Roel

RoC from Germany | mini guide sort of.

11 posts in this topic

I wanted to create this thread for military spouses/dependents who do their RoC while being overseas. We are currently stationed in Germany and I just send out my I-751. Consider this a little guide and I also wanted to simply write down the process progress. :) Maybe it will help someone.

I'll update the thread accordingly during the process.

Step One:

Assemble your RoC package! I used the VJ guide for I-751.

You have to include the copy of the military orders (as a spouse, your name have to be on the orders). On top of the I-751 form, write "Government orders" or "Military overseas". Something like that to let USCIS know what they're dealing with. :)

You have to include the money order (or check) fee + biometrics. Even though you will not be attending any biometrics appointment set by the USCIS. You are required to include the biometrics card with your package. Find the immigration/naturalization office on your military post and they should tell you where to go to get your fingerprint taken. It's free! The person who will prepare your biometric card will give it to you in the seal envelope.

Step Two:

Send and wait. :P

Since my husband (USC) is a resident of Virginia, we send the package to the Vermont Service Center. We send our on July 17, 2017.

Once you send yours, keep your fingers crossed for the fast response and a smooth process.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Step Three:

Receive your I-797 :)

August 1, 2017 - I-797 Notice in mail. Extension of legal status.

Now your real waiting game starts. Like I said before, since you're overseas you will not get any biometrics appointment.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Good Morning, I just came across your blog and have a quick question.

Was there anything you had to do before you left the US on military orders with your husband? We are about to PCS to Germany and I have my 2 year green card in hand. Do I have to inform USCIS or anything?

THank you

ROC

Window opened:                 15 OCT 2019

Sent:                                      16 OCT 2019

Arrived at Dalles Lockbox: 21 OCT 2019

Yes you have to make sure you're on your husband orders and also once you move and have your new address you have notify Uscis about change of address. 

You can do it online. Just Google Uscis change of address.  You just fill the form with the new address and check the box saying that you're on the military orders overseas  

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

• 2 months later...

Anyone knows if it's ok to wait past the extension letter and NOT get a stamp for another year? Does it affect the process in any way? 

I'm only aware that I won't be able to work (green card and letter both will be expired, employer needs proof of legal status). 

I'm asking because I've contacted Frankfurt consulate and they do NOT do stamps outside of the US apparently. 

So I'm at the point if my letter expires, I can't do anything until my new green card arrived? Or anyone managed to get this stamp in Germany? 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

18 minutes ago, Roel said:

Anyone knows if it's ok to wait past the extension letter and NOT get a stamp for another year? Does it affect the process in any way? 

I'm only aware that I won't be able to work (green card and letter both will be expired, employer needs proof of legal status). 

I'm asking because I've contacted Frankfurt consulate and they do NOT do stamps outside of the US apparently. 

So I'm at the point if my letter expires, I can't do anything until my new green card arrived? Or anyone managed to get this stamp in Germany? 

Good question and I believe that since you are already abroad that you will not be able to work that is it. But don't forget you MIGHT want to travel to the USA so there is that.

7 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Good question and I believe that since you are already abroad that you will not be able to work that is it. But don't forget you MIGHT want to travel to the USA so there is that.

Well working part kind of worries me, not sure if my employer will be ok with me not having legal status - in theory. 

We won't be going back to the US for 2 more years so I'm not worried about traveling. 

As long as they won't deny my ROC based on.. dunno, not getting that stupid stamp for another year, I'll be ok.. without paychecks , but I'll be ok lol. :P

Just hoped maybe someone managed to take care of it while abroad. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

6 minutes ago, Roel said:

Well working part kind of worries me, not sure if my employer will be ok with me not having legal status - in theory. 

We won't be going back to the US for 2 more years so I'm not worried about traveling. 

As long as they won't deny my ROC based on.. dunno, not getting that stupid stamp for another year, I'll be ok.. without paychecks , but I'll be ok lol. :P

Just hoped maybe someone managed to take care of it while abroad. 

Have you called around to the other consulates in Germany or embassies around Europe? Maybe you and the hubby could take a couple days and make vaca out of it if you find a embassy that does it.

13 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Have you called around to the other consulates in Germany or embassies around Europe? Maybe you and the hubby could take a couple days and make vaca out of it if you find a embassy that does it.

Hm, good idea. We will be in Poland next month, I'll check if Warsaw embassy can do it. Imma give them a call.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

1 minute ago, Roel said:

Hm, good idea. We will be in Poland next month, I'll check if Warsaw embassy can do it. Imma give them a call.

I mean it might not work but you never know if you don't try right.

6 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I mean it might not work but you never know if you don't try right.

Yeah. Have nothing to lose anyway. :P

I'm not planning on flying to the US for a day just to get that stamp lol.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.