Stef990

Passport; no birth certificate??

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi 

I'm seeking help for my passport application.  I filed it with my local post office around 2-3weeks ago.  I just got a letter in today from the state department requesting US citizenship certificate or birth certificate, which I don't have either.   My main reason for applying for a passport was to get proof of my citizenship.  I am now in my late 20s, both of my parents received their naturalization before I was the age of 18.   

I've sent both my parent's naturalization certificate and my expired green card along with my passport application, which we figured would be enough for proof.  Apparently not.  

Obtaining my birth certificate at this point would be way too much trouble, as I was born in Thailand.  

Is there a secondary form of documents I can provide to help process my application? 

I've thought about the idea of applying for n-600 (citizenship certificate), but looks like I will still need my birth certificate for that as well? 

So, I have 90 days to provide additional information or my application will be forfeited with out refund...:( 

Help! 

Edited by Stef990

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Stef990 said:

I just got a letter in today from the state department requesting US citizenship certificate or birth certificate, which I don't have either. 

1 hour ago, Stef990 said:

Is there a secondary form of documents I can provide to help process my application?

If the State Dept.is requesting specific forms of documents, they will only accept the options specified in the letter you receive, most likely.  Proof of citizenship is required to obtain a US passport....not the other way around.

Is there  not a birth registrar in Thailand where you can obtain a copy of your birth certificate?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

6 minutes ago, Going through said:

Is there  not a birth registrar in Thailand where you can obtain a copy of your birth certificate?

I'm under the impression OP says it's pointless to get the Thai birth certificate because it doesn't prove U.S. citizenship.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, jxn said:

I'm under the impression OP says it's pointless to get the Thai birth certificate because it doesn't prove U.S. citizenship.

I don't know anything about information listed on Thailand birth certificates---but I assumed if it lists both parents, and the name of the child---that would prove the OP was the applicant in question, and match the names on the parents' naturalization certificates.  That's what they need to see as proof right now, since he doesn't have his own naturalization certificate.

I am under the impression the OP thinks it's hard/"way too much trouble" to get the birth certificate from out of the country....only because he/she didn't say it was "pointless" based on lack of information on the birth certificate...but "pointless" because it would be "too much trouble" to get.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

If the State Dept.is requesting specific forms of documents, they will only accept the options specified in the letter you receive, most likely.  Proof of citizenship is required to obtain a US passport....not the other way around.

Actually, a passport can be used to show proof of citizenship.  My problem is getting approved.  I'm just confused, as I was I given a green card prior without a birth certificate?  Our family entered the US as refugees.  Even though, I wasn't born in the US, I've basically been here my whole life.  I'm just saying obtaining a birth certificate seems troublesome, as I'm not very fluent in Thai.  Plus locating the exact hospital where I was born can be tough.  I'm not sure how well they maintain records in Thailand, I'm betting it's not very good especially in the 80s.  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Stef990 said:

Actually, a passport can be used to show proof of citizenship.

Yes....AFTER you show proof of citizenship to obtain one.  You can then use a passport as proof of citizenship for other purposes.

However, you cannot get a US passport without first proving you are a US citizen.

Edited by Going through

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Stef990 said:

I'm just saying obtaining a birth certificate seems troublesome, as I'm not very fluent in Thai.

Perhaps your parents can help you with this part then---if they are fluent in the language?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Stef990 said:

I'm just confused, as I was I given a green card prior without a birth certificate?  Our family entered the US as refugees.

This would have been the reason why your birth certificate was not a required document in getting your GC. :) 

Unfortunately there's really no way around submitting the documentation the State Department is asking for.  When you filled out the passport application it stated clearly what was needed as required evidence to submit with the application in terns of proof of citizenship...

Edited by Going through

Timeline
1 minute ago, Going through said:

Yes....AFTER you show proof of citizenship to obtain one.  You cannot get a US passport without first proving you are a US citizen.

Yes, I understand that part. Which is why I included my parent's certificates.  In fact, I lost $600 after applying and passing my interview and test for naturalization just to be told I'm a citizen already!  This was a few years ago.  The lady who conducted my interview told me it was cheaper to get a passport than a certificate ($1200us).   Oddly enough, I didn't think to question her further or do anything about it until now.  And, of course, any payment to the state department is no refund.  

"Under current law, children under 18 automatically acquire U.S. citizenship ifthree requirements are met. The child must have U.S. lawful permanent resident status (“green card” holder). At least one parentmust be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization."

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Stef990 said:

"Under current law, children under 18 automatically acquire U.S. citizenship ifthree requirements are met. The child must have U.S. lawful permanent resident status (“green card” holder). At least one parentmust be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization."

Yes you are a citizen of the US----I was never arguing that fact.

