Kdw87

Multiple addresses?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So my husband and I own 4 properties. When we married we originally intended to live in our California residence, however he wanted to come out of early retirement (he can't sit still lol) and took a job in buffalo ny and so we bought a house there. We also have a house in Cincinnati. So our bills, health insurance etc have all been at different addresses as we have moved around etc. we can prove he owns them of course with deeds etc but I was wondering if this will look annoying to uscis?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Kdw87 said:

So my husband and I own 4 properties. When we married we originally intended to live in our California residence, however he wanted to come out of early retirement (he can't sit still lol) and took a job in buffalo ny and so we bought a house there. We also have a house in Cincinnati. So our bills, health insurance etc have all been at different addresses as we have moved around etc. we can prove he owns them of course with deeds etc but I was wondering if this will look annoying to uscis?  

Show things with both names on them covering your time married and don't worry if they will be annoyed. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Show things with both names on them covering your time married and don't worry if they will be annoyed. 

Hahah, exactly! Unfortunately, it might be more annoying for you since you'll just have to gather more evidence..but USCIS is being paid to go through your case and figure it out, it's their job. Don't worry about it.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Ok cool :) I guess I just get myself anxious reading all the horror stories of what can go wrong! One more thing, my hubby has a Ohio drivers license and I obtained mine when we were living in california. I don't really wanna change mine since I'd have to retest again if we ever end up back in California. Will they take issue? As I remember in our AOS interview she took massive issue about the drivers licenses having different states. We didn't think anything of it as we own both the houses that they are registered at. Seemed like an odd issue.

Thanks guys

Edited by Kdw87

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Kdw87 said:

Ok cool :) I guess I just get myself anxious reading all the horror stories of what can go wrong! One more thing, my hubby has a Ohio drivers license and I obtained mine when we were living in california. I don't really wanna change mine since I'd have to retest again if we ever end up back in California. Will they take issue? As I remember in our AOS interview she took massive issue about the drivers licenses having different states. We didn't think anything of it as we own both the houses that they are registered at. Seemed like an odd issue.

Thanks guys

I can't say for sure since I'm not in this situation myself, but here's what I would do: write a letter explaining the situation with the multiple residencies and why you have different state issued licenses. You can say exactly what you said here: that you want to maintain your CA license for those reasons.

Then I would just include a bunch of other evidence showing that you do actually live together in one place....anything which possibly has both names on it, any kind of mail which shows you do in fact live at one address.

I'm not even sure that you have to include a driver's license at all? It really doesn't prove anything, especially if they are from different states. Maybe just don't even send it in at all? That's something to think about.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Timeline

Im going to try to make this simple since it can get confusing. 

You can only live in one place at once.

You may own multiple properties but you can only LIVE in one at a time. Following me here? Maybe you live in CA during the winter months and OH in the summer and NY in the spring. Each property is technically your residence but you are only occupying one residence at a time. It can be for a period of days or months at a time- the time spent at each is irrelevant.

Now as silly as it sounds- when you move from state to state you are expected to obtain a drivers license in each one for the time you are "residing" there. According to state laws (which vary) you have 30-60-90 days from when you move into the state to obtain the states DL. Of course in practicality most people who have summer and winter homes in different states do not change their license every time they go back and forth. For them, they consider themselves to have one primary residence and a secondary residence. They are typically not hassled if stopped for a driving violation for having an "out of state license', but they can run into issues when proving residency in said state when they dont have the proper IDs.

For USCIS- your DL is used for a number of things. During ROC they like to see both spouses DLs. They use the signatures on them to compare to the signatures on the form. This would prevent you from falsely signing your spouses name to a joint ROC with out them knowing. It is also you showing joint residences since you made "sworn" statements to the state and provided documentation to obtain said address on the license.

Apparently you and your husband have different state licenses. Is it a problem? Probably. But its a very minor issue. As you saw it was an issue with AOS. The Officer can put it in the "negative" column. Basically if you state you both are currently residing at the NY home (and you mailed your ROC packet to the service center with jurisdiction for that area- and possibly have an interview at the local NY office) well, you are showing them that you are violating NY laws about changing your license over in the required time. This makes you a person of poor moral character but like I said its a very small strike against you. It would be better if you guys had the same address and took the position of thats the main home and the others are secondary residences, but it is what it is.

