tnad

Staying outside US on a green card. More strict rules now?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hi,

My dad has a green card and for the last 7 years he's been coming to the US for about 1 to 2 months every 6 months with no problems with immigration at the airport. Last year, he was told that there are changes in the rules and that he could stay up to one year outside the US. After 10 months outside, he came back and was held for hours at LAX, threatened that they will take his green card and told that a warning was put on his record. What is going on? Were the rules changed again? I'm trying to figure out the safest way to travel back and forth. He can't really afford living in US for long periods of time, but we don't want to lose his green card and be at the mercy of consulates for getting a visa to visit us.

Married March 11, 2013

NOA1 I-130 March 22, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 08, 2013

NOA2 I-130 Dec 19, 2013

1 hour ago, Transborderwife said:

Your father has always been in violation of his greencard then and abusing it.  Greencard is to be a permanent resident...not a temporary visitor.  If he cannot afford to live here full time it's time to go.

1 hour ago, f f said:

well if he can't afford to live in the us then he should give up his green card and just get a b2 visa. the green card is ment to let you live in the us not visit it. the rules have not changed he was never allowed to do as you described they are just being more strict with the enforcement of the rules now. he should either flip it so he spends more time in the us than out of it or plan on losing his green card at some point.

48 minutes ago, JFH said:

The rules haven't changed - they are being more strictly enforced now. Just as Trump said he would do during all of his pre-election speeches. People are now realizing he meant it. 

I have to say I have no sympathy for your father. People in capped categories (F4, for example) wait years and years for an immigrant visa (which leads to a green card) to become available because the numbers are limited and then there are people who are using them as tourist visas. If your dad cannot or will not live here, what does he need a green card for anyway? I don't understand your comment that he cannot risk losing it. Why not? He never used it for its intended purpose so why should he keep it? 

I agree with all of you.

If he doesn't need his GC he should give it back and get a visitor visa.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.