mcdull

Filing N400 online, anyone?

1,046 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, mcdull said:

I received mine two days after. You should have your receipt number.

I just can't figure this out, if the system is full of problems, why is everyone efiling? When I edited, I encountered none of those issues you guys mentioned. And besides, it doesn't make the process faster at all! (Based on my experience)

I hemmed and hawed over it for a few days...whether to mail it in or do it online.

I finally chose e-filing for a few reasons.  One was that I liked the idea of basically "over-nighting" my application for free.  Instant submission, instant payment cleared, instant arrival to them.  That made it faster for me from the get-go instead of waiting a few days for them to receive it, and then waiting a few days to cash my check/clear my check from the bank.  And saved me the money of paying for the envelope, the delivery confirmation, the certified mail free/overnight express fee.  Not to mention saved me the stress of watching the post lady take it away and worrying no one would ever see it again.

It also works out in my favor to e-file because I am waiting on a couple "had to send away for originals again" documents that would take a bit of time to get to me, but I would certainly have them in my hands before my interview months down the road.  By e-filing, I'm at least able to get my application underway by uploading scans of photocopies made years ago that I'd thankfully still held onto.

The only issue I had with the e-filing was the duplicate document uploads, which I really didn't worry about because the issue is on their end, not mine, and the documents did attach to my submission so that was all that mattered to me in the end.

I do have the receipt number (the IOE number).

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

Still haven't received the NOA receipt online...hopefully later today, if not well then I'll just wait for the snail-mail one.

Note:  if you are filing online, make sure you've checked that you wish to receive email/text notification of case updates.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We filed the on-line N400 on 7/17/2017.  The only glitch I saw with the process was that when we uploaded multiple documents, they all ended up with the same name.  DELETE did not work.  I uploaded each document separately after that and the system took them correctly.

Jerry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Good luck everyone. I filed my case yesterday, 7/16/17 as well (online) so now the waiting game begins. It seems that I had the most issue with the attachments as the system refused to cooperate. I wasn't really worried about the duplicates but the attachments were overriding no matter what I did. Anyway, all is well that ends well! 

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
14 hours ago, NewOrleansJerry said:

We filed the on-line N400 on 7/17/2017.  The only glitch I saw with the process was that when we uploaded multiple documents, they all ended up with the same name.  DELETE did not work.  I uploaded each document separately after that and the system took them correctly.

Jerry

I had that problem where all ended up with same name and i couldn't delete them! so what was your fix? Like you attached 1 file --uploaded and than repeat for each section? but if the old documents didn't delete what did you do with them?

14 hours ago, SamBillz said:

Good luck everyone. I filed my case yesterday, 7/16/17 as well (online) so now the waiting game begins. It seems that I had the most issue with the attachments as the system refused to cooperate. I wasn't really worried about the duplicates but the attachments were overriding no matter what I did. Anyway, all is well that ends well! 

If your attachments were overriding no matter what than how did you proceed? deleted all of them from website? which they don't go away.  Really interested to see how you did yours as my whole application is done but now doing paper application

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
17 hours ago, Going through said:

Note:  if you are filing online, make sure you've checked that you wish to receive email/text notification of case updates.

Thanks -- took a moment to figure out how to do this, but done. Right away, she got an email saying she'd also signed up, as well as an email addressed to a totally different name. Just another one of their glitches? Have any of you received USCIS e-mail updates addressed to the wrong person?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
7 hours ago, super2007 said:

I had that problem where all ended up with same name and i couldn't delete them! so what was your fix? Like you attached 1 file --uploaded and than repeat for each section? but if the old documents didn't delete what did you do with them?

If your attachments were overriding no matter what than how did you proceed? deleted all of them from website? which they don't go away.  Really interested to see how you did yours as my whole application is done but now doing paper application

There was a pattern of attachments that kept on showing up even when i deleted all of them. Heck, I was looking to somehow reset the application and start all over again (or just go with the paper option). So my last try was to go back in and just upload the remaining ones. I ignored the duplicates and moved on to the review section. Luckily at that point, i double checked to make sure that i was not missing any of them and finally went ahead and submitted the application.

I wasn't too sure that it would work given the problems i was having but it did work out. I may have something like 6-7  attachments under evidence but the final count was like 20 (the rest duplicates). 

Try that way and see if it works for you (keeping my finger's crossed). Good luck!

Timeline

Remember to, when filing online, you can print out the snapshot of your e-file (log into the case activity uscis website to download it)...that way when you go to your interview, you can prove exactly what you uploaded with your application if there's ever a question of "you didn't submit this when you filed."  All of the evidence uploads show on the last page.

Timeline

Once we detected the duplicate name problem and could not delete them, we loaded a single file at a time.  As "Going Through" indicated, the correct files show up in the e-file download (as do the duplicates). 

Timeline

There is another difficulty with the on-line system today: when we try to log into the system after putting in the 2nd password, it never connects to the application.  Hopefully this is a temporary glitch.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, NewOrleansJerry said:

There is another difficulty with the on-line system today: when we try to log into the system after putting in the 2nd password, it never connects to the application.  Hopefully this is a temporary glitch.

You mean the one-time password sent to your email address, right?

I've been seeing the ELIS website going down intermittently this morning, too.  I think it may have something to do with how many people during the day are trying to access the server at once, and it starts to crash or time-out.  I've noticed that in the evenings, this has yet to happen to me.

Timeline

Yes, by second password I meant the one time password sent to my email address.  What we are seeing could easily be an overloaded server issue, I'll try again tonight.  Thank you.

Timeline
1 minute ago, NewOrleansJerry said:

Yes, by second password I meant the one time password sent to my email address.  What we are seeing could easily be an overloaded server issue, I'll try again tonight.  Thank you.

Soon enough I'll be able to break away from my habit of checking the website every hour for any news....lol

Hopefully I can wean myself down to just once a week checking after I remember that I have a life outside of USCIS...

Hello,

Just want to share my experience.

My I-751 was approved June 15th (plus or minus few days), and my 10 year card is still in production. They ordered it on July 7th (quite a wait it seems to me, comparing to  others).

I submitted N-400 (under 3 year rule) online on July 1st. Had same duplicate problem as others, but as many I have just submitted it and if I have to, I ll provide all my hard copies during the interview. So today (july 18) I had my biometric appointment scheduled in Brooklyn , NY at 11 am. Since I have a full time job, I decide to go there at 8 am and then go to work. (I did walk-in previous times even weeks earlier) BUT this morning I was turned away and told to come back at 11 am, or any other time AFTER that time/day. I tried arguing and even spoke to USCIS supervisor, but no luck. I came back at 11 and was done in 15 minutes. I was allowed to work from home today, so no issues with the employer.

Anyone going to Brooklyn office - be aware of the above.

Since applying, paying and till biometrics its been a fast process, now I can only wait and see if it will be any faster then 1 year estimate for NYC office they have posted on uscis.gov.

Anyone from NYC who applied before July 1st here?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.