29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am Canadian and my fiance is American. We submitted our K1 Visa application on June 22, 2017. After 5 days, we received an email and a letter indicating that our application was forwarded to California Service Center. We haven't heard anything since... it's been 5 weeks. Today, my fiance called California Service Center and was told that we should expect to receive our NOA1 six months from today because they have a 6-month backlog. Isn't that unusually slow?  Based on the timeline here on VJ, I thought the wait time is 2-3 weeks, not 6 months. I'm confused.

P.S. USCIS cashed the check about 4 weeks ago.

Edited by Evelyn Miclat

Go here and file an e-request for "did not receive notice by mail": https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/Intro.do

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about NOA1 or NOA2?

NOA1 shows up within 30 days after you receive the email/texts.

NOA2 can take anything from 2 months to 10 months or more if you're unlucky. On VJ it looks like most get approved in 2-4 months but it's also normal with 5 months, be happy with anything faster than that.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline

Hi Scandi,

I am talking about NOA1.  The answer that my fiance got when he called USCIS was that they have not started processing our application yet and therefore they have not sent the NOA1 yet because they have a 6-month backlog. He was told that NOA1 will be mailed/emailed to him in about 6 months. He called twice and got the same answer each time.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Go here and file an e-request for "did not receive notice by mail": https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/Intro.do

OK - I will try that too... But even if we did not receive the notice by mail, we would have received one via email if they'd actually sent one, wouldn't we? It's worth a try though... Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Evelyn Miclat said:

I am Canadian and my fiance is American. We submitted our K1 Visa application on June 22, 2017. After 5 days, we received an email and a letter indicating that our application was forwarded to California Service Center. We haven't heard anything since... it's been 5 weeks. Today, my fiance called California Service Center and was told that we should expect to receive our NOA1 six months from today because they have a 6-month backlog. Isn't that unusually slow?  Based on the timeline here on VJ, I thought the wait time is 2-3 weeks, not 6 months. I'm confused.

That letter is your NOA1. Sorry, I missed that part of your post when I first replied.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

OK, you are talking about NOA2. FYI, the current processing times between NOA1 and NOA2 is about 4 months. In the last couple of months, people have been receiving their NOA2 in the 120+ days mark. Again, as per @Scandi, it could be less (mine was less) and it could be more (some people got theirs way later than 120+ days). 

Since you have only submitted your I-129F in June, your adjudication and possibility of receiving a NOA2, RFE or denial would be some time in September or October if there are no delays.

Please do not use the link I shared with you in my original post to request for a NOA2. A NOA2 cannot be requested for it to just happen. The link can only be used when you need them to resend a missing notice

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Scandi said:

That letter is your NOA1. Sorry, I missed that part of your post when I first replied.

So the letter from Texas telling us that they forwarded the application to California is NOA1?  In VJ's timeline, it isn't so ... unless I'm mistaken.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
1 hour ago, Evelyn Miclat said:

On your email you should have a case number.  Go to the USCIS website, click check your case status and enter the case number.  Then click on the case number.   If it says received there you are good to go.  Albeit it is nice to have a hard copy of the NOA-1 in hand.       

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cruise77 said:

On your email you should have a case number.  Go to the USCIS website, click check your case status and enter the case number.  Then click on the case number.   If it says received there you are good to go.  Albeit it is nice to have a hard copy of the NOA-1 in hand.       

It's says: On June 27, 2017, we received your Form I-129F, Petition for Fiance(E), Receipt Number xxx and sent you the receipt notice that describes how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your receipt notice by July 27, 2017, please call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283. .

And because we didn't receive the receipt, we don't know what instructions to follow. And that's what prompted us (my fiance) to call the Customer Service number...Now I understand that Customer Service was talking about NOA2 whereas my fiance was inquiring about a copy of NOA1.

16 minutes ago, Evelyn Miclat said:

So the letter from Texas telling us that they forwarded the application to California is NOA1?  In VJ's timeline, it isn't so ... unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, that was the NOA1 :) All current I-129F petitiones are sent to CSC for processing.

If CSC ever transfers your petition out to another service center, you would receive a new notice noting the transfer. If not, you'll only be waiting for a NOA2, RFE or denial from CSC. But of course if there's a RFE, upon your RFE response and their completion of adjudication, you will then get a NOA2.

1 minute ago, Evelyn Miclat said:

It's says: On June 27, 2017, we received your Form I-129F, Petition for Fiance(E), Receipt Number xxx and sent you the receipt notice that describes how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your receipt notice by July 27, 2017, please call Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283. .

And because we didn't receive the receipt, we don't know what instructions to follow. And that's what prompted us (my fiance) to call the Customer Service number...Now I understand that Customer Service was talking about NOA2 whereas my fiance was inquiring about a copy of NOA1.

You did say your fiance got a letter indicating that your petition was sent to CSC, that is NOA1. If you look at the said letter, there would be a WAC number. They don't send any letter in the early stage except for the NOA1, which is kinda like their acknowledgement of receipt.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

You did say your fiance got a letter indicating that your petition was sent to CSC, that is NOA1. If you look at the said letter, there would be a WAC number. They don't send any letter in the early stage except for the NOA1, which is kinda like their acknowledgement of receipt.

Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.