Natalie_Bart

Length of time between NOA2 and word from NVC

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Does anyone have information on how long it takes for the National Visa Center to contact the applicant by mail following the NOA2 approval from USCIS? The NOA2 document indicates it could be up to 30 days, but I was hoping it might be quicker! Mine was apparently sent to NVC on May 24 and I haven't heard anything since. Any advice is appreciated. 

Call NVC to see if they have received the petition.

CR-1 Visa Timeline

USCIS

7/27/2016: I-130 mailed.

8/02/2016: NOA1.

2/17/2017: NOA2.

2/24/2017: I-130 sent to NVC.

NVC

3/03/2017:  I-130 received.

3/09/2017: Case # and invoice # received, AOS and IV fees paid.

3/16/2017: DS-260 submitted; AOS and IV packets sent with EP.

4/06/2017: Case complete.

Consulate

4/15/2017: Interview email (P4).

5/09/2017: Medical.

5/15/2017: Interview.

5/19/2017: Visa in hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA

5/20/2017: POE.

6/10/2017: Green card received.

7/05/2017: SSN card received (had to apply in person).  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lifting Conditions

4/19/2019: Filed I-751

5/01/2019: NOA (CSC)

7/22/2019: Case transferred to National Benefits Center

12/20/2019: Biometrics Appointment

2/12/2020: Interview Date

Timeline
12 hours ago, cordoba2015 said:

Call NVC to see if they have received the petition.

Do you have a phone number for the NVC? When I call the one I have an automated message plays and then the line disconnects.

2 minutes ago, Natalie_Bart said:

Do you have a phone number for the NVC? When I call the one I have an automated message plays and then the line disconnects.

(603) 334-0700

CR-1 Visa Timeline

USCIS

NVC

Consulate

USA

Lifting Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It takes around 2 weeks for the NVC to receive your case, and then an average of 1-2 more weeks to be assigned a case number. Most call the NVC to get their case number, however they do mail out a physical letter with it as well. I got the letter in the mail last week, about 2 weeks after my case number was assigned and my case was sent to the consulate. So overall, about a month after my NOA2 (May 5) I received the letter. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

We received our case number almost 3 weeks after NOA2. It took a week for USCIS to send our petition to NVC after approval. Then it took a week to arrive at NVC, and almost a week for a case number to be assigned once received by NVC. I called NVC after a couple weeks to see if they had received our petition so I could have an idea of when the case number would be available. All I really cared about at that point was getting the case number and invoice number so I could pay the fees and get everything submitted as soon as possible.

CR-1 Visa Timeline

USCIS

NVC

Consulate

USA

Lifting Conditions

Timeline
3 minutes ago, cordoba2015 said:

We received our case number almost 3 weeks after NOA2. It took a week for USCIS to send our petition to NVC after approval. Then it took a week to arrive at NVC, and almost a week for a case number to be assigned once received by NVC. I called NVC after a couple weeks to see if they had received our petition so I could have an idea of when the case number would be available. All I really cared about at that point was getting the case number and invoice number so I could pay the fees and get everything submitted as soon as possible.

I had no idea there would be more fees to pay at this stage. Once they give me a case number, what's the next step? Are there more lengthy forms to fill out? I was under the impression that the approved USCIS application is forwarded by the NVC to the consulate after this phase, am I wrong?

Just now, Natalie_Bart said:

I had no idea there would be more fees to pay at this stage. Once they give me a case number, what's the next step? Are there more lengthy forms to fill out? I was under the impression that the approved USCIS application is forwarded by the NVC to the consulate after this phase, am I wrong?

Oh, sorry, my experience relates to a CR-1 visa. Just realized you are doing K-1. The process is a bit different for you.

CR-1 Visa Timeline

USCIS

NVC

Consulate

USA

Lifting Conditions

Timeline
15 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

It takes around 2 weeks for the NVC to receive your case, and then an average of 1-2 more weeks to be assigned a case number. Most call the NVC to get their case number, however they do mail out a physical letter with it as well. I got the letter in the mail last week, about 2 weeks after my case number was assigned and my case was sent to the consulate. So overall, about a month after my NOA2 (May 5) I received the letter. 

Thanks! Are there more forms to fill out or fees to pay at this stage? Or does the NVC just assign the case number and book the appointment with the fiance's consulate location?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Natalie_Bart said:

Thanks! Are there more forms to fill out or fees to pay at this stage? Or does the NVC just assign the case number and book the appointment with the fiance's consulate location?

You will need to book your interview appointment online once you receive your case number. It looks like you will need to pay the visa fee (not sure what it is for Netherlands) at the time of booking. You might also need to fill out the I-134 affidavit of support form, but I'm not sure if this is required in Amsterdam. Once you create an interview appointment, you will likely get a packet of instructions from the consulate detailing exactly what you need and what the next steps are. 

Here is where I found this information: 

https://nl.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

Edited by RJandHamid

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

18 hours ago, Natalie_Bart said:

Does anyone have information on how long it takes for the National Visa Center to contact the applicant by mail following the NOA2 approval from USCIS? The NOA2 document indicates it could be up to 30 days, but I was hoping it might be quicker! Mine was apparently sent to NVC on May 24 and I haven't heard anything since. Any advice is appreciated. 

The timelines from NOA2 to NVC vary.  In our case, we received the NOA2 on 7/1 and the case wasn't received by the NVC until 8/17.  It was 9/2 before the consulate received our information.  The best thing you can do is to continue to call the NVC every day or two until they give you the good news that your case has been received.  I would recommend calling early in the morning or late at night - these times seem to have the shortest hold times.  

4 hours ago, Natalie_Bart said:

As mentioned above, you will need to pay the visa fee when you book your interview.  You might also have fees for a medical exam, a police clearance, and/or delivery fees for your approved visa.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Natalie_Bart said:

Once you receive the case number by calling the NVC. You just have to wait for your petition to forwarded to the embassy. Once embassy receive it. They will send you an email or mail for packet 3. After which you will need to fill up DS-160 then pay the fee to schedule the appointment. Once appointment is scheduled then you have to go for medical examination and pay for it.

Just make sure you give it enough time in between the interview and the medical so that you can have the medical report by then. Usually it take about 1-2 weeks for doctor to forward the medical report and in some countries they give you the sealed medical report which you can't open and have to give it to embassy at the time of interview.

So right now, keep checking the status on CEAC website where you can track where your petition is at the moment.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

In meanwhile you can get your supporting documents ready to send it to your fiance to take it with him at interview which includes affidavit of support, W2, Bank statements, pay stubs etc. proof of relationship, new letter of intents, including the copy of the whole i129f petition (In case if there is something missing in the original petition while getting transferred from USCIS to NVC to Embassy).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

For K1 visa, to receive a case # can take up to 8 weeks! I hope none of us need to go through this. It takes 6 weeks for them to receive and 2 weeks to assign case #.

I am on my 30th day. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.