USCIS 

I hope everything  goes well  with you I'm not trying  to get u worried or anything  . I'm saying our experience  .

We are so sorry to hear about your experience, Coly. Have you heard anything more about it since they sent it back to the USCIS? Are there other options for you at this point, like a waiver? We hope you find something that helps you with this situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Try contacting the embassy through email or phone . My fiancé’s visa was in ap for almost 4 weeks and after I emailed them a 3 days later I heard their actual decision . If it was approved I wouldn’t worry about him obtaining the visa but you might have to contact them you never know you might have to remind them about your case . Best of luck with everything . 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.