ms11

Fiance Visa - K1 Questions HELP!! :(

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, EG&XY said:

This is incorrect. There is no requirement to submit pictures.

The requirement is to prove that you have physically been together in the same place within the last 2 years. Pictures are actually very weak proof. Things such as rental contracts, receipts, plane tickets, etc are much better evidence and pictures can help support those.

Pictures are recommended, but they only act as secondary supporting evidence to the other things that you provide.

You're right (and very technical). I should not have said that pictures were a requirement, what I meant was proof of having met is the requirement and the majority of applicants use pictures to do so. However, pictures are not "weak proof" of having met as you say. Even if they are supplementary evidence, it is still widely regarded as a necessity and an application without pictures might not go over well, so let's not encourage people to not include pictures. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

You're right (and very technical). I should not have said that pictures were a requirement, what I meant was proof of having met is the requirement and the majority of applicants use pictures to do so. However, pictures are not "weak proof" of having met as you say. Even if they are supplementary evidence, it is still widely regarded as a necessity and an application without pictures might not go over well, so let's not encourage people to not include pictures. 

It's not that I'm being very technical, what you said was factually incorrect. You stated it as a fact, and it was incorrect.

And pictures are in fact consodered to be weaker proof than the other forms of evidence. There is no way for the officer reviewing them to know for sure when it was taken. However the other forms of evidence would contain dates that actuall demonstrate when the even occurred.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Timeline
7 minutes ago, EG&XY said:

It's not that I'm being very technical, what you said was factually incorrect. You stated it as a fact, and it was incorrect.

And pictures are in fact consodered to be weaker proof than the other forms of evidence. There is no way for the officer reviewing them to know for sure when it was taken. However the other forms of evidence would contain dates that actuall demonstrate when the even occurred.

That's not true. I included pictures from trips that were taken at events (for example we took one of those tourist pictures while visiting a city) and they provided us with a receipt with the date on it. This confirmed both the date and location. Also, I provided text logs that were dated and showed when I sent the pictures (taken on my phone) to my fiancé. The bottom line is pictures, while not technically a requirement, should absolutely be included if possible. The requirement is proof you have met in the last two years. Just because someone got on a plane doesn't mean they actually met their beneficiary face to face. A picture of the meeting will prove that, and therefore can be considered a requirement. 

Edited by Mrsjackson

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

That's not true. I included pictures from trips that were taken at events (for example we took one of those tourist pictures while visiting a city) and they provided us with a receipt with the date on it. This confirmed both the date and location. Also, I provided text logs that were dated and showed when I sent the pictures (taken on my phone) to my fiancé. The bottom line is pictures, while not technically a requirement, should absolutely be included if possible. The requirement is proof you have met in the last two years. Just because someone got on a plane doesn't mean they actually met their beneficiary face to face. A picture of the meeting will prove that, and therefore can be considered a requirement. 

Sure, that is fine, but 99% of the time those are not the types of pictures that people are talking about on here. And you are reinforcing my point that it is the receipt that matters, not necessarily any old picture of the two of you together. You could have had a hotel receipt with both of your names on it. Or plane/train tickets showing that you were on the plane/train together. As I stated, just providing a picture of the two of you together is not sufficient, it is the other documentation that is the stronger proof. And yes, I agree, photos should be included; however, you really need the other evidence as it is stronger proof of the dates, times, etc.

Similar to the picture argument is that some people think that having a baby together is sufficient proof of a bonafide relationship. It is not, it only proves that you were together one time and that your reproductive organs worked. There are plenty of people who can't or choose not to have children, and they still have bonafide relationships.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Timeline
3 minutes ago, EG&XY said:

Sure, that is fine, but 99% of the time those are not the types of pictures that people are talking about on here. And you are reinforcing my point that it is the receipt that matters, not necessarily any old picture of the two of you together. You could have had a hotel receipt with both of your names on it. Or plane/train tickets showing that you were on the plane/train together. As I stated, just providing a picture of the two of you together is not sufficient, it is the other documentation that is the stronger proof. And yes, I agree, photos should be included; however, you really need the other evidence as it is stronger proof of the dates, times, etc.

Similar to the picture argument is that some people think that having a baby together is sufficient proof of a bonafide relationship. It is not, it only proves that you were together one time and that your reproductive organs worked. There are plenty of people who can't or choose not to have children, and they still have bonafide relationships.

I never said receipts don't matter. They matter a great deal. I said that pictures are not considered "weaker proof". Pictures on their own without any other evidence may make for a weak application, just like only including a boarding pass and evidence of a trip alone without pictures would make for a weaker application. Various forms of evidence work in conjunction here to create a strong application. One form is not weaker than the other. 

58 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

However, pictures are not "weak proof" of having met as you say. Even if they are supplementary evidence, it is still widely regarded as a necessity and an application without pictures might not go over well, so let's not encourage people to not include pictures. 

Photos are secondary evidence of having met at least once within the past 2 years. By themselves, they don't meet the requirement in most cases. In conjunction with other evidence, they are useful.

I don't think anybody was encouraging to not send any photos...just pointing out that photos are not a technical requirement. Personally, because I am aware of USEM's processes, I only included one photo of us...and I 100% believe it didn't do anything meaningful for our case. We were approved for the I-129F and K-1 fine. For certain other embassies, doing this is fine for the I-129F but is otherwise visa suicide.

48 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

That's not true. I included pictures from trips that were taken at events (for example we took one of those tourist pictures while visiting a city) and they provided us with a receipt with the date on it. This confirmed both the date and location. Also, I provided text logs that were dated and showed when I sent the pictures (taken on my phone) to my fiancé. The bottom line is pictures, while not technically a requirement, should absolutely be included if possible.

Exactly - the photos corroborated the primary evidence (the dated receipt), which is very good.

The text logs likely yielded little to no consideration for this requirement.

Yeah, some photos are good to include...although what you should do is very different from a requirement.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Photos are secondary evidence of having met at least once within the past 2 years. By themselves, they don't meet the requirement in most cases. In conjunction with other evidence, they are useful.

I don't think anybody was encouraging to not send any photos...just pointing out that photos are not a technical requirement. Personally, because I am aware of USEM's processes, I only included one photo of us...and I 100% believe it didn't do anything meaningful for our case. We were approved for the I-129F and K-1 fine. For certain other embassies, doing this is fine for the I-129F but is otherwise visa suicide.

Exactly - the photos corroborated the primary evidence (the dated receipt), which is very good.

The text logs likely yielded little to no consideration for this requirement.

Yeah, some photos are good to include...although what you should do is very different from a requirement.

"In conjunction with other evidence, they are useful". That's exactly what I just said. I have already stated that they are indeed not a technical requirement. 

Unless you were told by USCIS what helped your case and why it was ultimately approved (highly doubt it), you really have no way of knowing for sure what helped you and what was meaningful to who was reviewing your case. What you think doesn't really matter. What you know to be a fact does. Same goes for your statement about the text logs. Are you the officer reviewing my application? If not, how can you make statements about what is going to be considered and what isn't? 

It might not be actively encouraging people to not include photos by calling them "weaker proof", but it's about people's perception. Someone might read that and think "oh I don't have to bother with photos then since it's a weaker form of evidence" and that's not a good thing. Wording can be misinterpreted, especially if someone's first language is not English (and this is a site with visitors from many different countries). 

What you should do and what is required are clearly two different things, yes? 

Edited by Mrsjackson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.