Joy143

Removal of condition

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone, I came here through fiance visa and obtained 2 yrs conditional greencard  things doesn't work and we got divorced . My question is should  I will wait 90 days before the expiration of my greencard to process my removal of condition , or I can now process my Removal  of  condition and I dont have to wait the 90 days since I already have my devorce decree?

.My greencard will expire on November 2017. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am not sure if I fully understand your question, but if you are asking if you can file the ROC early, I don't think so.  You should count back 90 days from the expiration date on your GC and file no earlier than that, or risk having your package returned.  I don't think divorce changes this.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

You can only file your ROC 90 days preceeding your conditional GC's expiry. Given the amount of time you have now, you can prepare your documents in advance and go through them thoroughly to ensure that they are complete and sufficient especially on evidence of bona fide marriage/you entered the marriage in good faith :)

Sorry to hear about your divorce and good luck with your ROC!

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is the official website. If you'll read the section that applies to your situation, you see that you can apply now.

"If You Are No Longer Married To Your Spouse or If You Have Been Battered or Abused by Your U.S.-Citizen or Lawful Permanent-Resident Spouse or Parent

You can apply to waive the joint filing requirement if you are no longer married to your spouse, or if you have been battered or abused by your U.S.-citizen or lawful permanent-resident spouse or parent.

In such cases, you may apply to remove the conditions on your permanent residence at any time after you become a conditional resident, but before you are removed from the country. You must provide evidence that removal from the United States would cause you extreme hardship."

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You do not have to wait. You shouldn't.

You can file as soon as you have your divorce decree.

Good luck!

PS: I know this for a fact because I did it myself.

Edited by Mollie09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

If the divorce is finalized, you are eligible to file anytime you want. "finalized" is the key word here; if the divorce proceedings are still going on you need to wait for the 90 days unless there is battery/abusal is also involved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I agree with the other commentators above.  The only thing I would add is that if there was no spousal abuse, as long as you can prove that your marriage was a bona fide relationship and in no way you meant to deceive the authorities, then you can proceed for ROC without problems, making sure you provide evidence of bona fide conduct.

Archie

• 3 weeks later...

My immigration attorney was present with me at my AOS interview. I was approved on the spot. As we were leaving he said although he didn't want to put a dampener on the day he wanted to let us know what to do if we were to divorce or if my husband died between then and applying for my ROC. I believe he stated that if me and my husband divorced I would need to ROC straight away and not wait for the 2 years. Anyone feel free to correct me if Im wrong (it was a long time ago!).

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.