Larry & Mira

St. Luke Manila Spectrum Test / TB odds

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance and I were so shocked her son passed medical but they are forcing her to do 3 day spectrum test. Saying they seen something on x-ray.

How many can afford such extended stay and the fear of a positive result is horrendous. That could mean 7 more months delay and unreal cost and time, yes it will save her life which money and time can not repay. My question is I wonder if anyone knows the odds there at St Lukes of those having TB and those who dont after testing? My horror is everyone in this world is out for money. Wondering if this is also part of their refusal rates?

thanks Larry&Mira

Timeline

If God forbid she gets positive TB test. How can the working middle class afford to house her and son in Manila for 7 months? Plus her 12 year old son needs to be in school? This delay has already affected his school .

And can she get TB treatment at home in Magpet  and use certificate of completion and take for yet another medical exam at $300.00 more total of some $1.000.00 just for St. Luke medical alone. And then if Visa expires yet hundreds of dollars more and time. 

How horrible the money and time and such just for 2 people who love each other to be together. And all I needed was a passport to come there. 

Those who pray please pray for negative results for Mira and my prayers to those going thru this with me.

I understand that TB kills but if Mira's son passed TB she should also, being they live together . And she has NO SIGNS OF TB ? The xray could be a flaw or prior lung damage from a simple cause.

Keep us in prayer as I do others. And please help give us input on all of this. lodging etc.

Thanks , Larry& Mira 

46 minutes ago, Larrylpsr1959 said:

The xray could be a flaw or prior lung damage from a simple cause.

Exactly. It could be nothing at all. The point is that's not a risk anyone wants to take. As you have a child, I'm sure you'd be one of the first to complain if this country was letting immigrants in who potentially had TB. We can't be too careful with these matters. I don't know what you mean about the costs. How did she cope before you came onto the scene?

If the news is bad and she has TB then she will have to have the treatment for two reasons - immigration and her survival. What's a few more months when you've got the rest of your lives together? Our visa journey took over two years because my husband was initially denied a U.K. spouse visa to live with me in the U.K. and we then spent a year in the CR-1 process. It didn't kill us. If your love is genuine you will cope with a longer-than-planned separation. 

Don't stress over things that are out of your control and you cannot change. Focus on the things that ARE in your control. Leave the rest to the gods. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

We have been also going thru the visa process over a year now , and a year prior my visit to the philippines took a year, so over 2 years. I have not tested for TB until her results in 2 months are known.

And I wonder how the average man can ever afford the thousands and thousands needed just to bring his LOVE to America ?   I think as the good book states " Money is the Root of ALL Evil.  

I do understand the reasoning of TB awareness etc, but I also am aware of every one involved with the Visa process always involves MONEY MONEY MONEY, Including St. Lukes.

And my fiance lives at home in Magpet with her mother who had  stroke and lost her job of 22 years , her stroke was just a few months after my fiances Dad wa killed in his place of business, being as both incomes are gone , I have been her and son support. So  to answer your question where was she before me there it is.

Who knows the negative and positive rate of those having TB test at St Luke ? 

Thanks, Larry/ Mira

1 hour ago, Larry & Mira said:

We have been also going thru the visa process over a year now , and a year prior my visit to the philippines took a year, so over 2 years. I have not tested for TB until her results in 2 months are known. I'm not sure what you meant here so I can't reply in kind.

And I wonder how the average man can ever afford the thousands and thousands needed just to bring his LOVE to America ?   I think as the good book states " Money not used wisely is the Root of ALL Evil.  

I do understand the reasoning of TB awareness etc, but I also am aware of every one involved with the Visa process always involves MONEY MONEY MONEY, Including St. Lukes.

And my fiance lives at home in Magpet with her mother who had  stroke and lost her job of 22 years , her stroke was just a few months after my fiances Dad wa killed in his place of business, being as both incomes are gone , I have been her and son support. So  to answer your question where was she before me there it is.

Who knows the negative and positive rate of those having TB test at St Luke ? 

Thanks, Larry/ Mira

I don't sugar coat things.  So here goes.  First of all if the "regular guy"  can't afford to take the Visa Journey then I suggest they get off the bus.  Yes it can be expensive. The first thing I did was ask an "expert" what the journey was going to cost and then I multiplied it by 3 as I was going to bring all three to the USA. Once I knew the cost then it WAS ME who made the decision. The government, the embassy, NVC and surely not USCIS made me apply for a visa for my wife. 