The way ROC works things get put into positive and negative columns. If you have more negative then positive or the negatives are strong negatives you can be denied. It would be rare and honestly shocking if they consider your lack of changing DL enough to warrant a denial. (Youd probably win on appeal as well).

You need to focus on the evidence you do have. Its going to take a bit more work then others have to put in to assemble your packet. You are going to want to find proof of sharing the same homes at the same time. Prepare it in chronological order and attach evidence as you go.

For example-

Jan 2014-April 2014 occupied CA home. Attach bills showing increased use of utilities, bank statements showing purchases in CA made by both of you for the benefit of both of you. 

May 2014- Oct 2014 occupied NY home. Evidence attached in the same fashion

Oct 2014-Feb 2015 occupied OH home. etc, etc

Make it as clear as you can- almost like you are spelling it out for a child. USCIS will not connect the dots, you need to present it connected. 

Its also OK if you guys were not in the same home at the same time every single day of the marriage. You are not required to be! But for any periods where you were apart provide an explanation and supporting evidence of it. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Damara said:

Im going to try to make this simple since it can get confusing. 

You can only live in one place at once.

You may own multiple properties but you can only LIVE in one at a time. Following me here? Maybe you live in CA during the winter months and OH in the summer and NY in the spring. Each property is technically your residence but you are only occupying one residence at a time. It can be for a period of days or months at a time- the time spent at each is irrelevant.

Now as silly as it sounds- when you move from state to state you are expected to obtain a drivers license in each one for the time you are "residing" there. According to state laws (which vary) you have 30-60-90 days from when you move into the state to obtain the states DL. Of course in practicality most people who have summer and winter homes in different states do not change their license every time they go back and forth. For them, they consider themselves to have one primary residence and a secondary residence. They are typically not hassled if stopped for a driving violation for having an "out of state license', but they can run into issues when proving residency in said state when they dont have the proper IDs.

For USCIS- your DL is used for a number of things. During ROC they like to see both spouses DLs. They use the signatures on them to compare to the signatures on the form. This would prevent you from falsely signing your spouses name to a joint ROC with out them knowing. It is also you showing joint residences since you made "sworn" statements to the state and provided documentation to obtain said address on the license.

Apparently you and your husband have different state licenses. Is it a problem? Probably. But its a very minor issue. As you saw it was an issue with AOS. The Officer can put it in the "negative" column. Basically if you state you both are currently residing at the NY home (and you mailed your ROC packet to the service center with jurisdiction for that area- and possibly have an interview at the local NY office) well, you are showing them that you are violating NY laws about changing your license over in the required time. This makes you a person of poor moral character but like I said its a very small strike against you. It would be better if you guys had the same address and took the position of thats the main home and the others are secondary residences, but it is what it is.

The way ROC works things get put into positive and negative columns. If you have more negative then positive or the negatives are strong negatives you can be denied. It would be rare and honestly shocking if they consider your lack of changing DL enough to warrant a denial. (Youd probably win on appeal as well).

You need to focus on the evidence you do have. Its going to take a bit more work then others have to put in to assemble your packet. You are going to want to find proof of sharing the same homes at the same time. Prepare it in chronological order and attach evidence as you go.

For example-

Jan 2014-April 2014 occupied CA home. Attach bills showing increased use of utilities, bank statements showing purchases in CA made by both of you for the benefit of both of you. 

May 2014- Oct 2014 occupied NY home. Evidence attached in the same fashion

Oct 2014-Feb 2015 occupied OH home. etc, etc

Make it as clear as you can- almost like you are spelling it out for a child. USCIS will not connect the dots, you need to present it connected. 

Its also OK if you guys were not in the same home at the same time every single day of the marriage. You are not required to be! But for any periods where you were apart provide an explanation and supporting evidence of it. 

