mcdull

Filing N400 online, anyone?

1,046 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Has anybody filed N400 online recently? wondering how reliable is it.

Found this link : https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/us_citizen_through_naturalization#benefit-related-content-2

Thanks!

Edited by mcdull

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
46 minutes ago, mcdull said:

Has anybody filed N400 online recently? wondering how reliable is it.

Found this link : https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/us_citizen_through_naturalization#benefit-related-content-2

Thanks!

I applied last year and is the same information I used....the USCIS website is the most reliable information

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline
On 6/12/2017 at 1:01 PM, Texaco5 said:

USCIS is only accepting a small number of online applications at present, so if you scroll to the top of the page in the link in the original post in this thread and hit the green 'apply now' button, you will be taken through a series of questions which will confirm if you are eligible to apply online.

I applied online on Feb 9th this year after I stumbled on this link and was a citizen 68 days later on April 18th, so I can certainly recommend online filing if you are eligible. The processing time tracker on the USCIS website suggested I should expect a turnaround of something like 200+ days at the LA County field office, so applying online was about 60% faster than the paper approach in my case. Even my interview officer was surprised at how quickly my case had been processed.

If you are eligible to file online, I would recommend reading the PDF on the USCIS website that explains how to fill out the paper N-400 form and getting together the various supporting documents (tax returns, scan of green card etc.) that you are required to submit with your application. The instructions explain what supporting docs are required based on what type of application you are making (marriage after 3 or 5 years, work, military etc.). These documents need to be scanned and attached to your online application, so it is best to have them available to attach as you are completing the sections of the application online. You can also save your application, log out of the account and log back in later if you find you are missing some of the support documents that they are requesting.

Once you are ready to file, you just enter your credit cards details and pay the application/biometric fee after you have completed the online application and attached the scanned supporting evidence documents and the priority date will be the day that you made the online payment.

With an online application, you also get to track the progress of your application and they scan each document that they send you (receipt notice, biometrics appointment, interview appointment) and put it in your online account so you get to see them a few days before they arrive in the mail.

I just filed online. I have an IOE number

47 minutes ago, mcdull said:

I just filed online. I have an IOE number

Congratulations. It will be interesting to see how quickly your case progresses. A word of advice on setting up the e-notifications that you can get from the myuscis.dhs.gov account you set up in order to file - check both notification by mobile text AND email for the account security code. There were a couple of times where I had it set up to text only and the texts with the 6 digit security code weren't coming through to my mobile phone (and other applicants) due to problems at the USCIS end. Once they fixed it, I amended the security set up so it emailed me the code as well so I could always get access and see what was going on.

You should expect them to send you the biometric notice first and the fingerprint appointment to be in 2-3 weeks from now. The PDF of the biometric notice will be loaded in your online account and they will text/email you to let you know of the change in status. They will also load the receipt of your application into your online account as a PDF too with a priority date of June 13th or Jun 12th (for some reason the dates in my account were always one day earlier than the date on which I took the action - applied on the 9th Feb, Priority Date of 8th Feb). The priority date will be shown on the receipt they send you for the application. After you have been to the biometric appointment the status should then change to inline for interview quite quickly, so it will be interesting to see your progress.

Did you file early? i.e is it less than three years that you have been married if you are applying based on marriage? If this is the case, they will wait until the three year anniversary date is passed before starting to process your application.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Texaco5 said:

Congratulations. It will be interesting to see how quickly your case progresses. A word of advice on setting up the e-notifications that you can get from the myuscis.dhs.gov account you set up in order to file - check both notification by mobile text AND email for the account security code. There were a couple of times where I had it set up to text only and the texts with the 6 digit security code weren't coming through to my mobile phone (and other applicants) due to problems at the USCIS end. Once they fixed it, I amended the security set up so it emailed me the code as well so I could always get access and see what was going on.

You should expect them to send you the biometric notice first and the fingerprint appointment to be in 2-3 weeks from now. The PDF of the biometric notice will be loaded in your online account and they will text/email you to let you know of the change in status. They will also load the receipt of your application into your online account as a PDF too with a priority date of June 13th or Jun 12th (for some reason the dates in my account were always one day earlier than the date on which I took the action - applied on the 9th Feb, Priority Date of 8th Feb). The priority date will be shown on the receipt they send you for the application. After you have been to the biometric appointment the status should then change to inline for interview quite quickly, so it will be interesting to see your progress.

