iamjonah

Will apply for tourist visa after that will apply spousal visa

34 posts in this topic

Hello fello VJ's! I am married to a LPR and i want to give him a surprise visit on our anniversary through a tourist visa. Is it possible that I will be given a chance to enter US being married to a lpr? If yes, after my vacation, we will start our application early nextyear for spousal visa. Is it okay to have a tourist visa and apply for I-130 afterwards? 

Thank you! 

You will probably have a harder time getting a tourist visa. Why not just apply for the spouse visa now? It is a year long process after all. For the embassy it might look like you want to skip that by using the b2 visa  

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

5 minutes ago, Roel said:

You will probably have a harder time getting a tourist visa. Why not just apply for the spouse visa now? It is a year long process after all. For the embassy it might look like you want to skip that by using the b2 visa  

No, for spouses of green card holders, it takes 2 years to get a green card.

14 minutes ago, iamjonah said:

Hello fello VJ's! I am married to a LPR and i want to give him a surprise visit on our anniversary through a tourist visa. Is it possible that I will be given a chance to enter US being married to a lpr? If yes, after my vacation, we will start our application early nextyear for spousal visa. Is it okay to have a tourist visa and apply for I-130 afterwards? 

Thank you! 

You need to show ties to your country. Property, lease, job (pay stubs and maybe a letter of your boss saying you are taking a holiday), bank account, anything proving you are coming back.

I have a friend whose husband is a green card holder in the U.S. and she got a visitor visa (not from Saudi Arabia).

@Roel as what u have said it will take years and that is the reason why i want to apply for tourist visa because i really miss him now. if i got the visa i can visit him anytime right? another question is, if visa is already granted can i immediately apply for spousal visa? hoping it will never create a conflict my latter application 

5 hours ago, iamjonah said:

if i got the visa i can visit him anytime right? another question is, if visa is already granted can i immediately apply for spousal visa? hoping it will never create a conflict my latter application 

Yes, you can visit but you have to be careful about not staying too long or doing too many trips. First, you want to keep ties to your country because they can send you back or they can cancel your visa if they think you are living in the U.S. Second, if you visit, check your i-94 online (your husband probably knows how to do this) as it will say the date in which you have to leave; never stay past this date. Third, never work or do anything that sounds like working in the U.S.; even offering to babysit for free for friends seems to be considered working. I mention this because they could ask you when you get into the U.S. or they may check your phone for text messages.

Staying a month or even 2 should be fine. But let's say you stay 6 months, the maximum allowed, then you cannot be back to the U.S. for a year. If you are unsure about how long your trip can be, you can ask on this forum once you have your visa and you have an idea of how long you could stay. 

I recommend that if he has holidays, he either visits you or you meet in the middle (like Europe) so that you can use the visa for when he is working and he cannot leave the country. 

thank you. what bothers me is that, if it would be fine for us to apply for spousal visa after leaving US for a month of vacation?

7 minutes ago, iamjonah said:

thank you. what bothers me is that, if it would be fine for us to apply for spousal visa after leaving US for a month of vacation?

You cannot apply for the spousal visa. He has to send the documents to an U.S. address. It gets processed in the U.S. and the last part is processed at the consulate. 

He will need a lot of information from you, like a copy of your birth certificate, and other information to fill in the forms. I recommend that you do some research on what you will need to submit (there is information on this forum) and you fill in the forms together when you visit him. You can give him the documents, etc. He can mail the packet when you go back home. 

Edited by Coco8

I mean my husband will start the petition for spousal visa after my vacation after I get back here in saudi arabia. would it be fine?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A tourist visa takes a week or so to interview, an immigrant visa a year, I would have thought the immigrant visa is your priority.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

@Boiler is it possible to apply for spousal visa while holding a recent tourist visa? i miss my husband already and I could not wait for a longer time. just a chance to spend a short time with him will be enough. after that i could wait for spousal visa even if it takes year

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

A tourist visa takes a week or so to interview, an immigrant visa a year, I would have thought the immigrant visa is your priority.

No, her husband is LPR. It takes more than a year for them. More like 2 years or over.

3 hours ago, iamjonah said:

@Boiler is it possible to apply for spousal visa while holding a recent tourist visa? i miss my husband already and I could not wait for a longer time. just a chance to spend a short time with him will be enough. after that i could wait for spousal visa even if it takes year

Yes, you can apply for spousal visa. Just keep ties to your country (like a job); otherwise, you won't be allowed to visit anymore after you file for the visa. 

When will he be able to become citizen? It is 5 years from the date he got the green card. The process for US citizens is faster.

Oh, and don't travel to any of the countries in the travel ban. 

Edited by Coco8

Getting a tourist visa will be tough for you.

its tough for spouse of US citizens and green card holders generally speaking

at least if you have your spouse application in place it may make it easier.

seeing your spouse once doesnt make it any easier....

when did you marry?  How come he hasnt applied yet? 

Edited by Auds

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Missed the LPR bit so even more important to file asap.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They will not issue a visitor visa. I tried that after our marriage. We had all documents showing ties to the Philippines. They wouldn't even look at them and denied it saying we didn't show ties to the Philippines. I'm trying to expedite now for medical reasons and seems they don't care.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't know what the problem is with our Government. They say we didn't file out the G-325 because it is on the I-130. Every one says send it any way. They are wrong.They make mistakes and it means nothing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.