MrsJerradi

Salam!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi All,

I hope you guys are well. I am fairly new here. I am from Mississippi but currently live in Oregon, USA. My fiance lives in Casablance, Maroc. We met online and have dated roughly 4 years now. We would have married sooner but I needed to finish school first. Well, I have finished undergrad and currently am in graduate school. I am so anxious to marry the owner of my heart. (L)

I have no idea how to go about it because of the current circumstances ( the US president). I wanted to apply for a K1 visa but we are afraid to do so since his discouraging experience with the embassy when we applied for a vistor visa so that he could attend my graduation (denied). I am thinking that it might be better if we marry somewhere else other than in the US. Any suggestions? I have been reading and searching through the forums here when I have time, gathering info. I have found this community to be so encouraging and nice that I feel free to write and ask for help!

I am thinking that I might even have to get a lawyer because our current political barrier. What is funny is that my father married a woman from Cameroon and he went through what I am going to go through but his process was much easier than what I imagine mine will be. 

The current president has had no impact on the fiance/spouse process (besides the travel bans for certain nationals, which is currently blocked). A lawyer is generally not needed unless there are unusual circumstances...most people here have done this as a DIY journey.

A denied visitor visa generally has no impact on a K-1 visa. These are significantly different types of visas with very different criteria for eligibility.

Even if you married somewhere else, he would still need to interview somewhere that he has legal residency. I would suggest picking the visa that's right for both of you given your circumstances. A K-1 is more expensive and doesn't permit him to work or travel abroad for about 3-4 months after getting married and filing for AOS. It's also more expensive, but only takes ~6-8 months. A CR-1 visa grants a green card immediately (and therefore the right to work and ability to travel) and is cheaper, but takes longer (~12-14 months).

Comparison guide (ignore K-3...it's obsolete): http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

K-1: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

CR-1: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Edit: Morocco is considered a high fraud embassy, so be sure to provide plenty of relationship evidence. Face time is important.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Morocco is a difficult country for obtaining a US visa, regardless of the political climate. The choice K1 vs CR1 or lawyer vs no lawyer is also not currently influenced by policy. 

I hope you have spent the last four years wisely, and me each other several times, gathering evidence of genuine relationship?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline
7 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The current president has had no impact on the fiance/spouse process (besides the travel bans for certain nationals, which is currently blocked). A lawyer is generally not needed unless there are unusual circumstances...most people here have done this as a DIY journey.

A denied visitor visa generally has no impact on a K-1 visa. These are significantly different types of visas with very different criteria for eligibility.

Even if you married somewhere else, he would still need to interview somewhere that he has legal residency. I would suggest picking the visa that's right for both of you given your circumstances. A K-1 is more expensive and doesn't permit him to work or travel abroad for about 3-4 months after getting married and filing for AOS. It's also more expensive, but only takes ~6-8 months. A CR-1 visa grants a green card immediately (and therefore the right to work and ability to travel) and is cheaper, but takes longer (!12-14 months).

Comparison guide (ignore K-3...it's obsolete): http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

K-1: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

CR-1: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Thank you for your time and information! I do not think we have unusal circumstances. I do wonder if the weigh heavily on the fiance's income, education, status, etc. I will have to evaluate carefully because as another poster has said, obtaining a visa in Morocco is already difficult. The whole process is intimidating you know? Again, thank you for your help. :)

Timeline
8 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

Morocco is a difficult country for obtaining a US visa, regardless of the political climate. The choice K1 vs CR1 or lawyer vs no lawyer is also not currently influenced by policy. 

I hope you have spent the last four years wisely, and me each other several times, gathering evidence of genuine relationship?

I love your quote, haha it applies so well here. We have met twice and will be meeting again in August, in Thailand. We have had ups and downs but I'm sure the evidence is substantial enough to prove our relationship.

Just now, MrsJerradi said:

Thank you for your time and information! I do not think we have unusal circumstances. I do wonder if the weigh heavily on the fiance's income, education, status, etc. I will have to evaluate carefully because as another poster has said, obtaining a visa in Morocco is already difficult. The whole process is intimidating you know? Again, thank you for your help. :)

No problem! Nothing you've noted is unusual.

Are you near the same age? Same religion? Anything else that would be unusual in Moroccan culture? I wouldn't overly look for things...just asking if there's something sticking out that would considered unusual or a otherwise a red flag. Even if so, it just means you need more evidence to prove a real relationship.

How much the USC makes won't directly matter, but they will need to fill out an affidavit of support showing that they are able to support the beneficiary. This is 100% of the federal poverty level for your household size for the K-1, and 125% for a CR-1 or during AOS (after entry on the K-1). Education, status (whatever that means?), etc. won't matter.

Yeah, it's a tough embassy. But don't let that discourage you. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

No problem! Nothing you've noted is unusual.

Are you near the same age? Same religion? Anything else that would be unusual in Moroccan culture? I wouldn't overly look for things...just asking if there's something sticking out that would considered unusual or a otherwise a red flag. Even if so, it just means you need more evidence to prove a real relationship.

How much the USC makes won't directly matter, but they will need to fill out an affidavit of support showing that they are able to support the beneficiary. This is 100% of the federal poverty level for your household size for the K-1, and 125% for a CR-1 or during AOS (after entry on the K-1). Education, status (whatever that means?), etc. won't matter.

