PrincyE

How long does an approved K1 VISA administrative processing last?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Our K1 visa has been on administrative processing and we were approved 2 weeks ago at the interview. Ive heard it can stay like this for months. If our K1 expires by then do we have to reapply all over again ? 

The embassy will extend the I-129F validity while your K-1 application stays in AP. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If your application stays in your country while you are undergoing administrative processing it will still be valid. If they return it to the US, then yes it is expired and no longer valid. 

My recommendation is for the USC to contact their congressman if you are on AP over 30 days, esp if it's past your expiration date. Our congressman representative was able to get information about our status every 30 days. Our visa was returned to the US after 14 weeks and allowed to expire. USCIS never contacted us so without the congressman representative we would not hsve known. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
44 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

If your application stays in your country while you are undergoing administrative processing it will still be valid. If they return it to the US, then yes it is expired and no longer valid. 

My recommendation is for the USC to contact their congressman if you are on AP over 30 days, esp if it's past your expiration date. Our congressman representative was able to get information about our status every 30 days. Our visa was returned to the US after 14 weeks and allowed to expire. USCIS never contacted us so without the congressman representative we would not hsve known. 

After they approved you they sent it back ? That's just crazy. I wonder why approve people then return it. Did you get your passport back ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, PrincyE said:

After they approved you they sent it back ? That's just crazy. I wonder why approve people then return it. Did you get your passport back ?

My bad. I didn't see your Approved k1 AP. No he wasn't approved just put on AP. They did not take his passport. If you were approved at least you know sooner or later you will get here. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, PrincyE said:

Our K1 visa has been on administrative processing and we were approved 2 weeks ago at the interview. Ive heard it can stay like this for months. If our K1 expires by then do we have to reapply all over again ? 

No one can really tell you how long AP will take since every case is different. Some visas are ready in the two week projected time line. Other take a little longer to process. (Just remember not to book your fiance's airline ticket until his visa is in hand for this very reason.) 

Don't worry about the K1 expires. It often takes longer to go through this process then the K1 validity. The embassy will simply extended. They do it all the time. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.