39 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, IAMX said:

Your memory must be better than mine, although I've only voted since 2000. Can you cite for me the last Republican supermajorities?

I recall the Dems having a few decades of supermajorities in the Senate under various Presidents from both parties (huge swaths between 1930s and 1970s). I don't recall any Republican supermajority since the 1800s.

You're right Republicans have been close, but never had 60. Do you think that changes my assertion though? Both parties talk about immigration reform, neither has really shown they really want it, despite numerous opportunities. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

You're right Republicans have been close, but never had 60. Do you think that changes my assertion though? Both parties talk about immigration reform, neither has really shown they really want it, despite numerous opportunities. 

Let's make it simple. Why isn't E-Verify mandatory? The party of No doesn't want it, the Dems don't want it. Why doesn't Trump write an executive order implementing it immediately? Hmmmmm.......

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Just now, spookyturtle said:

Let's make it simple. Why isn't E-Verify mandatory? The party of No doesn't want it, the Dems don't want it. Why doesn't Trump write an executive order implementing it immediately? Hmmmmm.......

People who buy into this are getting played by both parties. It's not the only area of course, but it's always strange to see people butting heads so vociferously over rhetoric. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
18 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

What's even funnier is that one party heads all three branches of the government and can't get anything passed. Or maybe pathetic would be a better word for it. 

The Democrats actually believe in what they espouse, whereas the Republicans don't.  The most current example of the latter is the nonrepeal of 0bummercare, despite the obvious opportunity to actually do so.

18 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Both sides have been talking about immigration reform since I was old enough to vote. Do you think either side in congress really want's it, and if so what has stopped them?

If Gary were still around, he'd remind us that the Democrats want a reliable bloc of new voters and the Republicans want cheap labor.  However, if immigration restrictions are loosened, the Ds risk anti-immigration backlash at the polls, and the Rs risk being overwhelmed by the bolstered bloc of D voters.  If immigration is restricted further, the Ds risk alienating their voter base, and the Rs risk being called racist.  This might be why rhetoric is just about all that we can expect.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

18 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Both side's have been talking about immigration reform since I was old enough to vote. Do you think either side in congress really want's it, and if so what has stopped them? Republicans and Democrats have both had a super majority at least once that I can remember, I'm sure there has been more than that. That should tell you something.

Amen

Timeline
2 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

The Democrats actually believe in what they espouse, whereas the Republicans don't.  The most current example of the latter is the nonrepeal of 0bummercare, despite the obvious opportunity to actually do so.

If Gary were still around, he'd remind us that the Democrats want a reliable bloc of new voters and the Republicans want cheap labor.  However, if immigration restrictions are loosened, the Ds risk anti-immigration backlash at the polls, and the Rs risk being overwhelmed by the bolstered bloc of D voters.  If immigration is restricted further, the Ds risk alienating their voter base, and the Rs risk being called racist.  This might be why rhetoric is just about all that we can expect.

Pretty much spot on. 

From the voter perspective, it makes me shake my head seeing Republicans repeatedly putting McConnell in the Senate knowing how pathetic a job he's doing. Not just him but a number of Republicans who aren't doing what their constituents voted them in for. After seeing what they've been pulling on Trump I hope this might be enough to change some minds about who they vote for. Establish politics needs to be upended. 

5 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

So why don't the Republicans come up with something better than "Obummercare" since that is what Trump promised? So the Republicans talk of things they don't believe in? That makes no sense. Or do they just not believe in Trump? Gotta wonder.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

2 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

So why don't the Republicans come up with something better than "Obummercare" since that is what Trump promised? So the Republicans talk of things they don't believe in? That makes no sense. Or do they just not believe in Trump? Gotta wonder.

Who knows really. I am a Conservative Republican and I was/is incensed that they have had 6+ years to draw up a plan for when they got the majority and then NOTHING!!!!!!!! That is what pisses me off to no end and if I could I would run for Congress against my local NC Congresswoman. All of the Republicans wanted to do was Repeal Repeal Repeal and that was it, there was nothing said about a replacement at all. I have said before on here that a number of things in Obamacare I actually think is a good thing such as Preexisting Conditions accepted that I think is a good thing. That cat is out of bag and they need to recognize that it is out of the bag. 

8 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Interesting take. I hadn't actually thought of it like that. I more thought of it as the Republicans being an amalgamation of too many philosophies or groups into one party. I think they believe what they are saying, but when push comes to shove, they aren't getting on the same page and getting it done. They may be united against the Democrats, they don't have that same unity within the party. Too many chefs spoiling the broth I guess.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Who knows really. I am a Conservative Republican and I was/is incensed that they have had 6+ years to draw up a plan for when they got the majority and then NOTHING!!!!!!!! That is what pisses me off to no end and if I could I would run for Congress against my local NC Congresswoman. All of the Republicans wanted to do was Repeal Repeal Repeal and that was it, there was nothing said about a replacement at all. I have said before on here that a number of things in Obamacare I actually think is a good thing such as Preexisting Conditions accepted that I think is a good thing. That cat is out of bag and they need to recognize that it is out of the bag. 

So long as McConnell is the Senate leader, and Ryan is the Speaker, Republicans are not going to accomplish anything. Gotta take out the trash, voters.

Edited by IAMX

9 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

I had not thought of it like this but I believe it as well and I am a Republican. This hurts but it's true. A fair number of Republicans talk the talk but don't do ####### when they get into office. They would rather listen to the donors from big business, while some Democrats are the same way. The rest of them want to tax everyone and give it to illegals and the poor.

2 minutes ago, IAMX said:

So long as McConnell is the Senate leader, and Ryan is the Speaker, Republicans are not going to accomplish anything. Gotta take out the trash, voters.

True that. 

I need some money so I can make a good run for Congress in NC.

14 minutes ago, IAMX said:

Aren't you moving there? Or somewhere?

Yeah I am moving there soon, I have job lined up just waiting on my clearance to come through. That doesn't mean I am just waiting for that one job, I am still applying to other jobs just in case something pops off that's better you know. 

My goal is to move to NC, but I will settle for VA as well. Sinve I am already a Fed employee it is easy for me to find a job I can transfer to somewhere in the road which is enticing. I would like my kids to grow up around and in a different country/culture, and my wife would like that as well. So it's up in the air right now but I do have the job in NC lined up right now.

Edited by cyberfx1024

1 minute ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah I am moving there soon, I have job lined up just waiting on my clearance to come through. That doesn't mean I am just waiting for that one job, I am still applying to other jobs just in case something pops off that's better you know. 

My goal is to move to NC, but I will settle for VA as well. Sinve I am already a Fed employee it is easy for me to find a job I can transfer to somewhere in the road which is enticing. I would like my kids to grow up around and in a different country/culture, and my wife would like that as well. So it's up in the air right now but I do have the job in NC lined up right now. 

Come to Boston. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline
2 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I wish you both the best of luck, make sure to update us so we can celebrate getting away from crazytown. :lol: