Ula Svensson

Thai bride sin sod amounts

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Ning's the best and thank you dear, yes i will succeed... she is not the first girl I've talked to over seas, in fact I was doing this since the mid 90's when the internet was still relatively new and my email address is 25 years old this year! hehe so yes, I do know quite a bit more than it may seem by the limited comments I have left here at this prestigious and invaluable site I adore and will definitely continue to enjoy, hopefully

Umka36 thank you for your thought and for me.. I feel that, and thoroughly explain to the girl in question that this will be a very long project and that anything good in life takes alot of hard work, patience, commitment and faith and if she wants to be happy for the rest of her life then she will have to wait for a year or whatever it takes... because if she cant then shes not serious or deserving of it in the first place.. Ofcurse i can just got to any of these countries and have more beautiful young girls then I'll ever want but thats not what its about, I'm not a sex tourist or sort time affair kind of guy...

At this point i told her i love her and shes the most beautiful girl in the world and I have the utmost integrity and determination and my informed opinion is that the issue of the money was not a very big part of this... 

Thank you everyone! I welcome all comments as always form my visajourney family!

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove pictures as requested.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 hours ago, Umka36 said:

Should the OP do this international relationship again in the future, I suggest making the trip sooner. My wife would have dumped me if I had waited a year to visit her.

I agree to a point. Sooner is certainly better to get to meet at least for a short time. Few Thais can just plan a trip to the USA so its almost always the USC that travels there. Thais have a very difficult time getting B 2 visas. To me this means an early investment in the relationship is the best way to eliminate many questions. A serious chance at chemistry can make the difference in the end. 

Many Thai wives will wait because they are committed to the person & the entire concept of a better life. Not so much if they are in another category simply because they are human having needs you might say. IMHO

Filed: Timeline
12 hours ago, Ning said:

I agree to a point. Sooner is certainly better to get to meet at least for a short time. Few Thais can just plan a trip to the USA so its almost always the USC that travels there. Thais have a very difficult time getting B 2 visas. To me this means an early investment in the relationship is the best way to eliminate many questions. A serious chance at chemistry can make the difference in the end. 

Many Thai wives will wait because they are committed to the person & the entire concept of a better life. Not so much if they are in another category simply because they are human having needs you might say. IMHO

Obviously there isn't a right/wrong answer on when one visits. I look at this way, if you have the means to visit then I say just go. If it doesn't work out, then take the loss as a vacation. There are many places to visit/do in Thailand.

I also have relatives from Thailand, and meeting the family is very important.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Umka36 said:

Obviously there isn't a right/wrong answer on when one visits. I look at this way, if you have the means to visit then I say just go. If it doesn't work out, then take the loss as a vacation. There are many places to visit/do in Thailand.

I also have relatives from Thailand, and meeting the family is very important.

No question that you are correct. I have seen a few cases where the relationship on line began well but trying to make any determinations without personal contact became the very reason it failed. 

In Thailand its very important to meet the family & especially important to figure out to best do that. Great way to find common ground thru the planning ect. Foundation needs language ability very early as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
4 hours ago, calyorker said:

Ning, please remove the photos of this woman  in my previous posts, from the site, thank you

I have no ability to do so but have asked the mods to do so. 

How much sinsod should you give depends on many factors. 

1. Where does her family live? Small poor town in the country side or big major cities ? 

2. How well educated she is ? Graduate highschool, bachlor degree, master degree or what? The better education and better university rank she gets means more sinsod the family usually call. 

3. What is she doing for a living? Of course if she is working as a very entry level job then sinsod should be much lower than those skilled worker. 

4. How much money are you earning? The more you make the more you pay. I know it is nasty fact but the lady family would consider this as a major thing. 

Anyway this is 2017 most family do not ask for sinsod anymore. But there are a lot that is still do. I had a couple friends that got married in the past year. A lady is a doctor marry an army pilot her family call for 2 million Thai baht + 10 baht gold [Price should be around 19,800 Thai bath per 1 gold baht at a time] so that is around 2.2 million Thai baht.  Another friend that marry an american guy. She got a bachlor degree in finance from a top 4 university in Thailand and he is a store manager that makes around $70k a year. Her family ask for 1 million Thai baht.  In my case my family didn't ask for any sinsod.  But from your interesting questions, I called my mom and asked if they need to ask for sinsod how much should it be. They said base on my profile I should get at least 1.5 million Thai baht.  Then I returned to my husband and ask the same question. He said he'd pay $10k .......oh well 
:bonk:   

I found an interesting source that help you calculate the amount of sinsod base on economic theory. Remember this is gonna be in Thai baht.
  [2.2205 x average saraly per month between you and her]  + [8,986.92×average age between you and her] + [174,818.6 if her family lives in Bangkok] + [227,064.1 If she is the first child in family who will get marry ] - [134,160.8 If she still need to send money back home ] - [454,350.5 If she didn't have at least bachlor degree ] 

But anyway most people said the calculation above is a little over price. The acceptable standard sinsod for a common family that both of the parents and children are not having extra educated or any standout family profile[like didn't own a huge firm, not well known in the city...etc.. ] the price usually be around 200,000-500,000 Thai baht.  I'd say if you're okay to give her family sinsod then do as much as you think it won't hurt you. I believe her family should understand. Wish you luck!!

My K1 visa journey △ ( My process took 90 days until the interview )

14 August 2015 : Mailed I-129F through USPS express service

02 September 2015 : Received NOA1 hard copy by mail.

05 October 2015 : Case number was assigned.

20 October 2015 : Packet 3 arrived in my hand.

03 November 2015 : Got Packet 4 e-mail from Bangkok embassy about the interview date.

18 November 2015 : Visa interview and it was approved!

20 November 2015 : Got documents and a passport with K1 Visa back in my hands

My AOS Journey △ 

11 July 2016 : Sent AOS+AP+EAD package

12 July 2016 : NOA1 for AP and EAD  / 14 July 2016 : NOA1 for AOS

26 July 2016 : Got Biometric letter

09 Aug 2016 : Biometric appointment

21 Sep 2016 : EAD New card is being produced

07 Oct 2016 : AOS case was approved. Without interview!!

13 Oct 2016 : card was mailed to me

My I-751 - Removing conditions Journey

20 Sep 2018 : Sent package to USCIS in Arizona

25 Oct 2018 : Got paper NOA , Notice date 20 October 2018

21 June 2019 : Received Biometric appointment

25 June 2019 : Biometric

6 August 2019 : Case was approved!

1 DEC 2019 : Applied online

7 DEC 2019 : Biometric appointment letter

Timeline
33 minutes ago, iipenny said:

1. Where does her family live? Small poor town in the country side or big major cities ? 

2. How well educated she is ? Graduate highschool, bachlor degree, master degree or what? The better education and better university rank she gets means more sinsod the family usually call. 

3. What is she doing for a living? Of course if she is working as a very entry level job then sinsod should be much lower than those skilled worker. 

4. How much money are you earning? The more you make the more you pay. I know it is nasty fact but the lady family would consider this as a major thing. 

Anyway this is 2017 most family do not ask for sinsod anymore. But there are a lot that is still do. I had a couple friends that got married in the past year. A lady is a doctor marry an army pilot her family call for 2 million Thai baht + 10 baht gold [Price should be around 19,800 Thai bath per 1 gold baht at a time] so that is around 2.2 million Thai baht.  Another friend that marry an american guy. She got a bachlor degree in finance from a top 4 university in Thailand and he is a store manager that makes around $70k a year. Her family ask for 1 million Thai baht.  In my case my family didn't ask for any sinsod.  But from your interesting questions, I called my mom and asked if they need to ask for sinsod how much should it be. They said base on my profile I should get at least 1.5 million Thai baht.  Then I returned to my husband and ask the same question. He said he'd pay $10k .......oh well 

I found an interesting source that help you calculate the amount of sinsod base on economic theory. Remember this is gonna be in Thai baht.
  [2.2205 x average saraly per month between you and her]  + [8,986.92×average age between you and her] + [174,818.6 if her family lives in Bangkok] + [227,064.1 If she is the first child in family who will get marry ] - [134,160.8 If she still need to send money back home ] - [454,350.5 If she didn't have at least bachlor degree ] 

But anyway most people said the calculation above is a little over price. The acceptable standard sinsod for a common family that both of the parents and children are not having extra educated or any standout family profile[like didn't own a huge firm, not well known in the city...etc.. ] the price usually be around 200,000-500,000 Thai baht.  I'd say if you're okay to give her family sinsod then do as much as you think it won't hurt you. I believe her family should understand. Wish you luck!!

This is all over the map to me. You say " most family do not ask for sin sod anymore ". That's simply not true but what is important here on V J is the questions people have about paying it.  

In the past year you have had several friends that asked for millions yet you asked for nothing. Why? The answer to that & your families reaction would be helpful to others. 