Did you file early? i.e is it less than three years that you have been married if you are applying based on marriage? If this is the case, they will wait until the three year anniversary date is passed before starting to process your application.

Thank you very much for your advice. Yes, I set up e-notification. My e-mail also receives codes. Did USCIS finally fix ELIS? I hope my case doesn't get stuck in their already[crumbled system.

I am filing 90 days early with a pending i751. Got few international business trips coming up in the next few months so hopefully, the dates all work out!  

I did use the e-filing two years ago with my i90 and it took a total of 26 days from filing to actually received my card. was very impressed.

8 minutes ago, mcdull said:

Did USCIS finally fix ELIS? I hope my case doesn't get stuck in their already crumbled system.

I am filing 90 days early with a pending i751.

Yes, they fixed the workflow first - the horror stories are from some paper applicants who had their applications converted to ELIS by the USCIS at a time when the ELIS system couldn't cope as it wasn't well tested/proven last year. I didn't know about this until after I had applied online, however I have no complaints other than the online application system was a little glitchy in places (appeared to accept what I had entered when it hadn't and vice versa). Now you have applied you can actually get the ELIS system to populate the data you entered into a PDF equivalent of a paper N-400 and print it out. I'd recommend doing that just to see that it has accepted your data properly. If it appears not to have accepted all the data properly, don't worry, it can be fixed at the interview which is what I did.

Since you're filing early, they are likely to wait until the anniversary date of the marriage-based green card if it is less than 3 years, so you will get a receipt but may not get the biometric appointment until the anniversary date has passed. I've seen something from other applicants about applying early and USCIS waiting until the data has passed before moving forward. Either way, keep us posted.

Edited by Texaco5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Great, thank you! One more question. I would like to include a cover letter because thats what i did for my PR card application. Do you think its important/relevant to include a cover letter ?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SamBillz said:

Great, thank you! One more question. I would like to include a cover letter because thats what i did for my PR card application. Do you think its important/relevant to include a cover letter ?

I reckoned that you can and wouldn't hurt. Under "Evidence" there is a section where you could upload any other evidence for immigration officers to consider.

what specifically are the qualifications to file online? i tried creating an account yesterday and it said that i am not qualified :( 

----

6/12/2016 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions

----

ROC

Spoiler

6/20/2016 (Day 0) - ROC Package (i-761) sent via USPS Priority Mail

6/21/2016 (Day 1) - ROC Package delivered at CSC Laguna Niguel & signed for by J Siplivy

6/28/2016 (Day 8) - Check cashed and NOA dated 6/21/2016 received in the mail

7/18/2016 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment done at Santa Ana ASC

2/28/2017 (Day 254) - Spouse received call from immigration officer verifying if we still lived together at our current address. He ended the conversation by saying we our approved and no need for interview

3/3/2017 (Day 257) - Received approval letter in the mail! 

3/13/2017 (Day 267) - Online status updated - new card being produced

3/16/2017 (Day 270) - Online status updated - new card was mailed to me

3/20/2017 (Day 274) - 10 year green card on hand!! 

----

6/12/2017 - Eligible for Citizenship

----

N-400

6/13/2017 - N-400 package sent via USPS Priority Mail Express

6/16/2017 - N-400 fee cashed

6/19/2017 - NOA date - Priority date 6/15/17

6/30/2017 - Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail for 7/12/17

7/5/2017 - Walked in Tustin ASC for biometrics 

8/10/2017 - Case is in line for interview

1/22/2018 - N-400 interview date scheduled 

1/26/2018 - Received N-400 interview letter in the mail! Interview scheduled on Feb. 28 

2/28/2018 - Naturalization interview - recommended for approval! :)

3/20/2018 - Oath taking ceremony :dance:

Timeline
13 minutes ago, hellostranger57 said:

what specifically are the qualifications to file online? i tried creating an account yesterday and it said that i am not qualified :( 

The qualification criteria are pretty self-explanatory. If you are eligible to file as of the 12 of June, then try again today.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Beats me! I just happened to go online andstarted answering the questions. I guess based on the questions that i answered, the system allowed me to proceed. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, SamBillz said:

Beats me! I just happened to go online andstarted answering the questions. I guess based on the questions that i answered, the system allowed me to proceed. 

terrific. keep us posted. I hope IOE cases are moving faster this time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.