TB KILLS.  Yes that is a fact. SLEC has the best equipment and the best lab to test the samples with. Rarely to they make a mistake. But to answer your questions yes she can do it locally but there are strings attached. Here is the official word that was received from SLEC on this topic.

"If both the smear and MTB culture test revealed positive result, applicant will be required to undergo treatment here in our facility, if you decided to have the treatment done in the province, a repeat medical exam will be required, but you will have to wait 1 year after treatment outside is completed. This means that, applicant has to wait an additional 1 year after the end of acceptable TB treatment before doing the repeat medical examination."

So there is your answer 6 months and get it over with through SLEC or do it in the province and face the reality of a very long journey.

Yes the journey involves "money, money and more money" and it won't end once you have your visa. You still have AO$ and then your 10 year GC, and then naturalization. Everyone involved has a job to do. Just like you have a job you go to. You go to the job to do hopefully what you enjoy and get paid for it. They are no different then you. So have some compassion for the monetary requirements of the journey.

"Who knows the negative and positive rate of those having TB test at St Luke ?" They do not publish those numbers. I have been here long enough to see that there is a good amount who are negative :thumbs:but for those that are positive they lived to be with "their family" or start one because TB was caught and cured. :)

Here are some links if you care to learn more. 

https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/default.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/faqs/default.htm

I hope each and everyone of you pass the medical with no problems. Try and control what you can control and that which is out of your control, let the experts or the man upstairs do what they know. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Hey I just completed the 2 month sputum test last Thursday. My culture test came back clear. The wait was nerve wracking.

The US government has their citizens' interest in mind thus the very a meticulous process. Unfortunately, the Philippines is in the top 10 countries with high incidents of TB and TB remains in the top 10 of leading causes of deaths here. It is a serious matter. 

Fortunately, TB treatment is free here. Unfortunately, since the medical treatment is also a requirement for the visa, your fiance has to do it through St. Lukes. Otherwise, conditions will prolong the process of her obtaining her visa.

How do people afford it? That is a question that you shouldn't be answering alone. Doesn't your fiance work? She will have to relocate here in Manila and her kids too. Schools aren't even an issue. Kids can easily transfer schools. There are many employment opportunities here in Manila. You both have to anticipate and plan the possible outcome. You both want to be together. You therefore have to work together.

Edited by notantifun

Timeline

I am not stepping off ANY BUS "SIR  GREENBAUM"  but not everyone like yourself has such funds. And money cant buy what Mira means to me. Thank you for what seems to be knowledge of the medical procedures at St. Luke.  I can only pray she shows negative for TB and also if she has TB ask God to heal her . 

We are two people IN LOVE only wanting to be together. Sad I have personally seen those who have had it so easy to enter the USA and pass everything and they are living Devils who have bad motives and such ?

Thanks Again Greenbaum 

Larry&Mira

p.s My fiance was working in the store her Dad was killed in , so no employment , store closed, and she worked in Hong Kong as a domestic SLAVE for 6 years prior, so I do not know how she could help me working where  in Manila? And she has a 12 year old son with her also.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:34 PM, Larry & Mira said:

I am not stepping off ANY BUS "SIR  GREENBAUM"  but not everyone like yourself has such funds. And money cant buy what Mira means to me. Thank you for what seems to be knowledge of the medical procedures at St. Luke.  I can only pray she shows negative for TB and also if she has TB ask God to heal her . 

We are two people IN LOVE only wanting to be together. Sad I have personally seen those who have had it so easy to enter the USA and pass everything and they are living Devils who have bad motives and such ?

Thanks Again Greenbaum 

Larry&Mira

p.s My fiance was working in the store her Dad was killed in , so no employment , store closed, and she worked in Hong Kong as a domestic SLAVE for 6 years prior, so I do not know how she could help me working where  in Manila? And she has a 12 year old son with her also.

