IAMX

Milo set to spend ‘hundreds of thousands’ on security for Berkeley event; invited to speak at CSU Fullerton

72 posts in this topic

Timeline

Milo Yiannopoulos is slated to headline University of California, Berkeley’s “Free Speech Week” event, but that’s not without massive backlash, of course. The firebrand, self-proclaimed provocateur has pledged that he will spend “hundreds of thousands of dollars” on security to prevent the event from being overrun with protesters.

Yiannopoulos told Campus Reform that he is “prepared to spend whatever it takes.”

The university has pledged to hold a “free speech year” in response to those who violently protest speakers on campus. The administration, however, has come up against significant pressure to tighten the reins on the upcoming free speech events.

“I’m very concerned about Milo Yiannopoulos and Ann Coulter and some of these other right-wing speakers coming to the Berkeley campus,” Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin told The San Francisco Chronicle. “It’s just a target for black bloc to come out and commit mayhem on the Berkeley campus and have it potentially spill out on the street.”

“We don’t want the moral, psychological and fiscal expense of having these agents of hate coming to our town,” Berkeley City Councilman Ben Bartlett told The Los Angeles Times. “We know the contest of ideas is at the very heart of freedom, but at the same time when the ideas are certain to cause bloodshed I’m inclined to err on the side of protecting the population, and I say that with a heavy heart.”

https://www.turningpoint.news/thousands-security-berkeley-event/

Of course, the place might wind up a zoo full of BLM and Antifa protesters, yet again, shutting down other people from expressing anything they don't agree with.

If he was crowdfunding I wish he would have got out the word sooner, I'll gladly donate. 

UC Berkeley isn’t the only California academic institution bracing for a torrent of controversy when former Breitbart editor Milo Yiannopoulos comes to campus this fall.

Cal State Fullerton’s chapter of the College Republicans is finalizing plans to host the conservative lightning rod at a Halloween speaking engagement.

“At this point, it’s pretty much a done deal. We’re just formalizing it,” said senior Christopher Boyle, the group’s president emeritus.

“It’s really just the fine details — things like how the room will be set up — that’s holding it back,” he said.

Boyle said the organization, which he restarted last year and now has 40 members, first reached out to Yiannopoulos’ manager in June.

The Halloween appearance is being opposed by another group of students, who say Yiannopoulos is a purveyor of hate speech. They have started a change.org petition in opposition to the event. It has gained nearly 3,800 supporters.

“We call on admin to block any attempts to bring these hateful leaders to campus. … Hate speech to incite violence and threaten the lives of students is not the same as free speech of diverse opinions,” the petition from the Students for Quality Education reads.

Yiannopoulos is currently arranging a number of cross-country speaking engagements that he calls his “Troll Academy tour.” He would not say for certain whether Fullerton was on the list.

In a text to a Los Angeles Times reporter, he said “Naturally, I’ll be visiting a lot of colleges in California. It’s the craziest state of all. We will be announcing our tour dates soon.”

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-milo-fullerton-20170831-story.html

The link to the petition is in that last quote, I'd advise reading it just to laugh, especially at their mental gymnastics of how they label things. :lol:

They better prep security for this event too. Prep the crowdfunding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

"a zoofull of BLM" 

Nothing racist there

Bannana full would of course be racist.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, IAMX said:

We'll pretend Antifa is full of black people.

More evidence of how far down the intellectual toilet Alt-Righters are.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

More evidence of how far down the intellectual toilet Alt-Righters are.

Agreed, just look at all those blacks:

18antifa-02-1503000027028-master675.jpg

More blacks:

antifa.jpg

Look at all those white peop-- I mean, black clothes!

Clearly everything leftist is black.

tfw there's not a crutch big enough to scare people off from challenging your views.

Edited by IAMX

Timeline
11 minutes ago, IAMX said:

Agreed, just look at all those blacks:

18antifa-02-1503000027028-master675.jpg

More blacks:

antifa.jpg

Look at all those white peop-- I mean, black clothes!