I see, both our names are on most of the utilities, only ones that aren't is because they only allow one named account holder. We have utilities to pay year round for all properties to keep them running, like lights and heating on timers/sensors.l etc. I pay them all online though as it's the only way I can see what's owed without being at each property, but I have all the paper bills aside waiting when we do go to the properties. I think my 2 year green card expires in February so I will start organizing things way in advance. I just worry because it's obviously not a traditional cut and dry marriage in one house in one state all the time. Thanks so much for the response it's really nice of you to be so helpful :)

Timeline

Just to interject a more simple theory.....

i think if you have both names on electric bills (for example) in four different states, then you are showing you commingle your finances and financial responsibilities. That's a big deal. If you have both names on deeds to multiple properties, you commingle your finances.  That's a separate proof from showing you live together at the same address, but a really, really good one. Who puts a fake spouse paying them for a greencard on four deeds? 

Provide the best picture you can. If you don't have matching driver licenses, then leave that out. Or go get a matching license tomorrow.  My wife had her children as beneficiary to her IRA. Did she send that and try to explain why she chose them? NO. She sent savings accounts we held jointly. Pick good stuff like joint accounts and joint credit cards. Leave out the not helpful single accounts whether it be utilities or money or property.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Just to interject a more simple theory.....

i think if you have both names on electric bills (for example) in four different states, then you are showing you commingle your finances and financial responsibilities. That's a big deal. If you have both names on deeds to multiple properties, you commingle your finances.  That's a separate proof from showing you live together at the same address, but a really, really good one. Who puts a fake spouse paying them for a greencard on four deeds? 

Provide the best picture you can. If you don't have matching driver licenses, then leave that out. Or go get a matching license tomorrow.  My wife had her children as beneficiary to her IRA. Did she send that and try to explain why she chose them? NO. She sent savings accounts we held jointly. Pick good stuff like joint accounts and joint credit cards. Leave out the not helpful single accounts whether it be utilities or money or property.

Unfortunately I'm not on any of the properties as 3 were purchased before we met and i wasn't in the country when the sale of the ny one went through. We talked to a friend who knows about that stuff about putting me on and were warned that we might be subject to gift tax or some hefty tax by later adding me to the deeds? However we don't have a prenup so it doesn't matter to us. I also am not employed as my husbands income is more than enough to support us for the time being, it also gives us the flexibility to travel and not have to both coincide time off work. 

Timeline

I'm also obviously named on the will and would be taken care of in case of anything bad happening too. However if we did ever divorce or anything down the road, I'd probably move back to England anyway. I'm only here to be with him so divorce would mean no other reason for being here. Hopefully that never happens though!

11 hours ago, Kdw87 said:

Unfortunately I'm not on any of the properties as 3 were purchased before we met and i wasn't in the country when the sale of the ny one went through. We talked to a friend who knows about that stuff about putting me on and were warned that we might be subject to gift tax or some hefty tax by later adding me to the deeds? However we don't have a prenup so it doesn't matter to us. I also am not employed as my husbands income is more than enough to support us for the time being, it also gives us the flexibility to travel and not have to both coincide time off work. 

I'm not an attorney, but I find it hard to believe that you'd be subject to gift taxes if you, the spouse, were added to the deed of a property in a community property state.  You might want to discuss that with an attorney.  I think it makes sense for you to be added to the deed of at least one of the homes, and then you could include that as evidence as well.

Good luck!!

My husband and I are using three different addresses for our ROC.   Our US address, our military overseas APO box address and our German physical address.  Oh well if it looks confusing, too late now, the package gets mailed on Thursday lol

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Timeline
49 minutes ago, ddtenor2 said:

I'm not an attorney, but I find it hard to believe that you'd be subject to gift taxes if you, the spouse, were added to the deed of a property in a community property state.  You might want to discuss that with an attorney.  I think it makes sense for you to be added to the deed of at least one of the homes, and then you could include that as evidence as well.

Good luck!!

It's probably an IRS question. Exempt usually if the gift is to the spouse.

However we got ROC easily with only one owning the property and on the utility bills. They look at lots of things. 

Timeline

Yeah I'll ask the hubby about putting me on. It's literally only for their sake though as I don't really care. Same goes for all the other stuff, I feel like it's all for the sole benefit of satisfying the roc when in real life I bet most couples don't really give a hoot who's names on what. Thanks though guys I just think too much haha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.