KPJP

K1 Visa for Ghana to US

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

We have applied for the K1 Visa by sending in the I-129F form.  Dec. 20th and Got our receipt number right away.  Got approved on May 22nd and received the I-797, Notice of Action.  We are very excited.  Know its another waiting game after waiting from Dec, 2016 till May 2017.

We are know waiting for the letter with the unique number for our case so that we can set an appointment for the Visa Interview in Ghana.  My question is can we proceed with the police report and or the medical report to makes things go faster.  Is there a way to make this procedure faster and more efficient.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KPJP

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wait until you get interview date

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

Thank you Iceman,  The question I wanted to asked is can we go ahead and get a police report?  Also if she live in S. Africa for 2 years will we need to get one from there if coming to the US.  If so how do we get that?  Thanks!

Timeline

You can get the police report no problem. It is valid for 6 months and I do believe that you need to get one from SA too. But, I am not 100% sure about that.

For the medical you will need to have your confirmation page from scheduling your appointment. If your case has been sent to Ghana from NVC you can schedule your appointment yourself before you get the letter. The letter the embassy sends from Ghana is only informational. Just go online and fill out the DS-160 application. When you finish it will give you a confirmation code. You will need that to go to GT Bank to pay the visa appointment fee. One you have paid that you can schedule your appointment online with the embassy and get your medical done. But, you first have to have your receipt confirmation code and DS-160 code before you can schedule. Hope this helps! Goodluck!

Timeline
56 minutes ago, jmhargreaves said:

You can get the police report no problem. It is valid for 6 months and I do believe that you need to get one from SA too. But, I am not 100% sure about that.

For the medical you will need to have your confirmation page from scheduling your appointment. If your case has been sent to Ghana from NVC you can schedule your appointment yourself before you get the letter. The letter the embassy sends from Ghana is only informational. Just go online and fill out the DS-160 application. When you finish it will give you a confirmation code. You will need that to go to GT Bank to pay the visa appointment fee. One you have paid that you can schedule your appointment online with the embassy and get your medical done. But, you first have to have your receipt confirmation code and DS-160 code before you can schedule. Hope this helps! Goodluck!

I am sorry to deviate from the current discussion but I have read on this forum that,after your case is sent to department of state, you need to call NVC for a case #, scan date and identification #.....is that necessary? and what are they for? Or I just wait for the letter with instructions.....your help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Timeline

Just wait till you hear from the embassy 

be patient. Good luck

Timeline
8 hours ago, NY&Kay said:

I am sorry to deviate from the current discussion but I have read on this forum that,after your case is sent to department of state, you need to call NVC for a case #, scan date and identification #.....is that necessary? and what are they for? Or I just wait for the letter with instructions.....your help will be much appreciated. Thanks

You have to wait for your case # etc from NVC after they send you a letter with that info they send your application to the embassy. Then the embassy is supposed to send a letter with further instructions. But a lot of the VJ members in Ghana are not getting those letters.

Timeline
2 hours ago, jmhargreaves said:

You have to wait for your case # etc from NVC after they send you a letter with that info they send your application to the embassy. Then the embassy is supposed to send a letter with further instructions. But a lot of the VJ members in Ghana are not getting those letters.

Thanks for the reply.....all the very best for your interview.

12 hours ago, NY&Kay said:

3 hours ago, jmhargreaves said:

NY&KY is taking the spousal visa route unlike OP, who is doing the K-1 route. Both have different directions. 

NY&KY, you have to get in contact with the NVC indeed to choose an agent, scan date etc etc. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Call the NVC to get your case number.   I called daily.  Once you have your case number, track it on the CEAC status checker.  Once it says "ready for interview" you can schedule your interview after you do the DS-160 and pay your visa fee.

I wouldn't suggest doing your medical right now.   Your medical has a 6 month validity and it must be valid when you reach the US.  I would say schedule your interview and then do your medical about a month before your interview.

Police reports are good for a year and you must have them from any country you've lived in for more than a year.   Your fiance will have to figure out how to get one from another country she's lived in. 

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I agree with @Unshakable Faith. Best to wait until you have your interview.

One correct though. The police reports are only good for 6 months, so I would not recommend getting it to early. (Some countries allow a year, Ghana isn't one of them.) It takes about 2-3 weeks to get the report, so make sure you have enough time to get it before he interview. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
16 minutes ago, O&GForever said:

I agree with @Unshakable Faith. Best to wait until you have your interview.

One correct though. The police reports are only good for 6 months, so I would not recommend getting it to early. (Some countries allow a year, Ghana isn't one of them.) It takes about 2-3 weeks to get the report, so make sure you have enough time to get it before he interview. 

Oh! Thank you, the one year validity must be country-specific. 

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Timeline
On 5/26/2017 at 3:27 PM, jmhargreaves said:

Thank you very much.  We just got approved last Friday and they will send the 129F and all information to NVC.  I already did the DS-160 and have a number but since they have not received anything yet I guess I will have to wait.  Another question:  I have figured out all the documents and no what I have to do going forward when they give the OK.  Do I need an agent???  I don't think I do but please let me know what you think!  Otherwise she lived in South Africa for 2 years and I think we are going to have to get the police report from there also.  Not sure.

I think we will go ahead with the police in Ghana.  We are 2 to 4 weeks from the US Embassy having all of her information and then they will tell about the getting the medical report.  Anything we can do to make this faster would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.