Clearly everything leftist is black.

tfw there's not a crutch big enough to scare people off from challenging your views.

My views are not the topic, the fact that some lack the common sense to NOT label  a predominately Black organization with the collective noun of "Zoofull" is the topic. 

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Filed: Timeline

That has got to be the SWEETEST attempt of turning nothing into something that I have ever witnessed on here thus far!  You get an "E" for effort at twisting.  That is all.  *SMH*.  Reported for misquoting another member.

1 hour ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

"a zoofull of BLM" 

Nothing racist there

4 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

My views are not the topic, the fact that some lack the common sense to NOT label  a predominately Black organization with the collective noun of "Zoofull" is the topic. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

That has got to be the SWEETEST attempt of turning nothing into something that I have ever witnessed on here thus far!  You get an "E" for effort at twisting.  That is all.  *SMH*.  Reported for misquoting another member.

CEHST would be boring if not for the colorful characters, even if they imagine the colors. :lol:

Timeline
36 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

Misquoted how ?What...

What a should be reported is the offensive nature of the commentary in the first post

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline

It seems leftists have a lot to learn about whats protected under speech..

I know hate speech is protected by the First Amendment.

But there are exceptions to protected speech — such as speech that is “inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action,” as the Court ruled in 1969 in the landmark free speech case Brandenburg vs. Ohio.

The question is: Does speech delivered by the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos and other provocateurs incite violence?

Yes, it does.

Is that speech likely to produce lawless action?

Yes, it is.

In fact, Yiannopoulos thrives on delivering hateful and spiteful commentary designed to provoke and anger the masses on both sides — whether he bashes on immigrants, gays or other historically oppressed groups in society.

So, why does the student group calling itself the Berkeley Patriot insist on inviting Yiannopoulos to UC Berkeley for their so-called Free Speech Week events?

Bryce Kasamoto, a spokesman for the Berkeley Patriot, said the group believes it can “host an event that’s going to be healthy, productive, but most importantly safe for everybody to engage in political communications.”

“Not all of us do agree with the points that Milo speaks, and a lot of us don’t call ourselves supporters of Milo, because we do understand a lot of his language can be interpreted as hate speech,” Kasamoto said. “With that in mind, however, all of us do firmly believe in our First Amendment right.”

Clearly, with Yiannopoulos headlining, their event isn’t really about the free expression of ideas and alternative viewpoints.

No, “Free Speech Week” is a publicity stunt for Yiannopolous, a marketing tactic so he can add wattage to his dimming star. Without confrontation and provocation, what does he have?

So let’s stop the pretending that this is about free speech.

Because what we’re looking at is an invitation to violence. People get injured, and I’ve often said it was just a matter of time before someone dies. It happened in Charlottesville.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Berkeley-event-isn-t-really-about-free-speech-12165508.php

For all these years, no one bought the argument that trashing "Jesus", or pissing off Christians by making fun of them, their deity, messiah, etc., and inciting them to violence, excused the Christians' violent behavior in response, nor was the onus on the person speaking to prevent violence from people who think violence is a way to deal with people who offend them. But now that its snow season and Trump is President, all logic goes out the window for emotion. #UnstablePeople

Hate to break it to the Chronicle but hate speech and every single speech that offends leftists are very much protected by the Constitution, just as they protected leftists from all the years of offending everyone else. This sudden change is overt attempts to capitalize on excessive sensitivity of recent years and effectively undermine the Constitution for the sake of giving whiny people their way.

Edited by IAMX

Timeline

Like everything else about Milo, 99.7% bullpuckey. He does not have access to  100s of thousands of other people's money to spend on security. This event is not happening.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
2 hours ago, jg121783 said:

Milo is a white supremacist and a homophobe. Antifa should go show him what happens to Nazis.

I hear that gay people can't be conservative, and this concept really makes the left mad and prompts them to go on a witch hunt (i.e. what happens to black people when they get off the leftist plantation).

What's funny is this guy is likely way more conservative than me.

Edited by IAMX