Having proof of that citizenship, though, is a different matter---that's what you don't have right now to submit for the passport application.

Including your parents naturalization certificates in your passport application doesn't prove that YOU are also a naturalized citizen.  Because there is no proof given to the passport office that YOU are your parent's child---which is what the birth certificate would prove, which is why they are now asking for it---do you understand what I'm trying to get at?

Edited by Going through

Timeline

From the passport application form:

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

• Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate
  • Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  • Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  • Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  • Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth
    • Certified court order of legitimation 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Going through said:

Yes you are a citizen of the US----I was never arguing that fact.

Having proof of that citizenship, though, is a different matter---that's what you don't have right now to submit for the passport application.

Including your parents naturalization certificates in your passport application doesn't prove that YOU are also a naturalized citizen.  Because there is no proof given to the passport office that YOU are your parent's child---which is what the birth certificate would prove, which is why they are now asking for it---do you understand what I'm trying to get at?

Yes, I just don't see why they can't work together with USCIS to get that info.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Stef990 said:

Yes, I just don't see why they can't work together with USCIS to get that info.  

Because they are two separate government agencies.  

In a perfect world, it would be nice though.

Edited by Going through

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 9/5/2017 at 6:04 PM, Stef990 said:

I'm just saying obtaining a birth certificate seems troublesome, as I'm not very fluent in Thai.  Plus locating the exact hospital where I was born can be tough.  I'm not sure how well they maintain records in Thailand, I'm betting it's not very good especially in the 80s.  

Give Thailand a chance before you decide it's going to be too hard. Ask your parents to help you make the request. It's not a bad thing to have your birth certificate anyway. 

Me: F1 to OPT to H1-B to Conditional Greencard to Greencard to US Citizen
Him: Born a US Citizen
We met and fell in love.

Family-Based Adjustment of Status from within US
Nov 8, 2012: Married
Dec 4, 2012: Sent petition to Chicago lockbox by USPS Priority Mail
Dec 6, 2012: USPS Delivery Confirmation shows application arrived at Chicago lockbox
Dec 7, 2012: "Received Date" listed on paper NOA1s
Dec 11 2012: E-mail and text NOA1s for I-485, I-765, I-131, I-130 received
Dec 12, 2012: Checks for I-130 and I-485 cashed by USCIS
Dec 14, 2012: Paper NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-30 received by mail
Dec 24, 2012: Paper NOA1 for I-131 received by mail
Dec 24, 2012: Biometrics appointment notice (dated Dec 14, 2012) received by mail showing appointment scheduled for Jan 4, 2012 at ASC in Syracuse, NY
Dec 27, 2012: Walk-in biometrics completed at Pico/Fairfax ASC in Los Angeles, CA
Jan 8, 2013: Request for initial interview (dated Jan 3, 2013) received by mail
Feb 7, 2013: Interview date at Albany, NY field office. Greencard approved at interview! 62 days after initial receipt of application at Chicago.

Feb/Mar sometime: Received greencard in the mail. I can't remember the exact date, I have blocked it out as it was so traumatizing. It was just my luck that the USPS had some kind of substitute postal worker on duty the day my greencard arrived. For some reason that's never been explained to me, he didn't deliver my greencard and instead it got placed back into the postal system. We pushed the postmaster to find it and it was eventually found and hand-delivered by the postmaster to our house about two weeks later. The longest two weeks of my life!

Removal of Conditions

Nov 24, 2014: Sent I-751 to California Service Center by USPS Priority Mail

Nov 25, 2014: USPS Delivery Confirmation shows application arrived at California Service Center

Dec 5, 2014: Paper NOA1 for I-751 received by mail

Jan 5, 2015: Biometrics completed at Pico/Fairfax ASC in Los Angeles, CA

May 4, 2015: Date of decision on removal of conditions (approved)

May 7, 2015: Paper NOA2 for I-751 received by mail indicating removal of conditions had been approved

Naturalization

Jan 18, 2017: Sent N-400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox by USPS Express Mail

Jan 19, 2017: USPS Delivery Confirmation shows application arrived at Phoenix, AZ

Jan 24, 2017: Paper NOA1 notice date

Feb 13, 2017: Walk-in biometrics completed at ASC in Los Angeles, CA

Jun 09, 2017: Paper NOA2 for interview schedule

Jul 11, 2017: Naturalization Interview. Result: Recommended for approval. 

Jul 12, 2017: Received email and text notification that my oath ceremony had been scheduled.

Jul 14, 2017: Received N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony 

Jul 18, 2017: Oath Ceremony completed and certificate of citizenship received. 

182 days or about 6 months from filing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Trip to the nearest Thai embassy would be your first step. I am sure your parents know what hospital you were born in.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.