Yeah, it's a tough embassy. But don't let that discourage you. :)

Lol, when I say status, I mean middle class, income level, etc - bad word choice. Sorry

Yes we are close in age, we are not the same religion, and we communicate well in English? I am still learning about Moroccan culture and so far, I do not see any other red flags.

I will not let it discourage me. :)

4 minutes ago, MrsJerradi said:

Lol, when I say status, I mean middle class, income level, etc - bad word choice. Sorry

Yes we are close in age, we are not the same religion, and we communicate well in English? I am still learning about Moroccan culture and so far, I do not see any other red flags.

I will not let it discourage me. :)

Ah, no problem. Those factors shouldn't matter.

Good luck! :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
3 hours ago, EandH0904 said:

Have you been to Morocco and met his family? Why are you meeting in Thailand and not just going to Morocco? Just cause its closer? 

I met his family the first time I met him. They are aware of our plans and our immediate family. We like to travel so we have been meeting in different countries. We try to do it as often as every 3 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Welcome to the VJ forums! ^_^

As others have said, Morocco is a tough country to go through for both K1/CR1, but not impossible! As long as you have spent a lot of time together in person, which it sounds like you have, the K1 fiance or CR1 spousal visa should be attainable for you. Some other red flags that the consulate looks for are large age differences (for example 10+ year difference, especially if the woman is older than the man), and cultural/religious differences. These red flags can still be overcome however, with large amounts of genuine relationship evidence, mainly spending a lot of time together in person. It looks like you don't have any of these red flags, which is a good thing for you and your fiance. :P

As for his visitor visa being denied, that is a very common occurrence in Morocco. The visitor visa is much different than the K1/CR1 in that the visitor must prove his ties to his native country, which can be difficult for a young single man. My fiance and I also thought about him applying for a visitor visa, but in the end we decided against it because I knew his ties were not strong enough. With the K1/CR1 visa, they know the intent of the beneficiary is to come to the US. 

The current political situation is rough, but it doesn't really have an effect on these kinds of visas. The K1 visa is a bit faster than the spousal visa (about 6-7 months on average), but it also ends of costing a bit more for the AOS stage once your fiance arrives in the US and you get married. The CR1 spousal visa costs a bit less, but takes around 1 year to process and for your husband to enter the US. Another thing about the spousal visa is that if you are planning on getting married in Morocco, you will need to give yourself about a month's worth of time to be there and handle all of the paperwork (marriage in Morocco takes a long time...) For this reason, my fiance and I decided to go the K1 route, because I can't take more than 2 weeks off of work at a time. Both visas will require the same amount of genuine relationship evidence and proof of time spent together. For both visas, there is not much a lawyer can do to help you, you could probably file on your own and be just fine. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline
1 hour ago, RJandHamid said:

Welcome to the VJ forums! ^_^

As others have said, Morocco is a tough country to go through for both K1/CR1, but not impossible! As long as you have spent a lot of time together in person, which it sounds like you have, the K1 fiance or CR1 spousal visa should be attainable for you. Some other red flags that the consulate looks for are large age differences (for example 10+ year difference, especially if the woman is older than the man), and cultural/religious differences. These red flags can still be overcome however, with large amounts of genuine relationship evidence, mainly spending a lot of time together in person. It looks like you don't have any of these red flags, which is a good thing for you and your fiance. :P

As for his visitor visa being denied, that is a very common occurrence in Morocco. The visitor visa is much different than the K1/CR1 in that the visitor must prove his ties to his native country, which can be difficult for a young single man. My fiance and I also thought about him applying for a visitor visa, but in the end we decided against it because I knew his ties were not strong enough. With the K1/CR1 visa, they know the intent of the beneficiary is to come to the US. 

The current political situation is rough, but it doesn't really have an effect on these kinds of visas. The K1 visa is a bit faster than the spousal visa (about 6-7 months on average), but it also ends of costing a bit more for the AOS stage once your fiance arrives in the US and you get married. The CR1 spousal visa costs a bit less, but takes around 1 year to process and for your husband to enter the US. Another thing about the spousal visa is that if you are planning on getting married in Morocco, you will need to give yourself about a month's worth of time to be there and handle all of the paperwork (marriage in Morocco takes a long time...) For this reason, my fiance and I decided to go the K1 route, because I can't take more than 2 weeks off of work at a time. Both visas will require the same amount of genuine relationship evidence and proof of time spent together. For both visas, there is not much a lawyer can do to help you, you could probably file on your own and be just fine. 

Ah, wow. You shared some great insight! I was leaning towards the CR1 visa but like you, I would not be able to take off of work that long. We had considered getting married elsewhere too but I think it might just be better to apply for the K1 visa. I am still considering all options. When I first started talking to him, I did not think things would get so serious so I have got to get all of our chat history together lol. It is unfortunate a lawyer cannot make a difference. Again, thank you :) <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi welcome to VJ. Make sure you take pics of your visits together. Great evidence. Save all the travel tickets for the planes, trains etc... I even submitted our grocery receipts since I lived there for a few months each visit.  We had a harder hill to climb than what you have wrote about your situation....many red flags. If you two are very sure about your relationship, why not get married there in Maroc? Its a wonderful experience and very festive compared to here. I loved the experience. If you're organized enough ahead of time with everything it only took us 2 weeks for all the paperwork and running around to complete. Good Luck with everything.

event.png

event.png