I'm not trying to get in a ####### match with you. I'm stating the truth and my years of experience in helping others just like you. You're not the first nor are you going to be the last to have faced obstacles in this process. The kind of person you are will eventually either solve this or you'll walk away. I'm betting on the two of you making it. This whole Visa Journey is about patience and dealing with the curveballs that are thrown your way. No one is second guessing your love for Mira. It's a great feeling when you have found your life partner. You need to be the strong one and show her that between the two of you, you guys can make it no matter what. Feeling sorry for yourselves will only cloud what you are trying to achieve.

BTW I like the ring to that "Sir Greenbaum".  :D

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove alternate spelling of profanity.
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

4 hours ago, notantifun said:

Hey I just completed the 2 month sputum test last Thursday. My culture test came back clear. The wait was nerve wracking.

The US government has their citizens' interest in mind thus the very a meticulous process. Unfortunately, the Philippines is in the top 10 countries with high incidents of TB and TB remains in the top 10 of leading causes of deaths here. It is a serious matter. 

Fortunately, TB treatment is free here. Unfortunately, since the medical treatment is also a requirement for the visa, your fiance has to do it through St. Lukes. Otherwise, conditions will prolong the process of her obtaining her visa.

How do people afford it? That is a question that you shouldn't be answering alone. Doesn't your fiance work? She will have to relocate here in Manila and her kids too. Schools aren't even an issue. Kids can easily transfer schools. There are many employment opportunities here in Manila. You both have to anticipate and plan the possible outcome. You both want to be together. You therefore have to work together.

Yahoooooo! Great news. Thanks for sharing. :dance:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

I apologize "Sir Greenbaum" I meant no harm or rudeness. Its just that I have Mira and her son to care for and its overwhelming for me as I am just a blue collar hard working man . But Nothing but my death will stop me from doing all I can to have them here with me . I shall be grateful I have endured Every delay and cost henceforth.

Im sure there are many in worse circumstances than my own. I just seen Mira's sister who found a much older man JUST for money land in America this week . And it upsets me that Mira and myself who are in a honest and good relationship have these obstacles. Mira's interview was August 17th and delayed by police clearance, now delayed say 3 months , say November. Thanks for listening and your creditable responses.

Larry& Mira

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
13 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

BTW I like the ring to that "Sir Greenbaum".  :D

We lived in Mumbai for 3 years and EVERYONE would call me Sir and my wife Ma'am. Eventually I said " 'Sir' is only for male Commissioned officers of the military and for members of the Royal Family,. My name is 'Steven', please call me 'Steven'"

"As you wish, Steven -Sir" 

7 hours ago, csk2b1 said:

We lived in Mumbai for 3 years and EVERYONE would call me Sir and my wife Ma'am. Eventually I said " 'Sir' is only for male Commissioned officers of the military and for members of the Royal Family,. My name is 'Steven', please call me 'Steven'"

"As you wish, Steven -Sir" 

:thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

My mother in-law also had a sputum test in St. Lukes for 3 days. It came negative. They said its a pulmonary.. But she still need to wait for 2 months for the culture test. She will come back in SLEC on oct 24 to have her x-ray again. 

Timeline

Something I do not understand ? Please if anyone may have a answer please reply'

Questions are } If something was seen on my fiances x ray " why did they not show her ? As we all pay for the exam and it should be available to her. I also wonder if they just play a numbers game on pass and not pass exams to keep GOVERNMENT number ratios ? Or are they TRULY concerned  about a persons health? As we know St. Lukes makes a fortune doing such exams. Its horrible my fiance spent 4 plus hours just to give a spectrum #1 test yesterday, its as if a assembly line and someone is failing to recognize they are all paying clients.

In America TB results can be done in 24 hours ? , I wonder why not in Manila ? or would such cut into their fortune made ? 2 months wait is crazy ! It seems to me EVERYTHING involving a Visa is a Big Money Machine for all , even USA they make a fortune also with Visa process. Its sad because so many true and blue in love find its beyond affordable and it should not be such. Changes so badly need be put in place. Sorry to go on but my fiance and son rely on me and it scares me the  methods and cost of such. They have been in Manila for almost 2 months now, first delay was a police clearance that never showed up at embassy. First interview Aug 17 then Sept 5 , now this spectrum testing for 2 plus months. She lives in Magpet so impossible to go back and forth from her home. Now we are looking at Nov for interview.  I go on and on sorry !

Thanks ahead for your helpful supporting replies.

Larry&Mira

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.