People should keep in mind that the sin sod money is a huge attraction to the extended family so it goes quickly. 

The simply way to approach sin sod is to determine what a person is willing to pay without regretting it later because it will always affect the marriage. 

My husband did what he felt was best and it turned out to be a wonderful way to show continuing  respect for our mother. We have 11 years invested in her not just a down payment. 

29 minutes ago, Ning said:

This is all over the map to me. You say " most family do not ask for sin sod anymore ". That's simply not true but what is important here on V J is the questions people have about paying it.  

In the past year you have had several friends that asked for millions yet you asked for nothing. Why? The answer to that & your families reaction would be helpful to others. 

People should keep in mind that the sin sod money is a huge attraction to the extended family so it goes quickly. 

The simply way to approach sin sod is to determine what a person is willing to pay without regretting it later because it will always affect the marriage. 

My husband did what he felt was best and it turned out to be a wonderful way to show continuing  respect for our mother. We have 11 years invested in her not just a down payment. 

My answer base on the environment I'm in and grew up in. I have both friends that do sinsod thing and not doing it. If you read pantip you might notice the changing of new generation's idea of sinsod and you will be surprised about it. My family didn't ask for any because they don't see how important sinsod issue is. They didn't care about it "at all". When my sister got married they asked for nothing as well. And I they didn't feel like it is unrespectful to them. As long as the marriage couple can take care of each other then it is fine to them. I can't find the exact answer that you wish because there is no specific explanation for that. It is as common as somebody likes white some likes green. Some hate fish some likes it. Mine didn't need sinsod doesn't mean any other won't and some need it doesn't mean I need it too. Just different way of thinking. You can say anything base on your experience. What I posted was base on my experience that might be different too.

My K1 visa journey △ ( My process took 90 days until the interview )

14 August 2015 : Mailed I-129F through USPS express service

02 September 2015 : Received NOA1 hard copy by mail.

05 October 2015 : Case number was assigned.

20 October 2015 : Packet 3 arrived in my hand.

03 November 2015 : Got Packet 4 e-mail from Bangkok embassy about the interview date.

18 November 2015 : Visa interview and it was approved!

20 November 2015 : Got documents and a passport with K1 Visa back in my hands

My AOS Journey △ 

11 July 2016 : Sent AOS+AP+EAD package

12 July 2016 : NOA1 for AP and EAD  / 14 July 2016 : NOA1 for AOS

26 July 2016 : Got Biometric letter

09 Aug 2016 : Biometric appointment

21 Sep 2016 : EAD New card is being produced

07 Oct 2016 : AOS case was approved. Without interview!!

13 Oct 2016 : card was mailed to me

20 Sep 2018 : Sent package to USCIS in Arizona

25 Oct 2018 : Got paper NOA , Notice date 20 October 2018

21 June 2019 : Received Biometric appointment

25 June 2019 : Biometric

6 August 2019 : Case was approved!

1 DEC 2019 : Applied online

7 DEC 2019 : Biometric appointment letter

Timeline
3 hours ago, iipenny said:

My answer base on the environment I'm in and grew up in. I have both friends that do sinsod thing and not doing it. If you read pantip you might notice the changing of new generation's idea of sinsod and you will be surprised about it. My family didn't ask for any because they don't see how important sinsod issue is. They didn't care about it "at all". When my sister got married they asked for nothing as well. And I they didn't feel like it is unrespectful to them. As long as the marriage couple can take care of each other then it is fine to them. I can't find the exact answer that you wish because there is no specific explanation for that. It is as common as somebody likes white some likes green. Some hate fish some likes it. Mine didn't need sinsod doesn't mean any other won't and some need it doesn't mean I need it too. Just different way of thinking. You can say anything base on your experience. What I posted was base on my experience that might be different too.

So your advise is to say that sin sod isn't paid in 2017 by most people based on your own experience ? People are going to hope you are right but sin sod isn't going away. It isn't a color or food choice they are making. Sin sod is ingrained in Thai culture & I believe its there to stay. The families you describe with the money ect indicate how you & others see society there. People in BKK feel superior to others for example while they are really just another person in a mega city filled with poor under educated people. 

Timeline

Everyone has their own opinions and their own experiences ofcourse, no one is right and no one is wrong..thanks to all for sharing a bit of themselves

Edited by calyorker

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
8 hours ago, iipenny said:

Is there an App?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

i want to know how to delete my account and everything with my previous name here (calyorker) so that when a site search is done nothing will pop up (with the name calyorker)... im having some problems...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.