HAN34

Working with expired SSN

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello everyone;

I have a problem and it's bothering me so much.  I was in US last summer(2016) with work and travel program. With this program I got my SSN number. I'm K1 visa holder now(2017) and waiting for my EAD card. But i'm also working in US now with my SSN number from last summer. When I got back to country I waited 2 months without working somewhere. But I had to start work and earn money. When I asked some people they said nothing will happen you are legal here and SSN is enough to work. But yesterday I met with someone and he said do not work without work permit and using the old SSN. He also said It's red flag right away and they will sent you back to your country. I'm stuck on this and I need to hear If someone has a experience or knowledge. 

Thank you!!

20 minutes ago, HAN34 said:

Hello everyone;

I have a problem and it's bothering me so much.  I was in US last summer(2016) with work and travel program. With this program I got my SSN number. I'm K1 visa holder now(2017) and waiting for my EAD card. But i'm also working in US now with my SSN number from last summer. When I got back to country I waited 2 months without working somewhere. But I had to start work and earn money. When I asked some people they said nothing will happen you are legal here and SSN is enough to work. But yesterday I met with someone and he said do not work without work permit and using the old SSN. He also said It's red flag right away and they will sent you back to your country. I'm stuck on this and I need to hear If someone has a experience or knowledge. 

Thank you!!

You're currently not authorized to work. It's more of a problem for your employer.   

Bolded part: your sponsor should take care of you, you are not allowed to work.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

You're currently not authorized to work. It's more of a problem for your employer.   

Bolded part: your sponsor should take care of you, you are not allowed to work.

I know I can't work without EAD and you are right about sponsor. But it looks like I will not take my EAD for a long time because when i check the case status on uscis website it says "On August 1, we sent to you I-765 and post offcie couldn't deliver it and notice returned back to uscis." But I got that fingerprints mail for I-765 and the appointment was for 14 August. I went uscis office and give the fingerprints. It still says same thing. I called uscis and told them about this situation they said wait for 75 days and then call us if nothing changed. So i'm thinking that it will probably be like I will wait 75 days and call them and they will reprocess it then wait 3 months more. Anyway If I will quit, will it change something? I mean i got 2 paychecks already, If I won't be in trouble I want to quit immediately. 

SSNs don't expire...they are issued for life. You don't have a current work authorization, so you should not be working. Whoever said an SSN is enough to work was completely mistaken.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

If it was important that you could start working as soon as you entered the US then you should've gone for the CR-1 visa and not the K-1 visa. Everyone who decides to go for a K-1 visa has to be aware that you won't be allowed to legally work in the US until you receive your EAD. That's something you should have thought about before choosing visa.

This might even be an issue at your AOS interview if you'll have one. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Scandi said:

If it was important that you could start working as soon as you entered the US then you should've gone for the CR-1 visa and not the K-1 visa. Everyone who decides to go for a K-1 visa has to be aware that you won't be allowed to legally work in the US until you receive your EAD. That's something you should have thought about before choosing visa.

This might even be an issue at your AOS interview if you'll have one. 

Thank you for answering. I came with 6000$ I was planning to get married and live 3 months with this money or 4. but we couldn't get married until 20 day before my visa expires. And I was already spend so much. Things didn't go like what I planned. Now I don't want and problem because I spend so much time for being where I am now and I can't waste it because of money. if I will quit, still I'm in trouble because I worked once? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.